• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyrim or Witcher 3?

SageOfSinging

Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness
Is this a question?...
Skyrim!
The over world is outstanding!
The story is great!
There are no awkward sex scenes.
It's just an over all great game.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
i'm not sure it's a far question. The Witcher series is more focused on telling you a kind of thrilling adventure story, in a large overworld, while Skyrim, and TES in general, focuses on a more build your own adventure model. They fill different roles and I'm not sure you can really say which is better. Though the lack of your own personal character puts Witcher down a few pegs for me.

Is this a competition? The modding community for Skyrim is Massive! The amount of mods available is absolutely outstanding. The Witcher 3 modding community has not even made it off the ground.

The mods Skyrim has can change the gameplay in amazing ways!

Witcher 3 mods are very Basic...

No Competition,

Skyrim wins!

I can't think of a single advantage to Skyrim other than first person view. Witcher 3 is basically a higher quality version in every other way, and the story specifically is incomparable.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Is this a competition? The modding community for Skyrim is Massive! The amount of mods available is absolutely outstanding. The Witcher 3 modding community has not even made it off the ground.

The mods Skyrim has can change the gameplay in amazing ways!

Witcher 3 mods are very Basic...

No Competition,

Skyrim wins!
Well the game's been out for a few months, while Skyrim's been out for nearly 4 years. Not exactly fair.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but Skyrim left me with a little more to be desired. Like Doom said, I too think Oblivion was a better game.
From what I've seen from my brother playing W3, I think it could be better than Skyrim (or at least; I'll find it more satisfying in the end).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
After playing a lot of Witcher 3 lately, I've got to say that the claims that it is bigger than Skyrim really..... aren't true at all. In terms of amount of content, they're actually about the same. And Skyrim actually has a lot more to explore. And significantly more ruins, caves, and dungeons to explore than Witcher 3. While Witcher 3 has far more settlements than Skyrim, only about 75% of them are actually inhabited. And of those, maybe one in four will not even have any sidequests at all, and then the rest will all have just one. With only major centers of the main story having more than one.

And even though it technically represents a larger area, and the in-game world is much, much larger than Skyrim's, there's way less in it. And most of the area is actually empty space between locations. And most of the locations on the map that you can "explore" are just a treasure chest, or a map to a nearby treasure chest, protected by one or more enemies and that's it. Not the intricate and complicated optional locations that Skyrim had. The only really complicated locations in the game are in main quests, or sidequests that are "spun off" of main quests. Typically with a character in a main quest asking for your help with something else after you get their help in that main quest. Technically there are more "quests" in Witcher 3, but most of them are extremely short and simple and just can't compare to Skyrim's much longer sidequests that have more steps to them. The only Witcher 3 sidequests that compare to Skyrim's sidequests are the ones I just mentioned, the ones spun off the main quest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really loving Witcher 3, and I'm going to finish it in one go, which I've never done with Skyrim. But the whole idea that it blows away Skyrim is very incorrect. What it really does better is story and dialogue. It does a way better job at that than Skyrim. And the combat is obviously a bit more fun. But Skyrim still destroys it on number of sidequests to do and their depth and intricacy, and on exploration and amount of stuff to explore. And I actually liked Skyrim's smithing system more than Witcher 3's.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's a tough one.

I have similar feelings to both games really. To start off, both are huge worlds and have tons to do, see and explore. Though this also put me off from both games even though I enjoy playing them when I can. Everything feels like a chore and I get distracted far too much. I'll go one place and try to do a quest and I'll find a location (or two, or three, or four) on the way and, from those locations, more quests until the point were I've got a quest-line that looks more like a book. Trust me, I love open world games and large RPGs and I've sunk 100s of hours into the Fallout franchise, but I just can't seem to get into these two enough to the point where they become favourites of mine. I felt like the Fallout games had a better balance with its overworld and things to do without me just getting uninterested in exploring or completing quests.

Though above is my only real gripe with the two games and something that's more so a personal preference than anything else. So which one's better? I honestly couldn't choose. Skyrim had a better overworld in my opinion with more dungeon-like areas, while the Witcher did become a tad repetitive with its locations (also I really disliked the borders in the Witcher were you had to turn back and how it had separate overworlds too). There's no doubt about it though, the Witcher has the better atmosphere and soundtrack to accompany the amazing graphics, which give it this dark fantasy feel. Combat is a tough one as well, the Witcher 3 definitely feels smoother and more tactical, but the weapons and abilities that Skyrim had kind of made it more enjoyable in my opinion. Story (though Skyrim seems to have a deeper more interesting lore), I'll have to go with the Witcher since it felt more personal and not "I'm a dragonborn and special" or "which side should I choose". One had more choice, but former felt more compelling even though I haven't completed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom