• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SKYWARD SWORD, EASIEST ZELDA GAME TO DATE?

Nicole

luke is my wife
Hey guys, let's all calm it down. Civil debating is fine but insulting and baiting is not. I'm sure we can all have a civil debate here.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
The easiest Zelda game ever is obviously Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass because they're both really short and require hardly any skill. Not Skyward Sword.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Do I need to give a reason as to why I think they're dumbed down? Why can you not compare SS to previous games featuring some of the same puzzles? Does the fact that, for the most part, SS being a hallway in that it is extremely linear not make things even a teensy bit 'dumbed down'?

I fail to see how linearity dumbs a game down. Portal and Portal 2 are both linear and have some of the most mind-boggling puzzles in gaming.

The easiest Zelda game ever is obviously Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass because they're both really short and require hardly any skill. Not Skyward Sword.

I found Spirit Tracks to have much more of a challenge than PH. ST is actually pretty close to the ideal difficulty level for Zelda imo.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I fail to see how linearity dumbs a game down. Portal and Portal 2 are both linear and have some of the most mind-boggling puzzles in gaming.
Linearity by itself doesn't dumb a game down. But in the case of Skyward Sword, it definitely did, for me. If SS were more open than what it was, things not being readily apparent like they were, obstacles not placed in a manner where a five year old would immediately noticed "oh, so that's what I have to do next", the game might've been a bit more challenging, for me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Linearity by itself doesn't dumb a game down. But in the case of Skyward Sword, it definitely did, for me. If SS were more open than what it was, things not being readily apparent like they were, obstacles not placed in a manner where a five year old would immediately noticed "oh, so that's what I have to do next", the game might've been a bit more challenging, for me.

Only SS's puzzles weren't ones that didn't require thought like you make them out to be.

However, this is why difficulty levels should exist.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Only SS's puzzles weren't ones that didn't require thought like you make them out to be.

However, this is why difficulty levels should exist.
I agree that SS' puzzles require thought, any puzzle and pretty much any action ever (except MAYBE breathing, idk about that) does, but the puzzles man...they just seemed to be made in such a way that anyone could do them. That is NOT repeat NOT a bad thing; it's good that Nintendo is trying to appeal to more people (more money = doing a company right). It's just that they were a bit on the easy side, which didn't prove to be as exciting as puzzles previous to it.

Definitely agree about difficulty levels. Different puzzles = more people satisfied = better game in the long run.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I agree that SS' puzzles require thought, any puzzle and pretty much any action ever (except MAYBE breathing, idk about that) does, but the puzzles man...they just seemed to be made in such a way that anyone could do them. That is NOT repeat NOT a bad thing; it's good that Nintendo is trying to appeal to more people (more money = doing a company right). It's just that they were a bit on the easy side, which didn't prove to be as exciting as puzzles previous to it.

I can respect that. I just don't agree. They were relatively easy to me, sure, but I had been playing Zelda for 12+ years upon purchasing SS. I'm pretty good at the series, and since the game actually provided a bit of a challenge, it clearly indicated to me (to ME) that Nintendo stepped the difficulty back up to its rightful place.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
In my opinion, Skyward Sword is not the easiest Zelda game thus far. It has a great variety of challenges, most of which are straightforward, not effortless, and I pretty much enjoyed them all. The only times that I found them overly-annoying and laborious were during the repetitious sequences of the The Imprisoned and the Silent Realms. Otherwise, they were simply concise and to-the-point. That's how I preferred them, because they were moderately difficult while staying away from being way too easy to beat.

For one thing, it presented a myriad of puzzles throughout the entire game, which were all solved using Wii Motion+ technology (read this post to see my thoughts on that). It was and is deeply satisfying to at last use pretty much all the weapons available in my arsenal in order to get through Dungeons or just the provinces. Even the enemies themselves became puzzles, requiring us to look for a way to outwit their defensive stances. Therefore, that to me is tangible proof that Skyward Sword is not the "easiest" since it causes us to think about our movements before we react. Additionally the gameplay is smooth and non-gimmicky, not oversimple to the point that it is boring to death. That feeling simply comes from some of the objectives that we're forced to deal with; such as, again, the Silent Realms, The Imprisoned, and even the Tadtone hunt.

In terms of combat, I'd say Twilight Princess is the easiest (especially since it's assisted by the Hidden Skills), and for puzzles I'd take that title to Wind Waker, because half the game is made up of sailing. [Not bashing either of them; just sharing why I think they fit it more than Skyward Sword].

Zarom

The King
I've played through SS three times, and I found it to be the hardest 3D Zelda game, aside from MM. So yeah, I think the difficulty was a good step up from WW and TP, and not only in combat, but also in regards to the puzzles. I actually think SS had some of the best and most challenging puzzles in the whole series.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Are you doing Hero Mode for you six-heart challenge? If so, I'm very impressed that you can make it through without dying. Especially the Hylian Shield part. I could never do that; I had trouble enough with ALL Heart Containers on Hero Mode. Died twice before getting it with half a heart remaining.

But I definitely agree that it's the easiest to 100%. Perhaps not the easiest overall, but it's one of the few times I've 100%ed without a walkthrough. Dowsing makes everything much simpler. (Doesn't mean that I'm not still missing one Heart Piece on my Hero Mode file... I've looked everywhere. D:)

SS was pretty easy overall but definitely not the easiest. I have only played PH, ST, SS, and TP (and some of OoT/aLttP) but I think the "easiest" title goes to ST, for sure. The puzzles were fairly easy and the temples were pretty much cake for me. The only thing that gave me trouble was the Tower of Spirits the last times.
SS, it was fairly easy to get through, especially with the six heart start, but there were some things that were really difficult: I felt the bosses had a good level of difficulty, and the Song of the Hero and Silent Realms weren't low on difficulty either. Dowsing did make stuff easier, but not overly so. Stuff wasn't hard to find, but it was often hard to get to. Timing was also key and difficult sometimes to get right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom