• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Skyward Sword is the Best Zelda Game of All Time: Agree or Disagree

supercolester13

Dark Tingle
I can't say cause i've never played it before, but if its anything like twilight princess than it might be the best. but who knows?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
*Spoilers Ahead*

I had some major problems with Skyward Sword. The biggest issue I had was that it was a Zelda game. Don't worry, I will elaborate on that.

First, I found the controls clunky. I have the integrated WM+ rather than the add on device so I figured I'd be in for a smoother ride but no joy. I was having to recalibrate in the middle of fights and still had Link swinging the wrong way and wildly missing arrow shots. I lost fights I had no business losing because of miscalibration.

Then there was the stuff that made no sense. The bird controls were one example. Another was the fact that you couldn't walk from one place on the surface to another. The Goron could, the Mogmas could. Clearly it could be done. Usually, the Goron beat you to where you were going. Why the need to fly? I would have even been okay if there had been some obstruction that required the tablets to clear at first and then you could walk but no joy.

The biggest problem in my opinion was the story. OoT had 2 direct sequels. Majoras Mask was the child timeline sequel and Twilight Princess was the adult timeline sequel. All of those games had things in common. They connected with each other in little ways and big ways. If you played all 3 you could go through them and say "OH! YEAH! That makes sense!" Skyward Sword was supposed to be a prequel to all of that but it barely connected to any of it despite numerous obvious opportunities to do so.

In one of the million or so fetch quests you find yourself planting a magic tree. This is an easy one, make it the Deku Tree. Nope, just a regular magic tree.
No Zoras, limited Gorons and the introduction of robots, mogmas and kikwis who have not been seen since (chronologically).
The Dragons made no sense. I mean, in Twilight Princess, it was established that there were light spirits (who incidentally had the same names as the dragons), why not run fetch quests for them?
The whole scene at the end with Demise's curse felt rushed to me. It was almost like they made the game they wanted to make and then remembered that it was supposed to be a Zelda game so they needed to do something there at the end.

The game also lacked an epic feel. Twilight Princess was made for a lesser system but felt bigger somehow than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword just got tedious (don't get me started on tadtones).

The game itself wasn't bad, I just don't think it was a good addition to the Zelda series.

Lol Twilight princess was not a direct sequel to Ocarina of time on the adult time line, wind waker was. Twilight princess comes after Majora's mask on the child time line. Have you seen the official time line yet?

Lol Twilight princess was not a direct sequel to Ocarina of time on the adult time line, wind waker was. Twilight princess comes after Majora's mask on the child time line. Have you seen the official time line yet?

No I've not seen the official timeline. I assumed that it was on the adult timeline because the sages were executing Ganondorf and, in the child timeline, he hadn't done much if anything to warrant an execution by the sages but he definitely deserved it in the adult timeline. Also, he was able to overpower the sages and I assumed that was because he had the Triforce of Power. I haven't played Wind Waker.

Anyway, even if I'm wrong about that one detail and I am fully willing to admit that I could be it doesn't matter for two reasons. First, TP takes place centuries after both timelines of OoT which would make any differences relatively minor historical footnotes as opposed to major recent events. I know this point is kind of debatable but to put it into perspective, imagine if Great Britain had granted the American Colonies independence without a war in 1769. The result would be the same today, a few details would certainly be different but I don't think the United States would be a different country than it is now. The second reason, which is actually the more important of the two, is that the relatively minor error you pointed out doesn't change anything about my opinion of Skyward Sword...at all.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
No I've not seen the official timeline. I assumed that it was on the adult timeline because the sages were executing Ganondorf and, in the child timeline, he hadn't done much if anything to warrant an execution by the sages but he definitely deserved it in the adult timeline. Also, he was able to overpower the sages and I assumed that was because he had the Triforce of Power. I haven't played Wind Waker.

Anyway, even if I'm wrong about that one detail and I am fully willing to admit that I could be it doesn't matter for two reasons. First, TP takes place centuries after both timelines of OoT which would make any differences relatively minor historical footnotes as opposed to major recent events. I know this point is kind of debatable but to put it into perspective, imagine if Great Britain had granted the American Colonies independence without a war in 1769. The result would be the same today, a few details would certainly be different but I don't think the United States would be a different country than it is now. The second reason, which is actually the more important of the two, is that the relatively minor error you pointed out doesn't change anything about my opinion of Skyward Sword...at all.

In the official timeline, in the AT Ganon is sealed in the sacred realm. Why would they unseal him just to execute him? Officially he had been sealed, breaks out hundreds of years later and that precipitates the flooding of Hyrule and leads to the events of WW. In the CT Link tells Zelda what will happen if she goes with her stupid plan so she gives Link the OoT and sends him out of Hyrule so Ganon can never get all of the keys to the sacred realm, and I assume continues trying to expose his plan. Eventually she does, probably as an adult when she is in charge and he is captured and sentenced to death. Instead he kills one of the sages and in a panic they throw him into the Twilight Realm thinking they're safe now. Another hundred years or so later proves that theory to be hilariously wrong.

But that is neither here nor there. The world didn't seem as big in SS because Link didn't get a chance to explore it, he was more focused on finding Zelda and getting the Master Sword fully awakened. I'm sure more Gorons lived elsewhere. This is the very first game chronologically, taking place thousands of years before OoT, probably even Minish Cap. The Parella were the prototypes of Zoras, and that's the official word. They wanted the world to look vastly different from what we were used to seeing because it WAS. Think about how different our earth looked at the beginning of human history. What was once grasslands is now desert, earthquakes and volcanoes shaped entire landmasses in the blink of an eye, new islands created. Species have come and gone, whether through natural selection or human intervention. It's not so strange to believe the Zora evolved and the Kikwis and Mogmas were wiped out, whether through natural disaster or through war. Perhaps the dragons turned into light spirits. And you want to talk about continuity, if TP came after OoT, where did these provinces come from? They were not in OoT. Where was the temple of time in Castle Town? Why was it in the middle of Faron Woods? Actually that's not hard to explain: Countries change. Something could have made the Royal Family move the capital and the lost woods took over. Clearly the country expanded a bit since there was no evidence of an Ordona province in OoT. Kakariko was moved too, but it couldn't have once been where Old Kakariko was since it was right next to the castle which was right next to the Temple of Time and THAT for some reason is in the middle of the Lost Woods!

If you can accept that much change and inconsistancy in such a little time span between OoT and TP, it shouldn't be that hard to accept all the differences in SS.

Why unseal him just to execute him? Maybe they sealed him while they were figuring out what to do with him. Maybe they thought they could separate him from the Triforce but realized they couldn't and went with plan B. Maybe he busted out and gave them no choice.

Again, neither here nor there. As far as the world seeming smaller, I felt cheated. I get that Link didn't get to explore the whole world because he was focused on finding Zelda, awakening his sword and learning to play his harp but the truth is, he didn't have to do all of that in the same 3 places. Essentially every Zelda game I've played since OoT has been separated into 2 or 3 quests but very few required as much backtracking as SS did. In MM you played the same 3 days over and over and it felt less repetitive to me. Honestly, when I realized that the water area was just the forest area flooded by the water dragon, I thought about turning the game off. I didn't because I bought it new on release day and paid full price for it and felt like I would be wasting my money.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Well like I said, the official timeline as outlined in Hyrule Historia says that TP comes after MM in the CT, so it's really a moot point.

Personally I loved the flooding of Faron woods. It was really fun swimming around the trees, but that's just personal preference. Honestly Skyward Sword is now my second favorite Zelda game. It was epic, it had an awesome scary villain, a rich story, new weapons, the upgrading was a great addition. I admit the world was a little small but that's it's only detraction for me.

As far as the Twilight Princess error, I made a mistake and I admitted it. Not sure why we spent so much time talking about it.

As for whether or not SS is "the best" Zelda game, it's a matter of opinion. IMO, it isn't. It isn't the worst (*ahem* Adventure of Link, I'm looking at you) but I would hardly consider it the best because of the stuff I pointed out.

I think the last line of my original statement is the most important "The game itself wasn't bad, I just don't think it was a good addition to the Zelda series." I actually enjoyed the game as a game, I just didn't feel like I was playing a Zelda game while I was playing it and I've been playing Zelda games for almost 25 years.

For the record, I don't think there should have been a sidequest that had Link running around punching clawshot targets into the walls and such, I just think there should have been more connection with the rest of the series than there was. Again, it's just my opinion on the matter.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
As far as the Twilight Princess error, I made a mistake and I admitted it. Not sure why we spent so much time talking about it.

As for whether or not SS is "the best" Zelda game, it's a matter of opinion. IMO, it isn't. It isn't the worst (*ahem* Adventure of Link, I'm looking at you) but I would hardly consider it the best because of the stuff I pointed out.

I think the last line of my original statement is the most important "The game itself wasn't bad, I just don't think it was a good addition to the Zelda series." I actually enjoyed the game as a game, I just didn't feel like I was playing a Zelda game while I was playing it and I've been playing Zelda games for almost 25 years.

For the record, I don't think there should have been a sidequest that had Link running around punching clawshot targets into the walls and such, I just think there should have been more connection with the rest of the series than there was. Again, it's just my opinion on the matter.

Well I mean skyward sword is the first game in the time line, so of course its not going to have really any connections to the games that come after it in the time line.

We understand that you have your own opinions and that's great, but there are those people who will criticize your opinions so you'll have to get used to it somewhat. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's just the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom