• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD Skyward Sword HD Discussion

Skyward Sword HD

Fig

The Altruist
I figured most people who bought the base game for that price already had a Wii Motion Plus, I was considering doing just that back then because I already had the peripheral when I got Wii Sports Resort. I bought the Limited Edition anyway, though.

That's what I did back in 2011. I couldn't afford a Wii Motion Plus because we were poor and it wasn't utilized as much as Nintendo wanted to market it as so in my case when the special edition came with a Wiimote that had built in Motion Plus, it was definitively worth it. Now that the same game is coming out 10 years later, things have changed minus Nintendo's corporate greed (because that's the primary goal of corporations by the way, they are never your friends no matter how inclusive their products are). $60 for a 2011 game with no visual upgrade whatsoever except for maybe resolution and a button layout all while telling me that Metroid Dread and Mario Party Superstars are coming out in a somewhat similar timeframe for the same price? Yea, hardest skip in my life.

As it stands, this game is looking more and more like Nintendo is just gonna try and pass off "hey look we added button controls :)" as the only significant change. That's a real shame considering the past HD upgrades got more than that. I would love for E3 to prove me wrong, but idk man.

That said, I'm still gonna buy it. Dunno if I'll get it immediately upon release since two other games come out the week before, but I still want it. SS is one of my favorite Zelda games and I'd love to play it on a better platform.

This is probably my biggest issue with Nintendo fandom. Not your fault Az, if you genuinely want to buy the game, more power to you and I hope you enjoy 2nd favorite Zelda of all time in my place. The thing is most of Nintendo's community are super duper casual and just want to see games from their childhood or some shiz and call it a day. At the same it, it's why Nintendo can capitalize on their markets by effectively making terrible products and people will still defend it, just look at SM3DAS. 3 games for $60 with little to no changes or bonuses attached to the package. Talk about a bad product to celebrate Mario's 35th anniversary. Now it's the same with Zelda. They spent money and time in R&D in designing that Zelda G&W when those resources probably could have been utilized on BotW2's development cycle or at least on something decent like the Super Mario fashion line they also did last year. Metroid getting a new game that continues the story after Fusion while also bringing back a dead game since 2008 that was planned to be on the DS at the time got the fattest dub from the 3 franchises to celebrate their 35th anniversary. That's how you celebrate a beloved franchise. We're still waiting for BOTW2 until after the anniversary and Kid Icarus ain't getting a new game or port of Uprising.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
I consider this a personal attack because you’re 100% right. I preordered Skyward Sword and will buy pretty much any Zelda or main Mario game Nintendo releases (I bought both Mario 3D all-stars and the Mario 3D World/Bowsers Fury) simply because I remember being 5 years old playing ALTTP and Super Mario World and have played every game in those two series since. You can say it’s because Nintendo is greedy, etc but your other point is more correct. I’m not a gamer, I play maybe a weeks worth of video games a year and am super busy so I stick to what I know and what I love. I think Nintendo just knows its market and the majority of people who tend to go online and discuss video games (an complain about Nintendo’s shotty online, or how they don’t care about their fans, etc) are under the impression they make up some majority of Nintendo’s actual customers when that isn’t the case.

Fig

The Altruist
I consider this a personal attack because you’re 100% right. I preordered Skyward Sword and will buy pretty much any Zelda or main Mario game Nintendo releases (I bought both Mario 3D all-stars and the Mario 3D World/Bowsers Fury) simply because I remember being 5 years old playing ALTTP and Super Mario World and have played every game in those two series since. You can say it’s because Nintendo is greedy, etc but your other point is more correct. I’m not a gamer, I play maybe a weeks worth of video games a year and am super busy so I stick to what I know and what I love. I think Nintendo just knows its market and the majority of people who tend to go online and discuss video games (an complain about Nintendo’s shotty online, or how they don’t care about their fans, etc) are under the impression they make up some majority of Nintendo’s actual customers when that isn’t the case.

Like I said, if people buy it because they want, I want them to enjoy the games regardless of what I have to say. At least with SM3DW+BF, there's actual new content to enjoy and I wish I had the chance to buy it because 3DW is actually one of my favorite Mario titles. Only reason why I couldn't is because game developers really have this knack of knowing which games I like and then releasing them at the same time and I'm forced to make a choice because even though I have money to buy any game I want, $60 for any one thing is a lot to ask for. I know companies are to make profits, but if you are going to sell me a game that came out a decade ago with practically no changes, at least offer special bonuses like an art gallery with concept art, special features like a photo mode, more QoLs, just anything.

How is that they went all in to treat WWHD the way they did but adding content such as digital artbook, changes in game play, making the game even look better than it already did but then don't for another title? Nintendo is weird. The worst part for me is that I bought the special edition of SS in 2011 for $50. This isn't a $10 difference as some people elsewhere on the internet are saying. No, this is a $60 difference because you are buying the same game again from the start. You are going to tell me that $60 is the value of both SSHD and BotW2 when individually bought? Well then I'll just spend the $60 for BotW2. At least Shining Diamond (eat it, you and I know it should have been Shining Diamond for the JoJo memes) is understandably worth the $60 because it's going from a 2D sprite game on the DS to a 3D model game that in theory will have the all the Platinum content alongside it.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
This is interesting to hear. It's not as concrete of an answer as I would have liked concerning the issue of excessive tutorialization in the original game, but it at least points to Nintendo possibly understanding that holding the player's hand too much was a problem that needed fixing.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member

Skippable cutscenes, optional Fi, streamlined item info, and fast-forward dialogue are all very welcome and overdue additions to SS. Good to see Nintendo actually make clear what they've improved. Hopefully some additional content might be revealed, but at this point I highly doubt it.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
While there’s been no additional content, I’m pretty satisfied with the rerelease so far. $60 is still a bit steep but this soothes my worries a bit. Seems like a somewhat solid port.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
All of the enhancements are fine, I still think they should have fast travel between bird statues while on the surface, though. And I don't mean traveling from a bird statue in Faron to one in Eldin, I mean while in a particular region you can choose to go to any other activated statue that you have in that region only. This way it doesn't eliminate the need to return to the sky until the story forces you to. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to add to this besides new content, and I'm really hoping that happens because if it was cool enough, the price wouldn't bother me as much.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
I’m excited, I think the last time I played was 2014. I normally play through them all every two years (play through WW and OoT every year) and I’ll be glad to add this to the bi-annual replay. If memory serves the imprisoned is too frustrating to be an annual thing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom