• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Difficulty

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
My apologies if anyone has already created a thread on this.

Well I just read the article on the main page of Zelda Dungeon, and it talked about how Eiji Aonuma mentioned that the gameplay in SS would be more challenging when fighting enemies and solving puzzles.

Personally, I think this is great! Feel free to post your opinions on the article and whatnot. However, I'm still wondering how challenging it will actually be. For all I know, it could seem to prove difficult in Aonuma's eyes, but could be very easy once the Zelda fans start playing it, so I'm still a little concerned.

How difficult do you guys think the game will be?

I'm hoping it's even more challenging than Master Quest on OoT, where you have a lot of moments where you are completely stumped (but it shouldn't be totally frustrating -__- because then the game would no longer be enjoyable).

The enemies in the game do seem to be a lot smarter, since in the trailer they actually blocked your attacks with their blades and all that. Still, I think this is something to consider.

Aonuma's statement also makes me wonder what kinds of puzzles there will be (we already know that there won't be any giant block pushing, since Miyamoto thought it was so silly).

I'd like to know everybody else's opinions on this subject. :)

Beeker

Wild Card
The smarter enemies and the Motionplus combined will hopefully add some difficulty to combat, which would be interesting. As for puzzles, I want some challenge to them, and maybe motionplus will add some unique twists to them. I really want to be stumped in this one.:nod:

Hopefully, this is correct because I would love to finally see a modern Zelda game that actually has some difficulty in it. I want a game that actually makes me want to near enough cry with frustration at how hard it is, not how easy it is. The fact that the enemies have been kicked up a little in terms of their hardness, I think the next best way to make the game much harder would be to make the temples more confusing with more back tracking, much like Ocarina of Time's Forest and Water Temples. This is what made those temples so hard in my opinion, the twisted corridor in Ocarina of Time really confused me for a long time when I first played through the game.

If this is correct, I will be very happy with Skyward Sword in terms of it's gameplay, a lot of people have been making posts recently about wanting the game to be more difficult and how they would like that to occur. I think that as long as the enemies defense's get more and more inpenetrable as you make you way through the game, that it will suffice in stepping up the games difficulty. I just hope that they keep making the games more difficult as, in my opinion, the harder the game is the better.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Improved difficulty definitely has me psyched. Weak enemy AI and obvious puzzles have been quite pathetic as of late, especially the weak enemy AI since half the time those idiots just run up defenseless and it just becomes a random slaughter-fest of button mashing or wiimote swinging. Hardly challenging and a lot more tiresome than fun. So the 1:1 swordplay and improved enemy defenses are definitely a plus in my book, and hopefully the bosses all get similar treatments since most of us can agree that TP's bosses, even Ganondorf, were too easy.

As for the puzzles, did they really say they were scrapping block pushing puzzles? Too bad, I liked a lot of those, some of the more complex ones really were a good challenge, but I'm sure they can come up with something new and better if they do get rid of those. I also agree that the dungeons need to get a bit more confusing and elaborate, not just straightforward and obvious as to where to go next. Make us think a little bit, look around more, scratch our heads trying to figure out how to get something done, and some more new navigation puzzles we've never seen before.

By the way, has anything else been said to confirm or deny the possibility of adjustable difficulty levels? I can't remember. I still think that's a good idea since although most of us would like the game more difficult, there are still lots of players, particularly the younger ones, that like the games at their current easy level, so the choice should still be there for them.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Do You Think Skyward Sword Will Be Harder Than Twilight Princess?

When I watched Mr. Miyamoto demonstrate Skyward Sword at E3, I noticed that the enemies looked kind of difficult to defeat. When facing Deku Babas, the only way to defeat them with your sword is to slash perpindicularly to the way their mouths open up. In Twilight Princess, you could slash at them any way you want. Also, the Bokoblins actually block your attacks in Skyward Sword, whereas in Twilight Princess you could hack away and they'd fall eventually. So, do you think Skyward Sword will be harder?

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
everything is harder than twilight princess. its like they spent all their TP time on graphics and porting without making it difficult :/ i seriously hope it takes me at least 2 weeks to finish SS

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
With the more advance sword play methods and the new difficulty setting I have a feeling that Skyward sword will definitely be harder. I find Skyward Sword to actually be taking a page from Zelda 2 in this sense since in that game whenever you were dealing with enemies such as Stalfos or Iron Knuckles, the position of your sword was very important and really added to the strategy here. Now that they can implement that sort of sword play into the 3D that means the player will have to be more observant and on the ball to get this done.

One fight that I clearly remember seeing was this miniboss battle with a Stalfos. VVV

If you look at the fight you can see how the Stalfos Knight blocks your sword swings with it's own swords? You need to be reliant on your skills to react and attack or else that Knight will get you. Now imagine fighting multiple amounts of these sort of enemies. The thought just sends shivers down my spine.

Also, Puzzles with the new motion controls will be interesting to see. I hope to have puzzles that not only require a quick hand, but a quick brain as well. Those are stimulating for thought.

So yes, I believe this game to be much harder than Twilight Princess ever wanted to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I sure dang hope so. TP was WAY too easy. From the look of videos, SS looks fairly difficult. Aounuma even stated he wanted it to be hard.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Aonuma said he wants to UP the difficulty, and I think SS will be harder than TP, because clearing TP was easy as pie. SS has new, harder ways to defeat enemies, and I also think that selecting items won't bring up a pause screen, so it has to be harder than TP. I would always press up on the D-Pad in case I felt like pausing the game to ensure I wouldn't get hit while getting a soda outta the fridge. Too easy, not good in my opinion.

Beeker

Wild Card
It'd better be. TP was pretty easy but these controls do look like they'll add difficulty to the game. If these enemies are smarter, then it'll actually be fun for me to fight them.:)

everything is harder than twilight princess. its like they spent all their TP time on graphics and porting without making it difficult :/ i seriously hope it takes me at least 2 weeks to finish SS
I agree its to easy to beat everything in TP. Only thing somewhat difficult was the puzzles.

I hope it is and by the way the controls scheme is being pushed I really hope that they find inventive ways to use the remote for the puzzles as well as concentrating on the action aspect. I don't just mean things like drawing symbols on doors etc like in the handheld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom