• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Design Changed on Official Artwork

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
ZI reported yesterday that the artwork on the E3 pass has changed from the original. This image shows the official artwork on the left, with the artwork on the strap of the E3 pass on the right:
FqMlJ.jpg

Immediately after the GDC trailer when this new sword debuted I suggested that it is what the Skyward Sword would look like. Some didn't believe me, saying that this was just some random sword he received before the Skyward Sword, which looked just like the Master Sword. Of course, I knew that he must obtain the Skyward Sword before travelling to the land below, and it's very unlikely that the three or four dungeons shown in the GDC trailer were all in Skyloft. I think this update is even more evidence that the sword in the GDC trailer is indeed the Skyward Sword, which will eventually transform into the Master Sword both in name and in form. This raises another question though. In that article, I said that I didn't think the Master Sword in the E3 trailer, demo, and official art was retconned, meaning we would see the sword within the game. If they've changed the design in the official art, does this mean they're removing the Master Sword from the game, only leaving the implication that it transforms at the very end? So I guess one topic of discussion would be "When will the Skyward Sword become the Master Sword?" In the middle? Toward the end? or not until after the game's over? The Master Sword is also featured in the game's title. Will we see an update to that image as well? That'll be something to watch for at E3.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No, this is real. It's taken from a photo of Masahiro Sakurai's E3 Pass he uploaded on Twitter:
e3_sakurai_badge_01_thumb-thumb-320x427-7786.jpg

Hm. Well, I'm still not convinced that that is the Skyward Sword. It gives some pretty serious evidence for it, but I'm not gonna say it is unless Nintendo themselves say it. However, if this is the case, I say it'll change to the Master Sword about halfway through the game, as Zelda always has an upgraded sword.

Hm. Well, I'm still not convinced that that is the Skyward Sword. It gives some pretty serious evidence for it, but I'm not gonna say it is unless Nintendo themselves say it. However, if this is the case, I say it'll change to the Master Sword about halfway through the game, as Zelda always has an upgraded sword.

Well, there's always the GDC trailer, where Link was wielding the sword depicted in the updated artwork and an icon of the Skyward Sword Girl was visible on the D-Pad.
So far, that's evidence enough.

Djinn

and Tonic
That is interesting, I recall noticing the different sword in the screenshots taken from the keynote speech back in March. I also believe the artwork is depicting this sword.

sword.png

I was assuming it was going to be the SS version of the Ordon Sword or Recruit Sword. A weaker placeholder blade you use before you either empower it into something new or gain the Skyward sword. Artwork for TP shows Link carrying the Ordon sword a lot, I remember there were so many theories revolving around it at the time. Some even calling it a realistic design on the Master Sword to go along with the graphics update. Remember in previous games you typically gain the Master sword fairly early on, usually after the first three dungeons are completed. And then it is upgraded in some way much later in the game.

The transition may very well be this sword, then the Skyward Sword, then the Master Sword before the final boss. Now what I am wondering is, does this similar blade become the Skyward sword at some point? Or is it a replacement after a dungeon or two is completed? I does make some sense to me that Link might have to complete at least one dungeon before going down to the world below. Generally there is some kind of test dungeon you have to complete first before you can leave the into area. In OoT you had to defeat the Deku Tree dungeon before you could leave the forest, In WW you had to defeat the Dragon Roost cavern before you were allowed to sail anywhere on the Great Sea.
Similarly in WW you had to defeat the Tower of the Gods dungeon before you were recognized as the true hero worthy of being allowed to enter the land below and save the kingdom. Perhaps this game has a similar test system where you have to prove yourself worthy to the gods first before you can take the sword and go the the land below. Only it happens much earlier in this game

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I was assuming it was going to be the SS version of the Ordon Sword or Recruit Sword. A weaker placeholder blade you use before you either empower it into something new or gain the Skyward sword. Artwork for TP shows Link carrying the Ordon sword a lot, I remember there were so many theories revolving around it at the time. Some even calling it a realistic design on the Master Sword to go along with the graphics update. Remember in previous games you typically gain the Master sword fairly early on, usually after the first three dungeons are completed. And then it is upgraded in some way much later in the game.

The transition may very well be this sword, then the Skyward Sword, then the Master Sword before the final boss. Now what I am wondering is, does this similar blade become the Skyward sword at some point? Or is it a replacement after a dungeon or two is completed? I does make some sense to me that Link might have to complete at least one dungeon before going down to the world below. Generally there is some kind of test dungeon you have to complete first before you can leave the into area. In OoT you had to defeat the Deku Tree dungeon before you could leave the forest, In WW you had to defeat the Dragon Roost cavern before you were allowed to sail anywhere on the Great Sea.
Similarly in WW you had to defeat the Tower of the Gods dungeon before you were recognized as the true hero worthy of being allowed to enter the land below and save the kingdom. Perhaps this game has a similar test system where you have to prove yourself worthy to the gods first before you can take the sword and go the the land below. Only it happens much earlier in this game
But this sword is used in at least three separate dungeons in the GDC trailer. Going by Aonuma's description of the Skyward Sword being what reveals the land below and leads him on his journey, I think this game may skip the 'training' sword and go straight to the Skyward Sword, which may become the Master Sword after three dungeons or be otherwise upgraded throughout the game and become the Master Sword much later.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
But this sword is used in at least three separate dungeons in the GDC trailer. Going by Aonuma's description of the Skyward Sword being what reveals the land below and leads him on his journey, I think this game may skip the 'training' sword and go straight to the Skyward Sword, which may become the Master Sword after three dungeons or be otherwise upgraded throughout the game and become the Master Sword much later.

It could be this or what Djinn said. I always assumed he'd do one dungeon, get the Skyward Sword and then the rest of the game. We'll see. E3 is just around the corner, so I'm sure we'll get some answers.

Djinn

and Tonic

I still believe there are plenty of ways around this. It could be possible that the spirit is what decides to help you first while you do not actually gain the sword until a later date. Until that point you are using a weaker sword but are still getting info or help from the spirit. The skyward sword being in Link's hand in the demo a year ago might have only been there to show off the abilities such as the hold in the air charge shot.

It could still be possible that you have to go through one or more dungeons first before you can even enter the land below. Not to be allowed to go, but to find the means available to go down. Link might have the mission to enter the world below but lacks the ability and therefore much enter the temples on Skyloft to look for a way to safely survive the trip down. Link's mission in WW was originally to save Aryll, but he still had to take on other dungeons first before he could accomplish that. Link of TP wanted to save Illa but he had to go do many other things across Hyrule before that was a possibility as well.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I think it a truly awsome decision on Nintendo behalf, of giving you a sword that looks as bada** as the one in the artwork as your first weapon. I do believe that this game will follow suit in terms of when you get the Master Sword during the game, complete three dungeons were keys to the master sword are hidden, the use the ultra-powerful Master Sword to defeat the vilain. I see no problems with this formula, as it's fun, and the earlier dungeons help you get acustomed to the game (something we'll probably all need for Skyward Sword.)

Something I hope Nintendo does, is have you traped in Hyrule when you first go down, and then you complete the Forest Temple (see E3 area) and the lava dungeon, brobably death mountain. Then, as you and your spirit friend look for the thirs and final key to the Master Sword, you figure out that you have to go back up to Skyloft to get it... I really need this game to come out quickly, I'm am loosing my over all these theories...

Heres to a solid release date at E3 next tuesday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom