• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword DEFINITE Graphical Down-grade from Twilight Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overheadzelda

Reviver of threads
I am really not a fan of what I've seen so far of the graphics of Skyward sword. I mean, take Twilight Princess. (The last Zelda game for Wii,) It had a great realistic and detailed look to it. And now I see Skyward Sword, Who's graphics, (By no means terrible,) are cartoony and blurry, rather like WW. And, a bunch of people are really exited about Skyward Sword graphical style. :/

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
Thats the reason why people is excited in fact.

Take it like a combination of TP's graphics and WW cell-shading. Im not a HUGE fan of the looks either but I definitly find them very creative and innovative.

Thats the art style. WW graphics weren't because the GCN couldn't handle it, it could run TP. It was simply the art style that Nintendo wanted it to have.You can't expect that just because one Zelda game had a realistic art style at one point it means that every other game after that with be realistic as well.
As for the blurry thing, I didn't even notice it.

[..]It had a great realistic and detailed look to it. And now I see Skyward Sword, Who's graphics, (By no means terrible,) are cartoony and blurry, rather like WW. And, a bunch of people are really exited about Skyward Sword graphical style. :/

I don't think Twilight Princess had that realistic of a style. The character models and overall designs were more in the Uncanny Valley[sup][1][/sup] range. The overall appearance was definitely more on the realistic side then Skyward Sword is looking to be. Personally, I don't care for how Skyward Sword is looking so far that much, but I wouldn't say it's a downgrade, it more of a different strain altogether, than a downgrade or upgrade, I think that's too linear a scale to use.

Last edited:

Overheadzelda

Reviver of threads
I was just hoping for another realistic game since PH and ST Both featured a more cartoony look. (And since the TP characters models were used in SSB:cool:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
On the realistic scale, yup SS' graphics are downgrade from TP's. But on the beauty scale [although beauty is controversial to some], I would say SS' are an upgrade. Where TP was realistic, bland and blurry, SS looks to be somewhat cartoony, alive and detailed [for the mostpart].

And if you don't know this already, the reason why SS' graphics took a hit in the realistic department is that the developers can't exaggerate the gameplay with realistic graphics, it just wouldn't be...realistic.
Also, I should note that realism doesn't translate to better.

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
The blurry thing, as you called it, is amazing. It is like a painting come to life. If you can't appreciate the beauty of it, then something is wrong with you.

Besides, Nintendo fans have gotten used to graphics that aren't HD, we know that gameplay is everything!

It doesn't really matter which art style you prefer, no matter which way you look at it, Skyward Sword is an improvement. Twilight Princess, at its heart, has Gamecube quality graphics while Skyward Sword has a higher gloss effect, less-jagged edges, more colors, better lighting effects, etc.

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
For further comparison:

comparativestudy.jpg

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
This topic is stupid, really stupid. Has the OP seen the video of Eldin Volcano? I think he wants stuff like Elder Scrolls all the time. I don't see the point of realistic detail in a Wii game, it wouldn't compare to the HD twins. I prefer the painting and environmental detail that SS has.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
The graphics are an improvement, really. I think you're talking about the graphical art style of the game, which is subjective. But I fail to see how people are still able to argue that Skyward Sword's graphics are a step down from Twilight Princess's. TP's graphics were blocky at some points and used bland textures. Skyward Sword, on the other hand, has smooth graphics. Even if you don't like the art style of SS, it should be clear upon closer inspection that its graphical quality is greater than TP's.

That said, I do think that SS's art style is very beautiful. A vibrant style doesn't automatically call for a childish game. :)

Please go watch some Total Biscut. He talks about graphix in games very well. To sum it up, Graphix is about textures and polycount, NOT art style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom