• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD Skyward Sword HD Discussion

Skyward Sword HD

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
My other major complaint is the crawling text in cutscenes. I love the speed you can scroll through non-cutscene text boxes and wish I could do the same in cutscenes. T h e. T e x t. A p p e a r s. S o. S l o w l y. I, and assumedly most people, can read way faster. It annoyed me in the original, but it somehow feels even slower in HD.
One of the QoL additions in the HD version was the ability to speed up the text!
https://twinfinite.net/2021/07/legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-how-to-skip-cutscenes-dialogue/

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
One of the QoL additions in the HD version was the ability to speed up the text!
https://twinfinite.net/2021/07/legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-how-to-skip-cutscenes-dialogue/
Thanks for the link, but this is how to completely skip a cutscene altogether, which I don’t want to do. As I mentioned in my post I appreciate that I can force the textboxes to completely fill without waiting for the text to appear, but the same QoL improvement was not extended to cutscenes. Don’t want to skip the cutscene, but make the text appear faster.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Thanks for the link, but this is how to completely skip a cutscene altogether, which I don’t want to do. As I mentioned in my post I appreciate that I can force the textboxes to completely fill without waiting for the text to appear, but the same QoL improvement was not extended to cutscenes. Don’t want to skip the cutscene, but make the text appear faster.
From the article:
If you’re looking to just skip the dialogue in a conversation Link is having, simply press B during it. This will cause the text on-screen to speed up and skip onto the next line.

Repeatedly tap B during dialogue to skip through it.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
From the article:
That doesn’t work in prerendered cutscenes. Only the “cutscenes” that happen in “real” time. Such as talking with NPCs after initiating a conversation.

EDIT: Your quote actually says the exact same thing I’m explaining:

From the article:
If you’re looking to just skip the dialogue in a conversation Link is having, simply press B during it. This will cause the text on-screen to speed up and skip onto the next line.

Repeatedly tap B during dialogue to skip through it.

Last edited:
Put another 4 hours into it today and I can say I've found my own personal best(or rather the most acceptable) control scheme. I'm using a 3rd party Gamecube controller that effectively acts as a Pro controller. The L trigger acts as the camera shift button instead of the higher up L on the joycons and pro. Far more comfortable as naturally your finger is on that button. The button is also a standard press button and not a click trigger like the original Gamecube. Still not ideal. The right stick sword still isn't the best but i'm getting use to it.

I completely ditched the Motion controls though because i've come to the conclusion theyre abysmal especially anyone who has Joycon drift issues. The constant Recalibrating of the aiming is also ridiculous.

The actual game is alright. Much much better than the wii version due to how it runs and looks.

So yeah, all in all This is the control scheme i'll stick with. The motion controls aren't doing it for me. Thank god Nintendo didn't force this kind of stuff on Breath of the Wild outside of a couple of mandatory Gyro shrines(which were bad too)

I love Nintendo and zelda but god damn. Stop forcing gimmicks into your great games. They aren't needed and add absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Got to the end of the first dungeon and so far it’s still just OK for me. I think I just need to get used to the new layout. ZR for the item wheel feels pretty unnatural, as does holding the joycons to be honest. They’re not as comfortable IMO as the Wiimote and Nunchuck were to play with for an extended period.
it feels the same as pressing B on a wiimote to me
but if it's really a problem for you just use the switch custom mapping
So far, this is one of my major complaints for this version. I’ve been finding that if you recalibrate (press y) before you thrust forward, it seems to help. I’ve also been having trouble crossing the rope wires on the Switch version. Not sure what’s up with that as I had no trouble on the Wii with that at all.
I think we'll need to be getting in the habit of spamming Y before using any motion controls. Although it shouldn't be too hard for them to update the controls to automatically recalibrate every time you take out your sword/use an item. The downgraded motion controls are disappointing to me aorn because it's so close to living the VR swordfighting fantasy but isn't there
My other major complaint is the crawling text in cutscenes. I love the speed you can scroll through non-cutscene text boxes and wish I could do the same in cutscenes. T h e. T e x t. A p p e a r s. S o. S l o w l y. I, and assumedly most people, can read way faster. It annoyed me in the original, but it somehow feels even slower in HD.
I've been getting the text skips inconsistently so I'm guessing there's a frame perfect trick that gives you instant text similar to OOT3D

I think we'll need to be getting in the habit of spamming Y before using any motion controls. Although it shouldn't be too hard for them to update the controls to automatically recalibrate every time you take out your sword/use an item. The downgraded motion controls are disappointing to me aorn because it's so close to living the VR swordfighting fantasy but isn't there

I've been getting the text skips inconsistently so I'm guessing there's a frame perfect trick that gives you instant text similar to OOT3D

Yeah I gave up. I said in my original post I'm leaning towards Motion due to the camera control and better sword play but the better sword gameplay isn't really relevant when this game doesn't really require it.

I sort of understand why this game sold so poorly for a mainline Zelda game. Just wasn't accessible at all and even now its not going to be.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
I’ve been playing with both control types as I switch between the living room tv when I’m cooking and handheld mode at night. I will say I prefer the motion controls for sword fighting but prefer the joystick for things like walking on the rope, flying and using the beetle.

The joystick for combat I am not a fan of. I can’t swing as fast as I’d like (it isn’t quite as responsive) so it made fighting the first boss kind of annoying. It also wears out my thumb. The game itself is still one of my favorites though, I have been missing the classic Zelda style and I’ve played pretty much every other one a dozen times.

The only problem is the overworld. I think this game has the best dungeons out of any Zelda but damn is it’s overworld lacking as its basically just straight lines. As much as BOTW lacks interesting side quests and classic temples and bosses it does have damn near a perfect Zelda overworld. If they give us dungeons with cool bosses and add a bunch more NPCs to make the world not seem so empty BOTW2 could be a perfect Zelda game.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
It’s not a huge problem, it just feels funny because on the Wiimote it was behind the controller (where my pointer finger naturally lies when I hold things). The joycon feels awkward to hold to me with my finger resting on the bumpers and triggers.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
It’s not a huge problem, it just feels funny because on the Wiimote it was behind the controller (where my pointer finger naturally lies when I hold things). The joycon feels awkward to hold to me with my finger resting on the bumpers and triggers.
Is it not where your pointer finger lies naturally on the joycons? They're pretty small so I kind of have to have my finger wrapped around the back

zelda kid

peAce infiniTe
4 skyward sword

81FCOPif9qL._SL1500_.jpg

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Is it not where your pointer finger lies naturally on the joycons? They're pretty small so I kind of have to have my finger wrapped around the back
Yep, wrapped around the back is where mine naturally lies. But the wheel button is on top of the joycon. Hence my complaint about it not feeling natural to use. I’m saying it felt more comfortable using the Wiimote because of where the button mapped for that specific action on that controller is compared to the layout of the joycon buttons.

you could use motion controls but due to the game requiring directional inputs no you can't use a button to swing your sword

They could have mapped a button for general random sword slashes. For general purposes like killing enemies who don't block or pots and objects.

i wish i could use sword w/ X or Y, and control the camera w/out holding down L bumber, not possible??

Nope. But The Gamecube pro controller is better simply because at least my finger is naturally on the L trigger. It does suck but I
im getting use to it. Put it this way. You'll only ever have to do this for this one game. When they put out TP and Wind Waker. WE can all enjoy normal controls again. Thank god.

And I can't go back to the Switch motion controls anymore. Especially with my drift issues.

I’ve been playing with both control types as I switch between the living room tv when I’m cooking and handheld mode at night. I will say I prefer the motion controls for sword fighting but prefer the joystick for things like walking on the rope, flying and using the beetle.

The joystick for combat I am not a fan of. I can’t swing as fast as I’d like (it isn’t quite as responsive) so it made fighting the first boss kind of annoying. It also wears out my thumb. The game itself is still one of my favorites though, I have been missing the classic Zelda style and I’ve played pretty much every other one a dozen times.

The only problem is the overworld. I think this game has the best dungeons out of any Zelda but damn is it’s overworld lacking as its basically just straight lines. As much as BOTW lacks interesting side quests and classic temples and bosses it does have damn near a perfect Zelda overworld. If they give us dungeons with cool bosses and add a bunch more NPCs to make the world not seem so empty BOTW2 could be a perfect Zelda game.

The Overworld in SS is abysmal but I think the dungeons and areas are very good. I wish they would have done more work on the overworld but with how Bad flying is in general i'm glad theres not too much of it. I don't like flying in this game period. Its supposed to be a sailing equivilant. When you're sailing in Wind waker you have that relaxing music can change winds and sail automatically and find a ton of stuff out on the sea. This game offers nothing really and is a chore to navigate. But It does have a lot of great land areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom