• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Dungeons and Other Observations

Majora's Cat

How about that
In the E3 2011 Skyward Sword Trailer, several Dungeons in the game were showcased. Some in particular were easily identifiable, while some weren’t so effortless to place. But let’s start with the basics - what do we already know about Skyward Sword? Well, from the knowledge I’ve accumulated over the past few days, this should just about cover it:

According to an article on LegendZelda.net (link is here: http://legendzelda.net/skyward-sword/zelda-and-link-friends-iskyward-sword/), Zelda and Link are friends at the start of the game. A screenshot refers to Zelda, suggesting that the two already know each other and are rather close. To further prove that they are already acquainted, the new E3 trailer shows Link and Zelda together before she is sucked into a vicious tornado. This tornado is likely a form of dark magic that Ghirahim uses to capture the princess, much like Ganon’s crystal that he used to grab hold of Zelda in Ocarina of Time.

attachment.php

Another mystifying question that’s been cleared up (sort of) is what the strange whale is from the trailer (shown above). After the clip showing the tornado sweeping Princess Zelda away, we see a short segment that features a whale about to swallow her. This is just a dream, and probably foretells of the events that are coming (Ghirahim’s kidnapping of the princess). The whale is likely a representation of Ghirahim or the tornado (something to pay attention to in the future?).

Ghirahim and Link have been confirmed to be fighting in what appears to be the ruins of a castle. Although we weren’t given a very clear view of the ruins in the trailer, it seems that the battle will take place in Hyrule (as the clouds are above, and Skyloft is supposed to be a civilization above the clouds). The full thread can be seen here: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?19425-Where-Are-They-Fighting/page4.

attachment.php

Then there’s the mystery of the statue shown above (I took a close-up screenshot to show the more minute details of the statue). What’s very puzzling about the statue is that it is obviously loved in Skyloft, but the beliefs of the Skyloftians have not been confirmed. While Hyrule’s goddesses are Din, Nayru and Farore, there’s absolutely no indication that the residents of Skyloft have the same goddess/goddesses. As Oracle of Ages and Seasons have shown, it is definitely possible for there to be different deities/goddesses in a Zelda game.

There hasn’t seemed to have been a thread detailing the individual Dungeons from SS yet, so here are my evaluations of the Dungeons shown in the E3 2011 Trailer for Skyward Sword:

attachment.php

The Dungeon that first caught my eye was one of astonishing beauty and splendor. The illuminated pathway (with Link riding in some futuristic minecart) bears resemblance to those of Wind Waker’s Tower of the Gods and the Twilight Palace from Twilight Princess. I also noted the strange statues on the sides. The Dungeon looks like it’s in Skyloft, and the statues may be of early Skyloftians. This concept would be similar to that of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Said game features past rulers of different planets in the form of statues to commemorate them. Perhaps the Dungeon pictures will do the same? While the Dungeon is very stylishly decorated and magnificent-looking, it just doesn’t seem like the final Dungeon. Like the TotG and the Twilight Palace before it, this Dungeon won’t be the final Dungeon. Never has a futuristic-looking, magic-infested Dungeon such as this been the last in the game. However, I’m looking forward to playing the game and coming across this particular Dungeon because of its interesting design.

attachment.php

This next Dungeon is of an element commonly highlighted in Zelda games: desert/sand. The unique characteristic that gave the identity of this Dungeon away is its shade of dark beige. The entire area looks somewhat musty and ancient, which is usually what the series’ developers aim for. Much like Arbiter’s Grounds, Stone Tower Temple and the Sand Temple before it, this Dungeon will most likely be home to undead entities and distinctive creatures that only dwell in the sands. This isn’t a definite, though, as the little dunes in the right hand corner of the picture aren’t exactly identifiable. They could be ground switches or small sand dunes - nothing’s for sure. However, if this is not a sand/desert Dungeon, it’s likely an earth/wind Dungeon like the Wind Temple from the Wind Waker. Aside from the decor, the enemy is also a dead giveaway of either an earth/wind or desert/sand-type Dungeon. It’s known as a gleeok and has three fearsome heads. Either way, this particular Dungeon will be sure to introduce some new and unordinary enemies to the series.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It’s fairly obvious what sort of Dungeon this is. It seems that this fire Dungeon has been Skyward Sword’s primary show-off Dungeon, making a big splash in both E3 trailers and a bevy of strange and familiar enemies alike. Above are three pictures shown in SS’ E3 2011 Trailer, one showing a lizalfos sparring with Link with pillars of lava spurting in the background, one with the familiar fire toadpoli (from the E3 2010 trailer) and another bringing forward the deadly fire rocktite (a very similar enemy to the rocktite in Spirit Tracks). It looks as if Nintendo is going for a Dungeon very analogous to the Goron Mines from Twilight Princess. I make this comparison because there are lava geysers and metal grating that are staples of the Goron Mines. Familiar or not, the fire Dungeon of Skyward Sword is sure to be a smash - why else would Nintendo use it as a demonstration so often?

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first picture looks very much like a forest-themed Dungeon, as confirmed by the vines growing on the sides. The bokoblin further proves that this is a forest Dungeon, though it looks more modernized because of the stone walls and architecture. Though I’d like to think it’s a Twilight Princess-style Forest Temple, the structure makes it feel more like the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time. Near the right side of the picture is what appears to be a blue orb, likely activated by a sword (similar to orbs from the Twilight Palace) or a crystal switch, like those from the Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and just about every main Zelda game to date. The second picture is of the Beetle item and doesn’t really indicate that the picture is of a forest Dungeon, but the deku babas tend to reside in those Dungeons. However, the door designs for each picture are different, therefore they’re two different Dungeons. The attribute of the second picture’s Dungeon is still unknown, and will hopefully be revealed later on or after the release.

attachment.php

With the release of the SS E3 2011 Trailer, there were probably questions raised about the strange clip of life and color flowing back into a Dungeon (that seemed to be sucked dry of plant life all hue). This could either be like Okami or De Blob, where the vividness of life and color are restored to the land as the player progresses. But because The Legend of Zelda is more likely to have time mechanics, the picture probably illustrates the turning back of time and rebuilding the world that was previously teeming with life (much like the relation between the Sacred Grove of the present and Temple of Time of the past in Twilight Princess). I have a suspicion that the Dungeon pictured above could be the final Dungeon because it may have to do with returning the now-ruined and dull-looking Dungeon back into the beautiful and stunning Dungeon from long ago. It’s just a thought, but knowing the series, it’s an extraordinarily strong possibility.

Are there any observations you guys have made about the Dungeons or anything about Skyward Sword in general? (I suggest using the E3 2011 Official Trailer)

Note: All pictures are my own screenshots.

Last edited:
You seem to have covered pretty much everything, but I'll look out for things and check back in after my observations and analyses are complete. ;)

Ariel

Think for yourself.
One point: The forest dungeon you pointed out has been confirmed to be the Sky Temple, which, funnily enough, is on the ground, not in the heavens. Other than that, great observations.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Another mystifying question that’s been cleared up (sort of) is what the strange whale is from the trailer (shown above). After the clip showing the tornado sweeping Princess Zelda away, we see a short segment that features a whale about to swallow her. This is just a dream, and probably foretells of the events that are coming (Ghirahim’s kidnapping of the princess). The whale is likely a representation of Ghirahim or the tornado (something to pay attention to in the future?).
I still need to see the quote before I'll believe that this was a dream. Ghirahim was upset that a servant of the goddess snatched Zelda away, so if it was a dream, I don't think the whale would represent Ghirahim or the tornado.

attachment.php

This next Dungeon is of an element commonly highlighted in Zelda games: desert/sand. The unique characteristic that gave the identity of this Dungeon away is its shade of dark beige. The entire area looks somewhat musty and ancient, which is usually what the series’ developers aim for. Much like Arbiter’s Grounds, Stone Tower Temple and the Sand Temple before it, this Dungeon will most likely be home to undead entities and distinctive creatures that only dwell in the sands. This isn’t a definite, though, as the little dunes in the right hand corner of the picture aren’t exactly identifiable. They could be ground switches or small sand dunes - nothing’s for sure. However, if this is not a sand/desert Dungeon, it’s likely an earth/wind Dungeon like the Wind Temple from the Wind Waker. Aside from the decor, the enemy is also a dead giveaway of either an earth/wind or desert/sand-type Dungeon. It’s known as a gleeok and has three fearsome heads. Either way, this particular Dungeon will be sure to introduce some new and unordinary enemies to the series.
Look at the wall to the left of the gleeok. It has the same pattern as the wall in this screenshot from the GDC trailer:

mechsymbol2.png

It also is similar to the mechat room:

mechsymbol2.png

(screenshots from my own dungeon analysis)
The types of enemies, the cart in the mechat room, and what look like vents along the walls made me think it was a mechanical dungeon. It may have some elements of what you suggested too though.

The first picture looks very much like a forest-themed Dungeon, as confirmed by the vines growing on the sides. The bokoblin further proves that this is a forest Dungeon, though it looks more modernized because of the stone walls and architecture. Though I’d like to think it’s a Twilight Princess-style Forest Temple, the structure makes it feel more like the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time. Near the right side of the picture is what appears to be a blue orb, likely activated by a sword (similar to orbs from the Twilight Palace) or a crystal switch, like those from the Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and just about every main Zelda game to date.
As Ariel said, this is the Sky Temple. But you're right, it does seem forest-themed, especially toward the end as you get near the boss door. That blue orb is a mushroom, which yields spores that you can keep in a bottle when you slash it with your sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom