• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword is ONLY for the Wii

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Hey guys, Aero here.
I've been seeing some recent talk about Skyward Sword being on the "Wii 2". Well, we can very assume that it won't be on the "Wii 2". There are many reasons, but they have already been posted on the other threads and websites that talk about it.

To get to the point, I can officially prove that Skyward Sword is only going to be released for the Wii. I recently e-mailed Nintendo about Skyward Sword being on another new console (on "Wii 2"), and heres what they said:

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana] has been officially announced for release only for the Wii, but hasn't been given a release date yet. When it is, our website's Game Guide (http://www.nintendo.com/games/guide) will be the best place to find it. Once there, use the questions on the left to filter based on system, genre, online play, etc. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]When you have narrowed your search, click on the game's title to see all the available information. If what you seek is not yet available, please check back later. When there is new information to share on announced games or other upcoming products, our website is the best official source![/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Remember, any posted release dates are estimates and subject to change. As a product's estimated release date approaches, you may wish to check with your local retailers to see when it may be available in your area.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Sincerely,

[/FONT]

Dervin Camden
Nintendo of America Inc.

That pretty much sums it all up for this "theory" on it being on the new console. Hope this clears up some confusion.

Ganondork

goo
Oh thank lord. I was really beginning to sweat it. I wouldn't be able to play it if it was on the Wii 2, so now I can breathe a little easier. Thanks for the info, Aero!!

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I kinda predicted this. I mean too little has been given about the Wii 2 for it to be released to it. And delaying another year would kill me inside.

Huh? I fail to see how this is a solid, final answer to that question.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has been officially announced for release only for the Wii, but hasn't been given a release date yet.

They've officially announced that it's only for the Wii, BUT they haven't given a release yet. This basically means nothing is finalized. Correct me I'm wrong because I wasn't exactly knowledgeable about the Zelda scene during the time leading up to TP's release, but didn't Twilight Princess have a release date set and everything PRIOR to them bumping it to being on the GameCube and Wii? Whether they did or not, it still means that the release decisions could change.

And of course, you got this information in a generic email directly from Nintendo. They've stated things in those that they changed later down the line before. I believe way back when some of these emails stated there was no definite timeline, but just recently Nintendo confirmed there IS an official timeline document. Nintendo emails are not trustworthy sources. Things like interviews and press announcements are much more solid, but even they have been false.

I hope it's only a Wii release, and I do kind of think it will be (partially because Skyward Sword's already been in development for a really long time). I'm just saying this email doesn't prove anything.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
That response is meaningless. He only told you that it has only been OFFICIALLY announced for the Wii. All that means is that they haven't announced it for any other consoles yet. Even if they were planning to release it for another console later on, he might have no way of knowing about it.

I mean, think about it. They want to keep selling Wii games in the meantime while they're planning a new console, right? As soon as they announce the new console, sales on the Wii start dropping. So it's in their best interest to keep any such plans under wraps until the console is released. Otherwise, it might hurt the sales of the Wii, or the Wii version of the game.

And think about it... I'm sure no one knew in 1998 that Ocarina of Time was going to be released for the Gamecube on a collection disc, on the Virtual Console, or on the 3DS. They just made the decision later.

In fact, I think that's how it was with putting TP on the Wii... they were expecting to have the game done before the Wii came out, but it got delayed, so they decided at the last minute to put it on the Wii, so as not to limit the audience to the older console. That's why they flipped the whole world around... they didn't have enough time to make a proper port. It wasn't as though they'd been planning to put it on both consoles from the start.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I find it dumb for Skyward Sword to be on Project Cafe. It is set for a 2011 release and Cafe is set for a 2012 release which was confirmed by Nintendo. This system is said to be more powerful then an XBOX 360 and a PS3. So why would a game like Skyward Sword be put on Project Cafe when there is a huge difference graphically and power wise. It made more sense with Twilight Princess seeing as how the Gamecube and the Wii are almost identical graphically and power wise. And also, why would Nintendo take away from Skyward Sword being the first Wii exclusive Zelda title? It happened once, it's not going to become a tradition. Who knows, Nintendo is probably working on another Zelda game exclusively for Cafe. They said it is going to be playable at E3 meaning I smell some games in the works.

In fact, I think that's how it was with putting TP on the Wii... they were expecting to have the game done before the Wii came out, but it got delayed, so they decided at the last minute to put it on the Wii, so as not to limit the audience to the older console. That's why they flipped the whole world around... they didn't have enough time to make a proper port. It wasn't as though they'd been planning to put it on both consoles from the start.
Ah, that's a really good point. I hadn't really thought of that as being the reason the Twilight Princess port was so rushed, but it makes a lot of sense.

I find it dumb for Skyward Sword to be on Project Cafe. It is set for a 2011 release and Cafe is set for a 2012 release which was confirmed by Nintendo. This system is said to be more powerful then an XBOX 360 and a PS3. So why would a game like Skyward Sword be put on Project Cafe when there is a huge difference graphically and power wise. It made more sense with Twilight Princess seeing as how the Gamecube and the Wii are almost identical graphically and power wise.
I agree for the most part about the release dates. As Athenian said, Twilight Princess was probably only ported because of how long it had already been delayed. A year is a while, so unless Skyward Sword gets delayed again, I'm pretty sure it would stay on the Wii. At the same time, I don't really see what the big deal about it being released on both is. How does that damage the game? The only drawback really is the game being delayed.

That's true about the graphics... provided those rumors are true. We don't really know any confirmed facts about this new Nintendo console. If I'm mistaken, feel free to point me to something, but to my understanding everything we've pretty much heard is just rumors, aside from the 2012 release date and that it will be playable at E3.

And also, why would Nintendo take away from Skyward Sword being the first Wii exclusive Zelda title? It happened once, it's not going to become a tradition. Who knows, Nintendo is probably working on another Zelda game exclusively for Cafe. They said it is going to be playable at E3 meaning I smell some games in the works.
Yeah, Nintendo is very unlikely to port it unless they have a good reason to. I also completely agree about them working on another Zelda game. In fact that's basically been confirmed. Miyamoto's supposed to be working on new Mario and Zelda games or something. They could be 3DS games, but they could also be Project Cafe or even both.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I agree for the most part about the release dates. As Athenian said, Twilight Princess was probably only ported because of how long it had already been delayed. A year is a while, so unless Skyward Sword gets delayed again, I'm pretty sure it would stay on the Wii. At the same time, I don't really see what the big deal about it being released on both is. How does that damage the game? The only drawback really is the game being delayed.

That's true about the graphics... provided those rumors are true. We don't really know any confirmed facts about this new Nintendo console. If I'm mistaken, feel free to point me to something, but to my understanding everything we've pretty much heard is just rumors, aside from the 2012 release date and that it will be playable at E3.

Yeah, Nintendo is very unlikely to port it unless they have a good reason to. I also completely agree about them working on another Zelda game. In fact that's basically been confirmed. Miyamoto's supposed to be working on new Mario and Zelda games or something. They could be 3DS games, but they could also be Project Cafe or even both.

Well being more powerful is just a rumor but very likely. And yeah, I forgot about the new Zelda game Miyamoto mentioned. I wonder what it could be....

But I find it a bit unnecessary to wait longer for a port. Yeah it ain't harming the game, but then you got to think about the controls. Skyward Sword is a game strictly for the Wii and takes advantage of its features. Project Cafe on the other hand has a control with a touch screen. How does that work? Unless they rework the controls all over again. But wait, I thought Skyward Sword was a Wii experience? There are rumors that Cafe can play Wii and Gamecube games, if this were to be true, what would the need for a port be? Like stated before, it's a Wii experience and using a different control takes that away.

Well, Aonuma wanted to create a Zelda game on the Wii since the beginning but development on TP took too long and was going to release with the Wii so they wanted to keep both set of people happy instead of limiting it to just the Gamecube owners so they took more time and ported it and had some issues at first with the camera and controls. They also saw that it would of been awkward to use a right hand to swing while Link swings with his left. So they ran outta time to actually rework Link's model and just flipped the game.

Well being more powerful is just a rumor but very likely. And yeah, I forgot about the new Zelda game Miyamoto mentioned. I wonder what it could be....
It is and it isn't. Of course the console is going to be more powerful than the Wii, it's just the question of how much more. Nintendo has rarely focused on being top of the line in terms of console power, especially lately. Nintendo crushed the other consoles this generation, so it's not like they need to change. At the same time, Nintendo has stated that they are trying to work more with 3rd party developers, and part of this will involve conforming to standards, at least if Nintendo is smart. This would make it much more likely, the only issue being Nintendo has NOT always made the smartest decisions. So we'll just have to wait and see, IMO.

But I find it a bit unnecessary to wait longer for a port. Yeah it ain't harming the game, but then you got to think about the controls. Skyward Sword is a game strictly for the Wii and takes advantage of its features. Project Cafe on the other hand has a control with a touch screen. How does that work? Unless they rework the controls all over again. But wait, I thought Skyward Sword was a Wii experience? There are rumors that Cafe can play Wii and Gamecube games, if this were to be true, what would the need for a port be? Like stated before, it's a Wii experience and using a different control takes that away.
I know, I don't want to wait either. What I was saying was what damage does it do ASIDE from the delay. What if it was delayed anyway, you know? Even if the controls are totally different on the new console, or even if the game is terrible on that console, what problems does that really cause? You just get it on the console it was meant for then. That's what I did with Twilight Princess; I'm content with my purchase.

Also, the touch screen stuff is yet another rumor. Additionally, unlike the graphics stuff, I find this one sort of baseless. It kind of makes sense but at the same time it sounds incredibly outlandish. So I wouldn't be so sure of that either.

I do agree with you partially on your last point though. Nintendo stated that the game was made for Wii. They never said that of Twilight Princess with the GameCube, nothing close to it. Because of this, I do legitimately believe their intention is, or at least was, to have it only on the Wii. That could still change though, and I still don't agree that it being a Wii experience means it will be hurt if ported onto another console. Just don't get that version.

Well, Aonuma wanted to create a Zelda game on the Wii since the beginning but development on TP took too long and was going to release with the Wii so they wanted to keep both set of people happy instead of limiting it to just the Gamecube owners so they took more time and ported it and had some issues at first with the camera and controls. They also saw that it would of been awkward to use a right hand to swing while Link swings with his left. So they ran outta time to actually rework Link's model and just flipped the game.
I don't think that really changes or disproves what Athenian was saying though...

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
It is and it isn't. Of course the console is going to be more powerful than the Wii, it's just the question of how much more. Nintendo has rarely focused on being top of the line in terms of console power, especially lately. Nintendo crushed the other consoles this generation, so it's not like they need to change. At the same time, Nintendo has stated that they are trying to work more with 3rd party developers, and part of this will involve conforming to standards, at least if Nintendo is smart. This would make it much more likely, the only issue being Nintendo has NOT always made the smartest decisions. So we'll just have to wait and see, IMO.

Well have you not seen the Nintendo 3DS? It actually rivals the Wii graphically. I don't see why a system that is gonna release in 2012 isn't gonna be more powerful then one that came out in 2005 and 2006 and their latest hand held. The Wii was more for family and casual gamers, the Nintendo 3DS is already showing that Nintendo is letting 3rd party developers do their best which is where they failed with the DS and the Nintendo Wii. Nintendo is trying to catch the attention of hardcore gamers now by letting companies do what they do best. Just take a look at the 3DS, Capcom is busting out two Resident Evil titles, Konami is coming out with a Metal Gear Solid title, and the list will continue to increase. These are serious games that Nintendo is allowing 3rd party developers do. Capcom said so themselves in the last issue of Nintendo Power. A change is needed and Nintendo is realizing it and I'm sure this new system will prove it. You're talking about the Next Generation here. Why will Nintendo release another system and still not be at the top until other companies copy them and announce their own system and go beyond them yet again and leave Nintendo still a lot less powerful or as powerful then a 360 or PS3. That's where Sega failed and Nintendo isn't going to do that.......At least I hope not. The Wii was too limited compared to a 360 and PS3. They need to show the other companies that they can innovate, be casual, and be hardcore with no limitations holding them back like the Wii.

I know, I don't want to wait either. What I was saying was what damage does it do ASIDE from the delay. What if it was delayed anyway, you know? Even if the controls are totally different on the new console, or even if the game is terrible on that console, what problems does that really cause? You just get it on the console it was meant for then. That's what I did with Twilight Princess; I'm content with my purchase.

Also, the touch screen stuff is yet another rumor. Additionally, unlike the graphics stuff, I find this one sort of baseless. It kind of makes sense but at the same time it sounds incredibly outlandish. So I wouldn't be so sure of that either.

I do agree with you partially on your last point though. Nintendo stated that the game was made for Wii. They never said that of Twilight Princess with the GameCube, nothing close to it. Because of this, I do legitimately believe their intention is, or at least was, to have it only on the Wii. That could still change though, and I still don't agree that it being a Wii experience means it will be hurt if ported onto another console. Just don't get that version.

I think the fact that it takes advantage of the motion plus and takes your swing into the game along with your shield makes it a Wii experience and a port that takes that away is just bad business. If this new console is as powerful as the rumors say, what's the point of a port? You'll need a remake, a complete overhaul on graphics. Otherwise it'll be a crappy port with nothing special to it then just being a port. At least Twilight Princess was unique and used motion controls. But that's just speculation, it could go anyway until we hear more about the console this E3. I just find it unnecessary and bad for business. And anyway, I thought this system was backward compatible. Or is that a rumor?

I don't think that really changes or disproves what Athenian was saying though...

I wasn't trying to say he was wrong just clarifying it a bit more from Aonuma's side. Proving it as fact.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom