• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Controls

Do you like Wii Motion Plus in SS?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Z

ZeldaMaster321

Hello this is ZeldaMaster321 hear to talk about a few things first skyward sword was an awesome game and my 2end zelda game 2 i would like to talk about an argument that has been going on for a while the controls my opinion i like them but people say its not calabrating right while some can get it to work fine but how could some people get it to work and some people are able to get it to wrork? the real propblem for most people is that when they are playing the game people get so exited and move around not even relizing there doing it it you are on one side of the couch and then move to the other of course its gonna be meesed up what people dont relie is that you have to be still and i dont mean like a statue but stay with in that area its easy for me because i plant my put on a chair and dont move but its an awesome game and i hope they make more games like it feel free to disagree but i personly like it if you have a reason why its not good or whatever send me a message or put in the comments thanks :)

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Uhm, well....

Although Skyward Sword's motion controls were executed fairly well, I still think it's pretty obvious it had it's flaws. The controls were often very sensitive. This notion occurred to me when preforming the Rickety Roller Coaster Side Quest, and it was very unpleasant. I did enjoy swinging my sword, and aiming my items with the help of said motion controls. It gave off a more realistic effect to the game. Overall though, I liked SS's motion controls, I just believe they could have been better.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword's controls borked out for a lot of people because they're imperfect and flawed. Not the people, but the controls themselves. The game isn't perfectly 1:1. In fact, it's more like 1:1.5. It cannot track all of the multiple movements that some players do, thus it has to be calibrated and recalibrated over adn over and over again. A fault of the controls. It should be able to track all of the movements at once, but nuuu.

I think the main problem is people move around so much, and the sensor bar is in different places for different people, so the calibration will always be slightly off. Me, I only really had trouble with the thrusts and vertical slashes...sometimes I was able to get them right and sometimes it was troublesome. It's an imperfect science.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Skyward Sword's controls borked out for a lot of people because they're imperfect and flawed. Not the people, but the controls themselves. The game isn't perfectly 1:1. In fact, it's more like 1:1.5. It cannot track all of the multiple movements that some players do, thus it has to be calibrated and recalibrated over adn over and over again. A fault of the controls. It should be able to track all of the movements at once, but nuuu.

I've never had to recalibrate my controls, so they can't be that flawed. I agree with the fact that it wasn't perfect, but some people (not necessarily you, haha) talk about them like they completely ruined the game.

If it's not the people, then it must be your Wii, or your controller, or the position of the sensor bar (?), or something.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The controls are flawless. Yes, flawless. They're not perfect, as there are things that can be done to make them even better, but there are absolutely no flaws in how they are used. The only way they can "mess up" is from improper calibration or flailing the remote wildly for extended periods of time. Even when they "mess up" after flailing wildly, though, they get right back on either by swinging down a few times or pointing the remote at the screen. Some people would say that them getting out of whack via flailing is a flaw, but it's not. The game not being able to keep up with insanely fast swinging is completely understandable. Each swing Link performs takes a certain amount of time to complete, just like in past titles, only this time they're not performed in a sequence. Trying to read multiple swings at once is impossible for any machine. That's what's called human error, as it's the player's fault for swinging too fast, not the game's fault for not being able to keep up. If it got behind after swinging normally, that'd be different. But it's not like that. Multiple, ridiculously fast swings must be performed and, again, it has to be for an extended amount of time. Any and all issues with the controls lie with the player. Otherwise it would be impossible to play SS without any issues with them. Flawless to the core.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If it's not the people, then it must be your Wii, or your controller, or the position of the sensor bar (?), or something.

It can be any of these, but the majority of the time it's going to be the people. If one of the mechanisms borks out, then that's not the person's fault, but if everything is functioning as it should and problems are occurring (which is probably 95% of the time), it's all on the player no question.

M

Mog of war

I didnt really hate the controls for skyward sword much. i mean fighting dat jamaican octopus was super annoying because i couldnt skyward strike and i looked like an iddiot. trio the punch was watching me too. but other than that.... fine

Z

ZeldaMaster321

If you stay put you won't have to recalibrate it I had no problem

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I love that Nintendo decided to go with the Wii Motion+ attachment for the main implementation of Skyward Sword's controls. They, as a result, stimulated an invigorating and immersive experience for me, pulling the player deeper into the action and adventure that constitutes Zelda.
s7-thumb-400x224-8033.jpg
The world was bright and vibrant with color, even in the barren wastes of Present Lanayru and the volcanic terrain of Eldin, which somehow seemed to accentuate the effects of the motion controls. I found it enjoyable to partake in the vast array of puzzles that pervade almost every inch of the game, and an engaging challenge to face off with the various operatives within Ghirahim's forces. Most importantly, though, I think the controls act as a bridge to truly connect the player with the world inside the game. Whenever I swung my Wiimote, Link followed suit with his sword, and it felt as if I really was the one controlling his actions. Well, besides his hands and arms; everything else is functional due to how the game was produced. When Link runs, we're not jogging in place or dashing toward the sensor bar (which would have been aggravating indeed); we have to press a button for that. But I'm perfectly fine that it's that way, because the main focus, movement-wise, is on the upper torso anyhow.

Not only does Skyward Sword have a lot to do with motion outside the game, but it even introduced a few action-based features inside the game as well. These added touches inspire the player to take a little more time and care in their gameplay and against enemies. We have the Skyward Strike, which sends a surge of energy down Link's sword while it charges, and then he can expel the revolving beam into an oncoming attacker or a Goddess Crest. The Stamina Meter (or Air Gauge if underwater) is another one that affects movement because it causes Link to go kaput if he overexerts himself. Running, rolling, or using too many Spin Attacks all at once will make the gauge drop exponentially or even put his life on the line. So in this particular case the danger is manifested in our own actions.

NI4T

*Running up a steep incline

In addition to those features, Skyward Sword has a very broad arsenal and wide use of items. Unlike previous items, where you either pressed or held down a button to utilize one and move it around with the analog stick, in Skyward Sword each weapon is controlled by the motion of the Wiimote somehow. It can be a simple swipe or by pointing the Wiimote toward a certain location on the screen. The former is applied for swiping the Bug Net or slinging out the Whip, whenever a single motion sets off the desired effect of them both. Rolling bombs first requires you to hold the Wiimote down, directly where you want to send it, and let it go; tossing bombs was a simple downward motion.

e3-legend-zelda-skyward-sword-screens-copy-500x280.jpg

*Preparing to bowl a bomb into an enemy

On the other hand, the latterly maneuver is attributed to the long-distance items in Skyward Sword. As I mentioned, pointing the Wiimote at a desired target would aim the item in that direction. For me this was way more fluid and often quicker than tilting the analog stick to just the right spot, which expanded on how the motion controls brought the game to life. They made the items very versatile and integrated in many challenges in puzzles and combat.
2j31ij8.jpg
Some of the challenges were as simple as using the Gust Bellow to sweep uncover a switch buried beneath the sand, or in a more engaging light, sniping enemies from afar before they could even detect you. Aside from holding a button down to activate the Slingshot, Gust Bellow, dual Clawshots, and Bow, everything is completely focused on the player's movement. The Beetle is the only exception, for when it's utilized, it becomes a separate tool that Link has no more physical control over. The player guides it on to a desired target themselves, where they then order it to speed up, drop bombs, or run into a switch/Timestone [depending on the upgrade]. My only gripe is that it consistently took the pointer a second or two to catch up with my motion; in a fast-paced battle using the Bow, such as with Tentalus, I needed to act quickly, but this thwarted my progress quite a bit.

Likewise, the Motion+ also controlled the direction Link moved in some instances. The Wiimote became like the analog stick, steering him around in a field of water, which hearkens back to Zora Link's ability from Majora's Mask, and doing the same with the new addition of riding a Loftwing in the Sky—heck, we could even control a motorboat! Shaking the Wiimote would cause Link to burst forward, doing a spin attack underwater, or in the Sky have his Loftwing flap to gain altitude. So long as there was not interference outside the game (sensor bar pointing the wrong way, dysfunctional Wiimote, etc.), both of these maneuvers flowed seamlessly with the gameplay. There were few times when a button had to be pressed—to have the Loftwing perform a speed boost, for example—but only because all the movements wouldn't have fit in with the Motion+ alone.

NnrG

*Swimming beneath a watery terrain

Swordplay is the most emphasized combat component in Skyward Sword. Due to the intelligent nature of SS adversaries, the player finds it much harder to land a blow on a foe, because they're constantly parrying and moving around, while looking for an opening in Link's defense.
4227775.jpg
The opponents of previous games would almost always leave themselves open, without even attempting to ward Link's blade away. But the Motion+ made it possible for them to block from nearly all sides, and the player had to uncover the window of opportunity themselves. Needless to say this made clashes very engaging and oftentimes difficult to overcome with relative quickness. Flailing the sword around wildly seldom got anywhere, as most (if not all) of the enemies had some sort of protection. The player had to watch out and react quickly enough if they wanted to strike a direct opening. For foes such as Stalfos or Bokoblins, who switched the stance of their swords quite a bit, the player simply needed to be aware of the open space. Harder foes—Lizalfos and Moblins in mind—carried huge shields that covered the majority of their bodies, so Link has to wait for them to drop their defenses, or get around them and attack from behind. And some enemies didn't even wear protection, but could only be defeated if Link slashed them in certain areas (Beamos and Sentrobes), whiles others are slain by simple sword strokes (Chuchu and Keese). Most of the time, though, an adversary will be carrying a sword, and Link must hit the opposite direction that they use it to block.

Outside of combat, the sword has become a useful resource for a number of other features. The aforementioned Skyward Strike was one of them as it dematerialized the Goddess Cubes and activated Hylian Crests. In my opinion, the Strike was underused in terms of puzzle-solving, but the sword itself still had multiple uses. There were doors locked by eyeballs, that could only be opened by "befuddling" the eye [nearly similar to "Mr. I" from Super Mario 64]. Additionally combination locks also kept Dungeon doors fastened, and could only be opened if the sword knocked the "dials" in the right pattern. However, I believe that the most crucial element of the sword was the brand-new process appropriately labeled dowsing. In the game, dowsing is using the sword as a sort of indicator to detect traces of a desired target which Fi picks up and lets Link know if he's on the right path. Dowsing itself is almost like a puzzle that encourages exploration, but again, movement is required to set things in motion [no pun intended]—and Nintendo did an excellent job establishing this new feature for the sword.

Skyward-Sword-Screens-Dowsing.jpg

*Dowsing for buried treasure...possibly?

Now to delve into the rougher aspects of the Wii Motion+.

For a huge deal of the time, the motion controls worked great and were extremely responsive. But as others have mentioned above, too much movement all at once could produce a "confusion" in the calibration. This would give way to the game having to pause itself in order to recalibrate and then continue where it left off. Personally, I experienced this more than I would have liked, but looking back I can understand why.
NYn2
It's because of the immense level of gameplay interaction in Skyward Sword; during some really intense moments it was easy to get carried away. By that I mean whipping the Wiimote around like a madman (something Mr. McShea would relate to) until the sensor bar couldn't properly pick up the signal. Compared to, say, Wii Sports, Skyward Sword was not some casual title that people could sit back and play nonchalantly the entire time. Literally like the only time I could truly relax while on the move was flying the Loftwing. The rest of the time I was continuously active, fighting foes, dodging rolling boulders, running from one point to another, etc. SS, in this sense, lent me the feeling that I was a part of the adventure and that I had to be lively every minute of it. Another thing that the motion controls contributed drastically to.

Given all that, Wii Motion+ immersed the player in various aspects, although it also stationed them under some intuitive duress sometimes, which would in turn affect the controls. Take all of The Imprisoned's battles, for example. After breaking free from his seal, this enormous menace makes his way to toward the Sealed Temple. Link is charged to stop him by slashing off all his toes, making him fall backwards. This caused the player to think and act quickly in light of a pressure that Zelda fans typically don't experience. During these hurried moments it was possible to swing the Wiimote so much force that it threw off the calibration. Perhaps this even offset the quickness of the motion sensor, like I brought up in relation to long-distance items; thankfully though, the issue could be resolved with the push of a button to center the pointer on the screen. At any rate, whenever the controls go haywire, it could very well be the player's movement that originates the need to recalibrate. But before that it should be noted that the game is set up with moments of complete urgency, and that they are partially the blame that the player is rushed.

tumblr_lsr4nsrQXv1qjnbllo1_500.jpg

*Ghirahim caught my sword! These controls stink!

In Conclusion:

So no, Wii Motion+ might not be perfect at this time, and nor is it without flaws, but motion controls can be expanded on and improved in the future. They weren't synonymous to "bad" in any manner, except when they stopped to calibrate abruptly. The swordplay and item-wielding exponent flowed smoothly with the pattern of movement. This had already been developed to a nearly perfected degree in terms of prompt responsiveness, and despite the issues I highlighted above, they were very minimal next to the extensive playtime of Skyward Sword. I just look forward to what Nintendo can do with them in the future, if they choose to use them again, and hope that a new system is made to further ensure that no problems occur.

ht9rvp.jpg

Last edited:

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Took me about an hour or two to realize I could roll bombs, I was stuck in the fire area for awhile because of that lol

Wii Motion Plus

:wave:What do you think of the wii motion plus?:wave:

I enjoy it because it makes me feel more active in the game. I did like the controls in TP, but SS is just a little bit better.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Wii Motion Plus was executed almost perfectly. I have a few minor gripes with calibration as well as tracking, but other than that, 1:1 swordplay was amazing. I can't complain.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
The Wii Motion + worked so well with Skyward Sword, it was near perfect. Like Vanitas previously stated, I also loved the 1:1 swordplay. Although, I did experience several problems with aiming. Not to mention the calibration system was rather off. Disregarding that, it was phenomenal. I'd love to see something like that in another Zelda game. (:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom