• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword - Impa and time travel

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well, I've yet to see an example of a 'Fixed Timeline' in the series. If it were true, then the Split Timeline would virtually be impossible according to HH's logic. Parts of OoA and SS time travel kinda represent the Dynamic time travel theorem. I suspect this exception to the Multiverse rules played out at OoT's juncture were bent due to divine intervention... Hence the paradox effect that unfortunately rippled into the CT when Ganondorf received the ToP.

Oh I thought you just meant in general, not pretaining to the Zelda series really. Yeah the Zelda series sort of sticks to “Dynamic timeline theory” and “Multi-verse theory”. “Dynamic timeline theory” never gets executed correctly but sometimes it should happen with the paradoxes that are created in most games (especially with Skyward Sword).

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
Oh I thought you just meant in general, not pretaining to the Zelda series really. Yeah the Zelda series sort of sticks to “Dynamic timeline theory” and “Multi-verse theory”. “Dynamic timeline theory” never gets executed correctly but sometimes it should happen with the paradoxes that are created in most games (especially with Skyward Sword).

Nah, I was meaning in terms of the zeldaverse. Although I think Nintendo was trying harder not to contradict themselves with time travel in SS, but that's just IMO.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Has anyone seen Back to the Future??? That's the kinda time travel we are dealing with here.
Also in regards to this entire thread, what about the fact that the entire time you play through SS that Zelda is sealed away in the background as you see her in each of the temples so at least they are consistent.
As for OoT, I believe that (meaning this isn't a direct quote) HH or somewhere that I do not remember it is described that as Link pulls the Master Sword that the temple seals him away from the outside world bringing him to the future. In other words there would be no Link except him in the future because he was effectively taken out of the fabric of time for there to be 2 Link's in a single moment.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Yeah, I'm with others here, this isn't really a paradox. There's no law of physics that says two of the same person can't exist in the same timeline. Shoot, we have twins who share the exact same DNA in real life. Not to mention that at this point, one is older than the other, meaning they're not the same person anymore.

Nah, I was meaning in terms of the zeldaverse. Although I think Nintendo was trying harder not to contradict themselves with time travel in SS, but that's just IMO.

To quote Mathewmatosis...

"Inconsistent time travel pops up again during this game. At the start of the game Link enters the Sealed Temple and the player can look through a crack in the door to see a crystal containing Zelda. In other words, even before Link's quest begins, the outcome is determined. In the very same room, though, there's a place where later on in the story Link plants a seed in order to heal a dragon and it grows into a tree. The tree isn't there in the beginning; the outcome is not determined. These two things, vital to the plot and in the same room, operate on different time travel mechanics."

I still don't think they're trying when it comes to time travel, especially in Skywards Sword where they threw it all over the place without regard of consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom