• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Huge Disappointment So Far!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I can't quite recall where I found the quote, but they will fix the trees and continue to tweak the graphics in general.
But, I suppose we'll have to agree with disagree.
I don't rely so much on graphics, though I don't really see why everyone is attacking the game based on that alone. Personally I really enjoy the direction they're talking it.
Either way, I'll save my final judgment till after the game is released.

@Zeldaham: Why is it that in every post I see you make you're in an active argument with someone?
Calm yourself; the internet isn't that important.
Just have a nice little chat.

Well, I will reserve my final judgement until the game is released...just not my initial and interim judgement. I will be convinced they they have fixed the trees once I see them fix. Until then, the stink like sphincter.

I like the art direction for the most part so far too. I think it could look really sharp at the end of the day. I love the bold colors and think that the cell shading could be timeless. They just need to fix the glaring problems.

I feel like i need to bring up my words of wisdom!

"If you give up a game because of the graphics, you're not a true gamer!"

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I feel like i need to bring up my words of wisdom!

"If you give up a game because of the graphics, you're not a true gamer!"

What a load of dung. First of all, who cares? "True gamer"? What is that supposed to mean? Why do I want to be a true gamer, and who are you to define what that is. Should somebody suffer through something they don't like just so that you can dub them a "true gamer".

Second, why is it wrong to quit a game because you don't like how it looks? I agree, gameplay is more important and you might miss out if you quit games because of their graphics. But that said, if something looks like garbage I don't want to spend 20, 30, 40, 50 hours looking at it. If they released skyward sword with OoT graphics, I am not sure how badly I would want to play it. Graphics matter, it's a perfectly legitimate reason not to like something.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
(*coughs before giving a speech*) Eh hem (beware for wall of text)

Okay, so remember the saying "You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?" Well, it's pretty much the same thing for video games- you shouldn't judge a game by it's graphics and reviews. Skyward Sword could be the best Zelda game ever and you wouldn't even want to bother and pick it up? That's just sad, graphics don't really matter and don't affect the game, take Wind Waker for instance. It has cel-shaded graphics and it's considered one of the best Legend of Zelda games. Sure it looks "kiddy" from the graphics, but Link stabbing the Master Sword into Ganon's head? That game should've been rated T! It's just sad that you diss a game because of it's graphics. For all we know, this game could top all of the Legend of Zelda games. This could be the best game in history and just saying it has bad graphics is just sad. Giving up what could be the greatest game in history is sad and a "true gamer" wouldn't just diss a game and not play it because of the graphics. as far as I know, gameplay, plot, and fan fic ideas are pretty much what matters to me the most from games and graphics don't matter. I'll be willing to play the best game in the history even if it has the worst graphics ever, and a "true gamer" should be too.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Okay, so remember the saying "You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?" Well, it's pretty much the same thing for video games- you shouldn't judge a game by it's graphics and reviews.

Baloney. Graphics are part of the game, unlike a book's cover. Part of judging a game is judging it's graphics. It's not the #1 thing, but it is something. Saying you should not factor in the graphics into how much you like a game would be "sophomoric"...but I don't thing that both the "wise" and "fool" meaning of that word apply...

take Wind Waker for instance. It has cel-shaded graphics and it's considered one of the best Legend of Zelda games.

WW's graphics are great for their time, and really suit the game. So your example is no good. You picked a game with great graphics to demonstrate why graphics don't matter.

his could be the best game in history and just saying it has bad graphics is just sad. Giving up what could be the greatest game in history is sad and a "true gamer" wouldn't just diss a game and not play it because of the graphics. as far as I know, gameplay, plot, and fan fic ideas are pretty much what matters to me the most from games and graphics don't matter. I'll be willing to play the best game in the history even if it has the worst graphics ever, and a "true gamer" should be too.

"True gamer"? "True gamer"? Who cares to be a "true gamer". If somebody does not like a game because of it's graphics should they suffer through it just to be a "true gamer"...if people don't like how something looks, they don't like it. Mocking them as not being a "true gamer" is not going to change that...

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay, so remember the saying "You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?" Well, it's pretty much the same thing for video games- you shouldn't judge a game by it's graphics and reviews.

Yes, the term that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover does also apply to the games. You should never just look at a game and say it's good or horrible. You'll have to play it for yourself all the way through and then judge it (not to say you can't say things like "I like it so far" or "So far I don't think it's that great").

However, graphics are a part of the game. You see, games today are like a combo of art in various styles, classical music compositions, cinematics, storyline, and gameplay; in other words, factors of visual art, classical music, movies, books, and regular games. Some matter more than others (for instance, gameplay is the biggest factor you should consider when rating a game) but you can't just brush off some of the other parts of the game and say they don't matter.

Graphics shouldn't exactly be the highest priority parts of games to some people, but they should be considered when rating a game. For instance, if they released a Zelda game with Atari or Odeyssey graphics then no matter how good the other elements are, it would still be an absolute abomination.

Skyward Sword could be the best Zelda game ever and you wouldn't even want to bother and pick it up? That's just sad, graphics don't really matter and don't affect the game, take Wind Waker for instance. It has cel-shaded graphics and it's considered one of the best Legend of Zelda games. Sure it looks "kiddy" from the graphics, but Link stabbing the Master Sword into Ganon's head? That game should've been rated T!

You see, a lot of people would say WW had great graphics. It's just a misunderstanding on the part of most who've never played it that it's the Zelda equivalent of an episode of Dora the Explorer and they don't want to touch it because they think it's Dora the Explorer material. Obviously, if you play it or watch someone play it, you'll realize that it's not much more kiddy than OoT or ALttP as an example and actually contains some stuff that's actually kinda dark and a little bit of T rated material (Link shoving the MS into Ganny's head).

So, really it's got great graphics, even by today's standards, but it's really more of a matter of how well people like it or not.

It's just sad that you diss a game because of it's graphics. For all we know, this game could top all of the Legend of Zelda games. This could be the best game in history and just saying it has bad graphics is just sad. Giving up what could be the greatest game in history is sad and a "true gamer" wouldn't just diss a game and not play it because of the graphics.

Yes, it is sad that people just diss games by graphics alone and even if the graphics aren't the greatest, there can be redeeming qualities that allow you to like it anyways.

Although, your use of the word "true gamer" is really very debatable. Some may argue that a true gamer is a gamer who plays games, is unbiased in his/her opinions of them, and considers all factors when rating them while others may argue that true gamers only play top of the line games like OoT or SMG as examples. The word true gamer can be interpretted in so many ways that using the word pretty much defeats the whole purpose of any arguement you're trying to make.

Anyways, I do agree though that it's extremely unfair to rate a game based on graphics alone.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Well, to answer all of your questions, I think a true gamer is a gamer who just doesn't devote all of his/her time to video games, but ones who thinks of E3 like a holiday or beats almost every game that is given to them or never gives up after having a few game overs.

That would be a "true gamer". But so would the person who plays only Plants vs. Zombies on their iPhone...or the mother who plays Wii Fit...or the dude who spends all day at work playing Mine-Sweap, or the person who beat Star Craft 2 in 18 hours on it's release day...they all play games...they all exist...they are all "true gamers". You don't get to define when it is ok to quit or not play a game for someone else. To tell you the truth, I have more respect for someone who puts down a game with bad graphics or bad gameplay than one who will just fork over their dollars to eat whatever Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft feed us.

G

Gabbe92

The graphics is not important at all? and real gamers do not care about graphics?
I never liked games that have animated graphics and will probably never do it either. So when I see that the graphics are more cartoon than an adult, it is clear that I am disappointed. If there would be another game that has nothing at all to do with zelda. I would not even consider putting money into something that does not look good.

Then some one might miss a good game but then again I think the graphics are a big part so I will not spend 40-50 hours "that maybe the game is playable". The welding is only up to me to decide if I want to play a game or not.

The graphics are obviously not more important then the gameplay. but i feel there is a large part to a game should be really fun. If Ocarina of Time had the same graphics as WW had, it would probably never become one of the best games of all time, right?
the graphics does not matter is basically bull****.

First impressions are the pictures of the game when you buy a game. Or am I wrong?

Then I would just say, who cares if you do not call me a "real" gamer. The welding is only up to myself to decide if I am a Zelda fan or not? And my English is not perfect but I do my best! it is not my mother tongue! Then if people want CAVIL down on me I do not care! Life is too good for it! :)

Jupiter!! sorry if it came out that wrong for you...

So im gonna change it it a little.

" if you call a game crap Becouse of the way it looks, then you're an idiot! "

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Jupiter!! sorry if it came out that wrong for you...

So im gonna change it it a little.

" if you call a game crap Becouse of the way it looks, then you're an idiot! "

"if a game looks like crap and you say that it isn't at least a little crappy, you're an idiot"

"if you don't like the way a game looks, but waste 40-50 hours finding out if it is any good anyway, you might be an idiot"

Don't get me wrong, I think LoZ has "crappy graphics" and still think it is the best game of all time, but that does not mean that if a new game came out to day that looked like it I would still give it a try...graphics matter, deal with it.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
skyward sword has just focus on gameplay, the story but missed the graphics! I mean come on it looks like a crap game signed! If I want a crap cartoon game I will go and buy one! But I expect more of a Zelda game that they have worked with over the last 4-5 years.

Actually it was harder to program The Wind Waker's graphics so technically using the realistic style of Twilight Princess would have been lazy.
FYI, TP is still TP even if it was cel-shaded.

This thread needs to relax. We're talking about a video game here people. It's not worth all this arguing and flaming. ;)

I actually didn't feel Skyward Sword was disappointing at all. But that's a personal thing. Obviously as games in a series make changes or have differences, one person will like it while another will not. The changes with the Wii Motion Plus controls for example are going to be met with mixed reactions. Ultimately however, I think they will end up as a good thing in mostly everyone's eyes. We will have to see however.

The graphics definitely look rough. I am not really worried about them, though, as they've confirmed the game's graphics are temporary. They're still working on and polishing the graphics (the next step in development if I recall the wording correctly), so we didn't see the final game. They also confirmed that the area we saw is not in the game, for the record (not sure how relevant that is but meh).

Notions of there being such a thing as a "true Zelda fan" or a "true fan" of anything seem silly to me. Zelda, or any video game, is not serious enough of a thing for there to be an important distinction between devotees. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Entertainment has a obligation to the consumer, not the other way around. :bleh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom