• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Could Reset the Timeline?

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
Ok, this theory might be a little out there, but its possible... in my opinion, ok, so lets say we have Skyward Sword leading into OoT, diving into AT and CT, CT leading into its latest game TP and AT leading into ST, what if after the games some events happen that divide earth and sky?(i would vote for that to happen after ST). And time is a cycle in the zelda universe, making events repeat themselves or something, that being helped by the fact that Hyrule doesn't record alot of its history, leading it to SS again and then SS leading into other events instead of ocarina of time, like A link to the past and LA... Then the cycle resets and Oracles happen, then it resets again and link fails his adventure in SS, leading to chaos and creating the original legend of zelda...

There you can fit every single game fit in a linear timeline, just creating a split in one cycle of the repeating events(wich would be the CT in this case).

Here's a more graphical explanation so you can understand correctly,(I only mark games with effect on the timeline):

SS--->Oot--->Wind waker--->Spirit Tracks--->Cataclismic event separating sky and land(New SS)--->Lttp--->OoX--->Newer SS--->TLOZ 1
--->Twilight Princess--->???

In escence time is still going forward, but events reset, kind of like in futurama, where they travel so far in time it resets but their time machine detects it millions and millions of years in the future because it uses the same time measurment as in their own cycle, but people would still consider it to be a more primitive year in their own cycle.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
But they're not traveling in time during the events on the AT. It's just time moving forward as usual. There'd be no reason for it to reset. And, even if something like this were to happen, LA wouldn't come after ALttP, as it's a direct sequel to it, and ALttP takes place in the original Hyrule (Death Mountain, Sacred Grove, has Master Sword).

Last edited:

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
But they're not traveling in time during the events on the AT. It's just time moving forward as usual. There'd be no reason for it to reset. And, even if something like this were to happen, LA wouldn't come after ALttP, as it's a direct sequel to it, and ALttP takes place in the original Hyrule (Death Mountain, Sacred Grove, has Master Sword).

They're not traveling in time, its the same time going forward, just that time is ciclical(meaning than when a sertain year is reached the univerese resets and events occur again, and i only placed games that have to do with the timeline, so i excluded MM,LA and PH.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
They're not traveling in time, its the same time going forward, just that time is ciclical(meaning than when a sertain year is reached the univerese resets and events occur again, and i only placed games that have to do with the timeline, so i excluded MM,LA and PH.

That idea is rather silly when you get right down to it. There's absolutely nothing to suggest time would reset in the series. Not trying to be rude or belittle you, but this is just one of those theories that has no basis and no merit whatsoever.

this theory doesn't make much sense and sounds crazy to me. i don't think ss will change the timeline or make the placement of some of the hard to place ones any easier to place. i think a future zelda will make it easier to understand placement of the older games, the oracle games and the four sword saga. but i don't believe that hyrule will have to start over every few years that doesn't make sense. the only time i have heard a civilized people having to start over was after the roman empire fell but since hyrule already fell and the people did start over on their islands and re founded hyrule i don't see how they would need to keep restarting over and over again. i just don't see it happening. plus why would ss keep reoccurring? usually when civilization has to start over the don't do the exact same thing as they did before.

Last edited:

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
this theory doesn't make much sense and sounds crazy to me. i don't think ss will change the timeline or make the placement of some of the hard to place ones any easier to place. i think a future zelda will make it easier to understand placement of the older games, the oracle games and the four sword saga. but i don't believe that hyrule will have to start over every few years that doesn't make sense. the only time i have heard a civilized people having to start over was after the roman empire fell but since hyrule already fell and the people did start over on their islands and re founded hyrule i don't see how they would need to keep restarting over and over again. i just don't see it happening. plus why would ss keep reoccurring? usually when civilization has to start over the don't do the exact same thing as they did before.

Hyrule doesnt have good records of long term history, and it isnt the civilization, its the universe... besides, i made this theory to have fun, and i know it doesn't make much sense, but i had fun theorizing it and thats what the game theories are for, aren't they? I don't know you, but, game theorizing for me is always a good way of having fun..

And what im trying to say is that what if the zelda universe has a cyclical time: example, lets say we have a universe that started with an explosion, that is year 0, so a planet with inteligent beings is developed around year 2000 and when year 10,000,000(for example) arrives the universe "restarts", if you will, with another explosion, making the same planet with intelligent beings evolve and all circumstances equal to the last cycle, though if someone from the previous cycle were to be in the next cycle, it would be year 10,002,000. And in each cycle things could change(leading to skyward sword being the common point of ALL the cycles).

Please tell me if i explained myself correctly, thanks

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
No offense, but if there's no such a thing as a "universal Song of Time" it's impossible for the whole timeline to reset. It was possible in MM, but that was only for 3 days. How can time go back/reset for hundreds of years, just like that?

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
No offense, but if there's no such a thing as a "universal Song of Time" it's impossible for the whole timeline to reset. It was possible in MM, but that was only for 3 days. How can time go back/reset for hundreds of years, just like that?

Ok, i'll try to explain the cycle of time...

Ok, so, the universe is created= YEAR 0. An intelligent race appears= YEAR 2000. The intelligent race has wars, creates and develop technology and study science= YEAR 3000-4000. The universe ends= YEAR 4500. A new universe begin= OLD YEAR 4500, NEW YEAR 0. An intelligent race, with the same characteristics as the previous one in the last cycle appears= OLD YEAR 6500, NEW YEAR 2000. The intelligent race has wars, creates and develops technology and study science at a different rate with different outcomes= OLD YEAR 7500-8500, NEW YEAR 3000-4000. The renewed universe ends= OLD YEAR 9000, NEW YEAR 4500. A new universe begins.

Its just a cycle were the universe repeats itself after having beeing destroyed and has a lot of events that are virtually the same, but in smaller scale, in the little intelligent's race civilization, have a different outcome...

WOAH that was a lot of typing, I hope people understand what i mean after this post.

I am trying to figure out what you are trying to say.

Wouldn't the world have to start over? I don't see how something happens in the Adult timeline could effect the Child timeline. Or how something happens in ST effects what the events SS leads into.

I don't believe it could reset the timeline.

And sorry but I still don't know what you are talking about. And sorry if I went off topic.

Last edited:

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
I am trying to figure out what you are trying to say.

Wouldn't the world have to start over? And I still don't see how it would reset the timeline if something happened in the Adult timeline I don't see how it could effect the child timeline. I don't believe it will reset the timeline since the events of SS follow forging the Master Sword which leads up to OoT.

And sorry but I still don't know what you are talking about. And sorry if I went off topic.

Ok, i guess i don't explain myself correclty... im starting to think im kinda sucky(and by kinda i mean A LOT), what i mean in simple terms is that, each time a certain year is reached, the universe resets, with a lot of the same events occuring but with different substantial points, so that would mean that in every cycle SS starts it all, then events of a different game happen and the time cycle restarts, restarting the universe and making the another game happen:

Original Universe Begins-->SS-->Oot-->WW-->ST-->New Universe Begins-->SS-->(This time the outcome of Link's quest in SS had another outcome)Alttp-->Continues like this until every game happens after skyward sword.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
To be blunt, this doesn't seem like much of a theory in that it isn't based on observable evidence. I mean, I could just as easily say that a second Triforce was introduced to the universe and LttP happens between OoT and WW. Sure, it's possible, but there's no reason to believe that. In fact, for my specific example in to a certain extent yours, Occam's Razor suggests not to believe it simply because it is unnecessarily complex (in my case, two Triforces when the timeline can easily be explained with one; in your case, time loops where none are needed). If there was something to suggest that it would be impossible or unreasonable to explain the timeline without a loop, then it might be a good idea to consider one. If you noticed something to suggest this, please share it with us, because I haven't picked up anything of the sort in this thread so far.

I know, i but there isn't any event that could negate it, so that is space for my theory to come in.
This statement is what is called an Argument from Ignorance, or Negative Evidence. It's a logical fallacy and holds no weight. The nonexistence of contradictions doesn't affect a theory in any way. Existence of contradictions would refute it; existence of evidence would support it; (and while I'm at it - the final category - nonexistence of evidence does not make a theory false, only unsupportable and unreasonable to believe).

Although I don't think this theory holds any weight, but I do understand what you mean by 'time loop' Its not necessarily a travel through time deal, but more of history repeats itself over and over again. life, creation, destruction, life. It makes since to me, but I don't think its possible, well, I think its possible but very VERY unlikely. So sorry, but I have to agree with Locke. You have placed something that doesn't exist into the timeline, although possible for it to exist, it doesn't. But it is an interesting theory (to me at least), even though it probably won't happen.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
As interesting an idea as this sounds,—and really, it does sound quite intriguing—there is no basis in any of the games for a cyclic timeline, and thus, it is most logical to conclude, as Locke said, that there is not one.

Somehow, I doubt that Miyamoto and Aonuma would even want to make a game so focused on the timeline that would split the timeline further. I think they've learned their lesson over the confusion of the Ocarina of Time ending, and they probably won't try anything funny with the timeline in Skyward Sword. Most likely, we know just about everything there is to know about its timeline placement: before Ocarina of Time, leading into it. From what I understand of my limited experience, we have been told an unusually large amount of timeline stuff leading into the release. I suspect that thought there will be many Ocarina of Time references, there won't be any important timeline stuff in it aside from things we already know.

So, however cool it would be to see a cyclic universe and 3rd timeline branch, I think the producers will try to avoid timeline stuff as much as possible. I don't expect the conclusion to bring us anything shocking timeline wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom