• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyloft, City in the Sky, Lofwings, Ooccas, Wind Tribe, Palace of the Winds O_o

The powers that were keeping Skyloft afloat were still very much in tact at the end of the game despite Skyloft no longer being needed and despite it being more beneficial if those humans were on the ground.
I don't recall us ever seeing Skyloft after the defeat of Demise. I'm almost done with Hero Mode and will be able to see the ending again, but I'm pretty sure we never see Skyloft again. For all we know it came crashing down after the defeat of Demise just like the Goddess Statue did previously.

There are plenty of connections.
Such as? The fact that they're both in the sky isn't much of a connection.

Even if you don't believe the theory there is one, they're both flying.
You know what else is flying? The Isle of Songs. And Fun Fun Island. Why aren't you trying to claim that either of those things turn into the City in the Sky?

Skyloft and the City in the Sky are extremely different. Architecture-wise, they're not even slightly similar. Skyloft has a LOT of water, yet none is to be seen in the City in the Sky. Skyloft is one huge piece of land, the City in the Sky is a multitude of tiny, tiny islands.

Really, it would make much more sense to insist that any of those other clusters of islands are turned into the City in the Sky by the Oocca.

You didn't miss anything, It's never said or implied anywhere that Skyloft becomes Castletown. That statement is pure speculation with no supporting in game or canon theory.
i support my theory by the end of the game with location of the temple of time w/ MS beside a giant crater. in OoT it is beside castle town.....made sense to me....

i support my theory by the end of the game with location of the temple of time w/ MS beside a giant crater. in OoT it is beside castle town.....made sense to me....

But the crater was filled by the Statue of the Goddess and there weren't any other craters beside it. In OoT, it was supposed to be in the woods, just like all the other Master Sword locations but they changed it to be in Castletown due to get shock factor when you walk outside and see a city of redeads.

Now taking OoT into consideration, wouldn't it make sense to start a new city where a treasured divine object would be located? This is the most known place on the surface and holds the most significant value to the characters in the story so it would only make sense for them to create a city at this location.

You're still not using any canon facts and it's still just mere speculation that doesn't even show any support of your theory.

We see people both flying down and back up to the sky.
We do not see where they are flying to/from, however. They are a flying people, so perhaps they are scouting out the land. Simply seeing them flying up and flying down from above cannot prove Skyloft is still up there. That's not even my argument, however. Maybe it is slowly descending.

Zelda tells Link she will stay ont he surface and asks him what he will do. If Skylfot was no longer in the air, that question wouln't have been asked.
That's assuming a lot. That's assuming that Zelda is omniscient. How is she to know if Skyloft is descending or has descended? Also, Skyloft probably would remain called "Skyloft" despite the fact that it is no longer aloft, for a bit, probably. However, I will concede that it would appear that Zelda is under the impression that Skyloft is still aloft and that there's a choice to be made between up and down. She's not omniscient, however. And I also think that her putting that choice to Link is really just Nintendo's way of playing with the romance a bit.

RE: why you're so focused on Skyloft being the City in the Sky when there are plenty of other islands up there.
Because those islands were not nearly as big, nor as heavily populated as Skyloft. The City in the Sky is a city after all so implies there were a great number of people living there
What does how populated they are have to do with anything? Assuming Skyloft is still up there by TP and all Skyloftians had deserted Skyloft for Hyrule, what would it matter? The Oocca would have to have completely torn down and rebuilt the buildings since the architecture isn't even slightly similar. Or they could have built from scratch on a collection of smaller islands.

Which is my main point.

Skyloft is one HUGE island. City in the Sky is a collection of many smaller islands. Assuming that they are the same place asks that something happened to Skyloft to break it into many smaller islands. And then that the Oocca had all of the buildings were taken down. And then that the Oocca had new buildings built. That's asking a lot. It's much simpler to belive that Skyloft, having fulfilled its purpose, returned to whatever crater it was ripped out of, and that the Oocca built their City in the Sky on a collection of smaller islands.

Otherwise, explain:
1) Where in OoT geography is this gigantic crater in the center of the land?
2) What caused Skyloft to break into many smaller islands?
3) If the Skyloftians are the ones who built the more modern buildings, where did they all go by TP time? Why haven't we heard of them up there in OoT time?

The Oocca where chickens with wings for arms and could barely lift anything heavier than a human. I can't buy that idea that they built the city (I never did when I first played TP).
Yet that's exactly what you must believe because that is what is stated, unequivocally, in TP.

Similarly, if you go to the city in the sky, just behind the place where you land there is a small bridge that looks as if something has been broken off it because it is so short. However if you look closely you'll see that the bridge was designed that way and looks like a stone version of the diving platforms from SS. Obviously this is far from evidence, but it's just a small little detail that I thought was quite a nice little inclusion from Ninty.
You cannot ask me to believe that when Nintendo created TP they had Skyloft already in mind down to the detail of the diving platforms.

Last edited:
Here are some thoughts of mine from an old thread concerning Skyloft and the CitS. Note: This is a very old theory.
I am really starting to think we might see whole A LOT of ret-con going on in Skyward Sword...wow.. For this very reason, I chose the "Other" option on the poll.

I think Skyloft will reunite with Hyrule at the end of SS, or some other point between SS and Ocarina of Time, as such an event would- under normal circumstances -take a vast amount of energy, manpower, and a lot of time to come to fruition. If this theory proves true, the processes by which it would occur remains to be seen (divine intervention, anyone?).

When it reunites (if it does), it may very well be "placed" in the area shown below on OoT's Hyrule Map:

The above image is only one scenario which I consider; it's only one possibility in my "possibility pool (coined term?:P)." I had this hypothetical area on the map in mind under the popular assumption that the establishment of the Royal Family will take place in SS. Make note of the location...

Another placement for a reunited Skyloft I consider is:

In the above image I include Lon Lon Ranch and Hyrule Field itself. The reason for my actions is that these locations are not only close to Hyrule Castle/Town, but also both appear calm and docile by comparison (to the surrounding locations) when one notes the lack of enemy activity in Child Link's Hyrule, as much of Skyloft and its various satellite islands are purported to be.

These areas are only two which I consider, as they are the strongest in my pool of the probable locations I've considered. I'm open, as always, to other locations in which the reunited Skyloft (and its satellite islands) could be placed, but my two strongest will have to suffice for now.

Concerning The City in the Sky: One of the theories I have around it includes the idea that it may be a remnant of the old Skyloft, which hypothetically is, by Twilight Princess's time period, well-reunified with Hyrule. From this theory off-shot the idea that The CitS was once an area of Skyloft or its satellite islands that was cursed and/or tainted by darkness(?), and outcasted and/or forbidden, and therefore excluded from reunification with the land below (Hyrule). I don't have much at this point to support this idea, however. Another theory is that it might be a floating ship-like continent (aah, Tales of Legendia :rolleyes:).

Just something I forgot to mention: Maybe (some of?) the various satellite islands in the sky reunite with Hyrule to the areas of Kakariko, Kokiri Forest, etc.? Wow...the world below in Skyward Sword might very well have an abundance of craters!
Original map (if it helps any)
View attachment 13739

When I composed this theory in that old thread, I was under the assumption that Skyloft would reunite with Hyrule at some point following the events of SS. More recently, I have started to believe that the City in the Sky has some connection to the Ancient Robots. Upon this thought, Scrapper (the robot) came to mind, but I am not suggesting that he alone may have played apart in building it. Part of my most recent thoughts on this came from the design of the City in the Sky; I just could not seem to remotely match its architecture to any other locale in the series. There's not much in common besides the fact that they are both in the sky amid the clouds - excluding the time span between SS and TP. As such, an interesting contrast to consider is the propellers that seem to [at least partially?] keep the CitS afloat, while Skyloft is magically suspended in mid-air. Hmm... Propellers...Ancient Robots? I admit that it is a bit far-fetched, but given what I have to work with...this is best I can do at this point.

We do not see where they are flying to/from, however. They are a flying people, so perhaps they are scouting out the land. Simply seeing them flying up and flying down from above cannot prove Skyloft is still up there. That's not even my argument, however. Maybe it is slowly descending.

That's assuming a lot. That's assuming that Zelda is omniscient. How is she to know if Skyloft is descending or has descended? Also, Skyloft probably would remain called "Skyloft" despite the fact that it is no longer aloft, for a bit, probably. However, I will concede that it would appear that Zelda is under the impression that Skyloft is still aloft and that there's a choice to be made between up and down. She's not omniscient, however. And I also think that her putting that choice to Link is really just Nintendo's way of playing with the romance a bit.

RE: why you're so focused on Skyloft being the City in the Sky when there are plenty of other islands up there.

What does how populated they are have to do with anything? Assuming Skyloft is still up there by TP and all Skyloftians had deserted Skyloft for Hyrule, what would it matter? The Oocca would have to have completely torn down and rebuilt the buildings since the architecture isn't even slightly similar. Or they could have built from scratch on a collection of smaller islands.

Which is my main point.

Skyloft is one HUGE island. City in the Sky is a collection of many smaller islands. Assuming that they are the same place asks that something happened to Skyloft to break it into many smaller islands. And then that the Oocca had all of the buildings were taken down. And then that the Oocca had new buildings built. That's asking a lot. It's much simpler to belive that Skyloft, having fulfilled its purpose, returned to whatever crater it was ripped out of, and that the Oocca built their City in the Sky on a collection of smaller islands.

Otherwise, explain:
1) Where in OoT geography is this gigantic crater in the center of the land?
2) What caused Skyloft to break into many smaller islands?
3) If the Skyloftians are the ones who built the more modern buildings, where did they all go by TP time? Why haven't we heard of them up there in OoT time?

Yet that's exactly what you must believe because that is what is stated, unequivocally, in TP.

You cannot ask me to believe that when Nintendo created TP they had Skyloft already in mind down to the detail of the diving platforms.

Zelda by the end of SS IS a goddess still... She got her soul back when Demise was defeated and so she still has the memories and some ability of the goddess. And also... It's just stupid to argue the reason she asked the question. She asked it because apparently Skyloft is still afloat and she wants to stay on the surface while the others are flying back up to Skyloft for one reason or another. She doesn't even have to be omniscient... She can be told by Cawlin or Stritch or even see it for herself now that the Cloud Barrier has gone.

Population of a city has a fair bit to do with it, it wouldn't have been called the City in the Sky if it had a lone inhabitant that lived in a cottage before would it? Now, there are at least several hundred years between times of OoT and SS alone, much less TP and SS so architecture can and will change. Look at buildings that we lived in when America was founded, cottages at the first... Now what do we live in? And that's not even a 300 year difference... Over a large period of time architecture WILL change and it's not such a large change from what we saw to begin with. Just stone really. Also... Skyloft was a collection of smaller islands attached to a big one... Remember the waterfall island? the small island with the goddess chest on it, the small island leading up to the waterfall, the small island attached to the island by the boardwalks under the big island? Skyloft WAS a collection of smaller islands...

IT IS NOT stated equivocally that the Oocca built the City in the Sky, it stated that they lived there. Even then, this was all said from speculation from even the greatest scholars in Hyrule at the time. The reason people forgot? probably the Civil War that occurred when everyone was trying to get the Triforce. If you want to get rid of history, a war is a great way to do it. Libraries burn, knowledge ceases to exist due to death and selfishness, and any number of horrible things that happen during wartime. So no... it was not stated as fact. It was stated as speculation even by the guy who said it.

One thing I'd like to point out about TP however, is one very important little easter egg. Whenever you go to Frostpeak Ruins and look at all the pictures, you can never tell who lives there, but there are a few pictures that are somewhat clear. One is a picture of Ordon goats, and another... is a picture of the City in the Sky whenever you first land in the pool and look towards the main building. The archway is in the picture as well as the outline for the main building. This tells me that whoever occupied this house before it was abandoned, knew about, AND HAD BEEN to the City in the Sky. So apparently at least one person was able to travel there before. Now there's no telling how old the ruins are, but it's still something to consider.

And finally... They've been working on SS for 5 years right? and TP came out when? 5 years ago? It's very possible that they took things from one game at it's final and decided to link them together somehow, even with details, quite easily to one who's production is just starting. Did they not have the time before TP came out to see their details there and use them as well in future ideas?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Diving platforms can't be used as story evidence... They were added simply because of the necessity of the gameplay.

But once the goal became clear—that Link jumps down from there, whistles, and Loftwing swoops in, and he can go all sorts of places—I thought, "Then we need places for him to jump from," and prepared jump-off spots here and there around Skyloft so it would be easy to jump down.
Hanako Hisada, Field Design, Sky/Skyloft

Population of a city has a fair bit to do with it, it wouldn't have been called the City in the Sky if it had a lone inhabitant that lived in a cottage before would it? Now, there are at least several hundred years between times of OoT and SS alone, much less TP and SS so architecture can and will change.
But my point is HOW can it change with no one living there? Look, Hyrule is completely depopulated by humans/Hylians. If the majority of them leave Skyloft (assuming it's still up there, but we can debate that for an eternity) for Hyrule, who exactly is going to be this thriving population up there in the sky? If your argument is that a handful of people stayed up there and repopulated Skyloft after all those years and in so doing, dramatically remodeled the whole place... where did they go by TP time? There is NOTHING to accommodate humanoid forms in the City in the Sky by TP time, so it would have to have been abandoned by humans long, long before TP. When? And why?

Also... Skyloft was a collection of smaller islands attached to a big one... Remember the waterfall island? the small island with the goddess chest on it, the small island leading up to the waterfall, the small island attached to the island by the boardwalks under the big island? Skyloft WAS a collection of smaller islands...
No, you're not understanding me. My point is that part of what Skyloft consists of is ONE HUGE ISLAND. There is no such island in the City in the Sky. It's all just a bunch of small islands. Where's the huge main island of Skyloft?

But my point is HOW can it change with no one living there? Look, Hyrule is completely depopulated by humans/Hylians. If the majority of them leave Skyloft (assuming it's still up there, but we can debate that for an eternity) for Hyrule, who exactly is going to be this thriving population up there in the sky? If your argument is that a handful of people stayed up there and repopulated Skyloft after all those years and in so doing, dramatically remodeled the whole place... where did they go by TP time? There is NOTHING to accommodate humanoid forms in the City in the Sky by TP time, so it would have to have been abandoned by humans long, long before TP. When? And why?

No, you're not understanding me. My point is that part of what Skyloft consists of is ONE HUGE ISLAND. There is no such island in the City in the Sky. It's all just a bunch of small islands. Where's the huge main island of Skyloft?

That would obviously be the main building that we enter upon first arriving at the City in the Sky, or just simply the largest island there. There are plenty of larger areas that could be the main island of Skyloft. Remember, the artstyles between SS and TP. TP wanted everything to be huge, and so it was. SS didn't focus on the largeness aspect that TP did so size differences will be apparent in the games so one must keep that in mind as well.

In TP time, 100s of years after SS, it's quite possible for a population to build, thrive and then finally retreat. Let's not even go from SS to TP, but to OoT at the furthest. Right after SS it's safe to assume that they'd be traveling back and forth from the surface to Skyloft for materials, companionship, and a place to sleep until they got some form of habitation built on the surface. Now surely while some were building on the surface, there were going to be those that are also advancing Skyloft. If you should've learned anything at all from school and people is that the only permanence is change and that people hate change, but when it comes to technology people graciously accept it. Looking at the history of America alone, a country that's not even 300 years old mind you, and look at the progression we've made from living in cottages made of logs to skyscrapers made of metal and glass. Now in a magical society, with a little already technological robot to help them build, it's not too farfetched that over a period of several hundred years, we could get a drastically different architecture from what we see in TP.

So, using what we can from reality and putting it into the game, it's easy to see how architecture can change so drastically over a short period of time and yet still be time between SS and OoT for Skyloft to start fading from memory. Combine the passed time on the surface and the civil war, which surely would have instances of destruction of knowledge, whether it be intentional or not, and that's how Skyloft would be forgotten by the surface people by the majority. Perhaps a few would know, but even then they wouldn't have strong evidence and it would be just word of mouth until someone wrote it down again.

As for why and when it was abandoned, well there's nothing to indicate anything specifically, but it is apparent that it did. There are plenty of monsters in the City so perhaps it became overrun and people had no choice but to go. And of course there's not going to be anything to accommodate humans by the time we get there in TP, considering that degradation and abandonment of the city had already occurred, but in honesty, I really didn't see anything to accommodate the Oocca either. They were kind of just there. Also remember that, if even for a short while, there was a dragon rampaging around and destroying the city, which you add a massive destructive beast into the mix and there's no telling what the place would have looked like before hand.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
At the end of Skyward Sword Zelda says to link:
Look around us! As a child, I always dreamed of a world below, I wanted to see the surface with my own eyes and feel the land's warmth on my skin. I thin... I think I want to live here. I always want to feel solid ground beneath my feet, see the clouds above my head, and Watch over the Triforce.

She then asks Link what does he think. It is also supported by the fact that; Gaepora, Cawlin, Stritch and Groose are now on the Goddess Statue in the Sealed grounds so perhaps, (speculation) they all begin to depart from Skyloft and live in the Land below under the protection of the Triforce (and Link/ Zelda) So perhaps the Loftwings become obsolete to them and return the sky where they evovle into the Ooca....
オーカは とても へんですね。:dry:

That is my theory anyway.

Also:

So, using what we can from reality and putting it into the game, it's easy to see how architecture can change so drastically over a short period of time and yet still be time between SS and OoT for Skyloft to start fading from memory.
Preach Brother... If something isn't written down it easily becomes obscure and if something is orally passed on then it becomes a long game of Chinese Whispers.

The fact that in TP you needed to use the combination of the Claw Shot and the Sky Cannon to get to The City in the Sky probably confirms the fact that the Loftwings either died out or maybe even evolved (assuming The CitS is Skyloft) not to mention Impaz in TP states to link that;
The Dominion Rod is ment for the Messenger to/for the Heavens
and she believes it is Link, so when the Ooca still maintained contact with the Royal Family perhaps assuming that the Loftwings did evolve and or Link (after the events of Demise) new that they would one day need a future hero would need to contact the 'sky' again he hid away the claw shots in the Lake Bed Temple for the future hero to find as he may have seen the Loftwings die out.

That is just speculation of course.

Last edited:
A

Alishia

To be fair about the Occoo evolving from humanoid creatures, if the standard Split Timeline Theory is to be accepted (which isn't necessarily the case, I debate it a little myself) it has been hundreds, if not thousands of years in between SS and TP. With no monsters to threat them (except evil cats at night, which you just have to beat to have them leave you alone), the Skyloftians could have started getting shorter and shorter. If Loftwings started to go extinct (which is possible) then the people could have begun to develop wings to travel to the other islands. The World Above is not JUST Skyloft, there are dozens of other small islands and landmasses that there.
From images I have seen of both Skyloft and the City in the Sky, they look similar. CitS might be a more advanced and developed version of Skyloft, and if the City is no longer floating properly, the advanced race from Skyloft, whether humanoid or Occoo, may have developed the propellers to keep the land in the air.

These are just theories I have based on evolution theories about real-world living creatures, and my limited knowledge of the world of Zelda.

I always just though it was one of the other (And Un-venerable) Populated Islands in the sky.

It's not like Skyloft is the only one. There has to be more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom