• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD Skyward Sword HD: Motion vs Button Controls

Skyward Sword HD

How Will You Play?

• Total voters

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I imagine I'll probably play with the Joy-cons at first and then transition to button controls later in the game and repeat playthroughs. I worry that the game is going to feel way too simplistic and easy with button controls though. Hardly going to be a challenge fighting some of the more difficult enemies if it's as simple as the trailer makes it out to be.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Assuming I design to buy this horrible $60 cash grab port of an otherwise unmodified ten year-old game, I will use button controls. Skyward Sword's motion controls have never been good. When I originally played the game back in 2012 or so, I could barely get the controls to work on a brand new Wii Motion +. I'm not subjecting myself to that sort of nonsense again.
Woah didnt realize you had insider info
Tell me what do the amiibos do? Is the gossip stone still functioning in the same way? Are cutscenes skippable the first time around? Is anything in skyloft different?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Woah didnt realize you had insider info
Tell me what do the amiibos do? Is the gossip stone still functioning in the same way? Are cutscenes skippable the first time around? Is anything in skyloft different?

Tell you what: if anything in the game is significantly different outside of the resolution and the physical controls, I'll buy you a copy of BotW2. :hug:

MW7

I think I'll try button controls first. I like the portability of the Switch and love to play games while walking around outside. I like that both options are available.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm not buying it, since I still have the Wii version. I don't see any reason for me to buy a port when I own the original.
But if I would, I'd go for the motion controls to begin with. I never had any issues with them whatsoever in the past, and since they've said that they improved them for this one, that'd be even better. Would probably try with buttons at some point

Mikey the Moblin

I'm not buying it, since I still have the Wii version. I don't see any reason for me to buy a port when I own the original.
But if I would, I'd go for the motion controls to begin with. I never had any issues with them whatsoever in the past, and since they've said that they improved them for this one, that'd be even better. Would probably try with buttons at some point
Uhhhh
1080p? Hello?

I have no desire to use the motion controls. It was okay one time, but the motion controls are a big reason why I did not feel the urge to go back to Skyward Sword. I'll definitely be using button controls. It might seem like a small thing, but I suspect it'll make the game quite a bit more enjoyable, just like speeding up the characters in Super Mario 3D World made the overall experience feel smoother.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'll give both a chance. Perhaps the motion controls will be more fluid than it was on the Wii. I'll definitely be testing out the button controls as well though.

This is maybe a hot take: but I feel like since SS was designed with motion controls so heavily in mind, that using solely the button controls is playing the game with its soul stripped away.

Mikey the Moblin

But it's still the exactly same game. It'd be one thing if it was a remake (like OoT 3D for example), but just an HD upgrade? Not worth it for me since I have the original already. I never got the WW or TP HD versions either, for the exact same reason
how is oot 3D functionally different than these other HD versions? oot 3D is still the same game, right down to the bugs
whether it's a port, a remake, or a remaster, the game is still gonna be the same, what's your qualifier here?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
But it's still the exactly same game. It'd be one thing if it was a remake (like OoT 3D for example), but just an HD upgrade? Not worth it for me since I have the original already. I never got the WW or TP HD versions either, for the exact same reason
sounds like we share the same philosophy, if I wanted to play WW or TP, I have no issue just playing the original games I already own [I even played WW HD just to check it out, but sold it afterwards b/c I'm content just replaying the original]

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
how is oot 3D functionally different than these other HD versions? oot 3D is still the same game, right down to the bugs
whether it's a port, a remake, or a remaster, the game is still gonna be the same, what's your qualifier here?
OoT 3D is a complete overhaul in terms of graphics, built from the ground up (also has the amazing gyroscope aiming), while all the HD remasters reuse the exact same graphics, but has had the visuals upscaled to HD. Yes, it does look better, but it's not a full remake. Basically, there is much less development time put into the HD remasters than there was in the 3DS remakes.
Only upgrading to HD, without updating the graphics, just isn't enough for me to buy another copy of a game I already own

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Since I play my Switch in handheld mode 90% of the time probably going to use buttons mostly. Glad the bird controls are buttons now in that case, that was the only part that ever bugged me.

Mikey the Moblin

OoT 3D is a complete overhaul in terms of graphics, built from the ground up (also has the amazing gyroscope aiming), while all the HD remasters reuse the exact same graphics, but has had the visuals upscaled to HD. Yes, it does look better, but it's not a full remake. Basically, there is much less development time put into the HD remasters than there was in the 3DS remakes.
Only upgrading to HD, without updating the graphics, just isn't enough for me to buy another copy of a game I already own
I can't even play skyward sword on my new tv, it's so big that the game can't display properly and has a bunch of weird dots

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I can't even play skyward sword on my new tv, it's so big that the game can't display properly and has a bunch of weird dots
This is definitely a problem most people with larger TVs have. I think this is why there’ll almost always be a need/demand for higher resolution versions of games to come out. Anything from N64-Wii looks terrible and pixelated on my TV, so if an HD Switch version of a game I know I’m gonna play or want the option to play comes out, I’m probably going to purchase it so that the resolution matches or at least will upscale better for my current set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom