• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword - Another Split in the Timeline? (SS Ending, Read at Your Own Risk!)

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
This post includes ending details, read at your own risk!

After reading text dump on Zelda Informer and watching the final battle with Demise on Ustream (it ended already), I found an interesting detail - the game features time travel.

The final battle takes place in "the world of tha Past". After defeating Demise, Link places the Master Sword on the pedestal (still in the Past), and returns to the Present via the Time Gate. The Master Sword is present after time travel in both worlds. Could this create another split in the timeline, like at the end of Ocarina of Time - the Legend will continue in the Present and in the Past? I think this is possible - Demise's "descendant" will depend on the timeline. We will have one Ganon per one timeline. This could happen after Skyward Sword ending:

After SS, the timeline splits. The "Past" timeline leads to The Minish Cap, and the "Present" timelime leads to Ocarina of Time (Ganon appears here). From OoT, the timeline splits as usual (Adult - The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Child - Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess).

In the world of the Past, years after The Minish Cap, rest of Four Swords series takes place. In Four Swords Adventures, Ganon appears (with the Trident). More years later, A Link to the Past, Oracles and Link's Awakening. And later, finally the original Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link.

Timeline summary:
---/--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/LA--TLoZ/TAoL
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

There might be the opposite ("Past" leads to Ocarina of Time, and "Present" to The Minish Cap), but this is my theory. Discuss!

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
This sounds very plausible. And dude, if you were watching the main stream, I would've used a HyperCan to record it and then put it on YouTube... and the post it here. ;)

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I like this theory it makes alot of sense. My only question is why did u choose to put LoZ and AoL where they are? im curious as to why u think ganon reappeared in LoZ. Also, in AoL some of the towns are named after sages that link awakened in OoT, does this mean that they could be in the adult timeline where they were awakened?

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
I will not risk putting SS stuff on YouTube. Link vs Demise video was taken down. Officialy due to copyright reasons, but I think there is a conspiracy here - taken down due to uploading before official release.

TLoZ and TAoL at the Adult Timeline - this could work, but only if this chain (TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/LA--TLoZ/TAoL) will be placed after Spirit Tracks. Other placement of this chain is after Twilight Princess, but both placements have different problems. Ganon in TLoZ - in the official artwork and BS Zelda games he wields the Trident. I think that's OoX Ganon. He wasn't killed in these games, even if he has been resurrected with side-effects. During the final battle in TLoZ, he only teleports form one place to another and shoots fireballs - I think that's pretty much mindless attacks.

Ganon0075

Ganon, King of Douchness.
Intresting....
Your theory seems very plausible and would maken the timeline even more intresting.
I can't wait to get the game so that I may study it and learn it's secrets. ^_^

This post includes ending details, read at your own risk!

The final battle takes place in "the world of tha Past". After defeating Demise, Link places the Master Sword on the pedestal (still in the Past), and returns to the Present via the Time Gate. The Master Sword is present after time travel in both worlds.

If he put the sword back in the slot in the past, of course it is supposed to be there in the future. You could probably say that if it was missing in the future, that another hero took it before Link got back to the future, and that would be the split timeline. But the sword is where it is supposed to be. So there is nothing special about that.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Yes, Link seals the Master Sword in the Past, then returns to the Present. I still remember this from the ending watched yesterday. However, I still need more information about time travel and "World of the Past".

Good news - currently second quest is broadcasted live (current state: between 2nd and 3rd dungeon). You can watch it here (of course, at your own risk):
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword---playthrough

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, Link seals the Master Sword in the Past, then returns to the Present. I still remember this from the ending watched yesterday. However, I still need more information about time travel and "World of the Past".

Hm. That's an interesting bit of info. Well, I think this theory is very plausible. It seems kind of redundant to do this sort of thing, but it's a very logical way to fit the FSS accurately on the timeline. It's been impossible so far with the modern canon, and I really don't think there'd be another way to place the FSS than for it to be a separate legend (which it can't be, Aonuma's stated all the games are on one timeline) or for something like this to happen.

Depends on the method of time travel. If it's based on the Temple of Time, Link isn't changing the past. If an external force is used, then he could be changing the past. I haven't seen the ending, so I can't say for sure.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Depends on the method of time travel. If it's based on the Temple of Time, Link isn't changing the past. If an external force is used, then he could be changing the past. I haven't seen the ending, so I can't say for sure.

It's apparently real time travel. Zelda has to go back to the World of the Past to keep Demise sealed. Impa is also from this time period and has to remain there at the end, so she came from the past.

SecretNerd-sshh

Its a secret to everyone
Greaaat. Well, we are in for an era of conforming and converting to a double split theory, if the MS is sealed in the past for sure.

Edit- the more im thinking about this the more im falling in love with this. I cant wait to see for myself in a few days

Last edited:
It's apparently real time travel. Zelda has to go back to the World of the Past to keep Demise sealed. Impa is also from this time period and has to remain there at the end, so she came from the past.
Seems that it's going by "Terminator" rules of not being able to change the past. That's the thing about time travel in Zelda; it switches between "Terminator" and "Back to the Future" rules. Granted, there are specific reasons when it switches to "yeah, now you can change the past"; but that doesn't stop it from being annoying.

Once again, I'd have to see or play it to be sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom