• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword: A Link to the Future?

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
As you can see in the title, I'm linking SS with the distant future for hyrule. My theory is that the dark magic Ghirahim isn't using as much magic as we think. I'm wondering: Is it possible that Ghirahim's dark magic is actually some form of digital (electronic) power?

This may seem weird to bring up with any Zelda game, especially with SS having the construction of the Master Sword. But even though it seems weird, hear me out. I have two pieces of evidence that could support my theory.

1. Beetle: The Beetle has never been seen before in the Zelda series. To me, it seems a bit high-tech to be at the beginning of the timeline (if there even is one.) The beetle doesn't seem to have much to do with Skyloft because the Skyloftian symbol is a bird, and it can't be seen on any of the two beetles we've encountered. This leads me to my point about the beetle. It's been seen in the trailers that we obtain upgraded versions of the beetle. This could mean that other players may have beetles and/or beetles can be purchased throughout the game. If this is the case, then a number of people would need the technology to put the beetle together along with any additional features and the remote control. This could support my theory of dark magic actually being advanced technology.

2. Phi: We've seen Phi in official artwork and now in trailers, and just recently we received a name for her. The name isn't importatnt at the moment so much as how she talks. As we've seen, she seems to talk like a computer. In the demo when Link obtains the upgraded beetle, she literally says "analyzing data." This seems to point out that Phi has an advanced way of talking, as if she's a little window that pops up when you're trying to download something. This could also mean that Phi digitaly stores all of Link's items for him by transforming them into data.

As I type this, it seems a bit far fetched, even to me. But what do you think? Possible? Impossible? Plain old crazy?

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
Eiji Aonuma said:
Technology actually was not a major concern for us when we decided to use the train. In The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, the boat was the key mode of transportation. Now that Spirit Tracks takes place on land, we needed a new way for players to get around, and felt that the train offered the best sense of exploration and discovery. We don't think it feels out of place in the game world. Trains are also a popular mode of transportation in Japan. My children and I still feel a great sense of adventure when we ride trains in Japan.

Regarding use of other forms in technology in the future, as long it adds to the overall game experience and is something we feel the player would enjoy, we wouldn't be afraid to implement it. As a matter of fact, we have used the Hook Shot in several previous games, which would be considered a very modern type of technology, even by today's standards.
Technology in the Zelda games doesn't really mean much; it's just there to add to the gameplay experience.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
We've seen lots of different technology stuff before. Majora's Mask had electric lights and amps! (Yes, it's a parallel world, but you know what I'm saying.) With Phi, what makes you think she's a machine? Just because her voice is like that doesn't mean she's something electrical. It's just to be different. Point is, technology doesn't matter in Zelda. I'm pretty sure bombs weren't around in the time setting Zelda's set in, as well.

As far as Ghirahim's magic goes, it's definitely magic. I mean, just from the way it looks we can tell that. But I'm also certain that Nintendo wouldn't pull something like that. (Same thing with Phi.) This is just me talking, here, but I believe I'm speaking for most of us here.

A lot of things in SS appear to be ancient technologies designed by very sophisticated civilizations, and we've seen this before in Majora's Mask, which appears to be more advanced, technologically speaking (than OoT). The Tower of the Gods in the Wind Waker is yet another example; Twilight Princess also shows many instances of advanced tech being used. It would seem that an awful lot (if not all) of the Light/Holy-based dungeons/temples throughout the series feature some form of advanced tech.

Hmm...I dunno. One thing's for sure is since Skyward Sword does take place at the beginning of the timeline, we can assume that all (if not most) the tech featured in future games (OoT, MM, WW, TP, etc) are probably based on, or belongs to the ancients from Skyward Sword's time period. ...or are remnants from that period(SS).

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I think that the game could be a futurist Hyrule but it could just be technology that hasn't been found maybe because the it is found in a different village than Link comes from in the other Legend of Zelda. That is just what I think if any of you think something different that is your opinion like this is mine

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
It would be interesting if that were the case. But I think that it isn't. I don't think that Nintendo would add electronic power to a Zelda game, specifically one set so far in the past. But this is just my theory.

What if the advanced technologies in the Zelda series ran on magical power instead; better yet-in some other cases-wind, geothermal, hydro, or solar energy?

Heheh. It's not so far-fetched when you think on it a bit, as it is not hard to imagine Hyrule (and other places) living off the natural energies of their own world. There's nothing futuristic and out-of-this-world about that, right?

The more advanced-looking locales in the series-light/holy-based temples, dungeons, ruins-might utilized either magic or natural energy as a source to power themselves. *gasp* ...or perhaps a combination of the two. So, in a nutshell, can we really rule out darkness as a form of energy?

Hmm... Some examples:
In Ganondorf's Tower in Ocarina of Time there was a powerful, magical barrier. Surrounding and extending from the barrier were six "power lines(?)". Running through each power line was a different form of magical energy-forest/wind, fire, water/cold, spirit, shadow, light. The magical energies are what kept the barrier strong.
In the Wind Waker: The entire Tower of the Gods (another light/holy-based dungeon) ran on a rather peculiar non-elemental magic similar to that of electricity. Gohdan, the main boss of the tower, was powered by that very same energy, and used in to attack Link. One could argue that that same energy was used in the ToT (TP).

Digital energy might be taking it a little too far...

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I even said myself that digital energy was a bit far fetched. Its in fact so far fetched that i need to thank everyone for even considering it. THANK YOU!

Interesting...Nintendo has always had things in zelda which make us think so maybe it was all done intentionally. SS is really a mix between WW and TP, and both thoses games had weird moments of technology being ahead of its time. It could very well be a stylistic thing and not really something that affects the timeline. Who knows...

interesting, but I would say no, or at least a "small no", the technology is not really important in zelda, we has seen a lot of technology before (LA phones FTW), and I dont think it means something very important

at this moment, I dont think that zelda is really a middle age based game, of course it may be the main style, but not too much, imao

PS : I liked the idea of technology = dark magic xD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom