• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skip Tutorial/guide?

jugglaj91

I am me....
I was just thinking about how in the beginning of most games there is a bit of a tutorial to get you used to the mechanics. What about a way to turn them off? What I mean is I was reading a post in another thread about Navi being helpful and I thought to myself "Yes she was, when I first started," and now I am annoyed because of how often she yells for my attention even though I know what she is going to say.

So what I think Nintendo should do is allow the gamer to turn off such tutorials at their will so if they have played the game they do not have to endure 20 minutes or more of the sidekick or guide telling them to "watch the action button." I have seen this done in other games and it asks to skip this part or go through it. That could work as well so you can brush up on something you may have forgotten and skip the things you know fairly well.

Since this idea originated from Zelda this could probably be moved to General Discussion, although the Zelda franchise is the series I feel could most benefit from this idea.

great point. i hate how when you start a game (no matter what game) theres always something or someone telling oyu what to do. I would much rather figure it out on my own! you know? ugh.

I have been hoping for this feature since 1999. :D The help and guidance is great in your first couple of plays, but by the time you've beaten it 30 times and just wanna mess around and have fun - ugh.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Personally, I don't mind the tutorial levels much... often they build up a good little picture of how that game world functions, and add that little connection that helps you get into the game, helps explain how the character knows what to do etc, and it's often still pretty useful on replays. I agree it sometimes does become pretty tedious... I thought TP's 3-ingame-days-worth of tutorial was overdoing it a little, but eh, it provided a good emotional build up for what was to come, so I'm not complaining. Tutorial levels often do that. I'd also point out the Navi "tutorial" in OoT only lasts the length of the first dungeon at most, not the entire game. She (mercifully) shuts up after a while, lol XD

Anyway, the feasibility of whether the tutorial should be skippable or not depends on how the tutorial's been implemented... in some games, where it's a straight up "This button does this, that button does that... have a go! Good, now remember to do it while playing." it'd be pretty easy for the developers to just include an "off" switch for it without any repercussions. The problem, and the reason why many games still don't allow you to skip past this tutorial is because many designers have tried to implement it as part of the story or part of one of the levels, so it could get problematic if they tried to add the option to skip it. Imagine having whole cutscenes missing, or worse, jittery dialogue with half the lines randomly taken out because they include prompts relating to the tutorial actions... it'd be difficult to cut it cleanly out. Or imagine how confusing it could get if later on the characters start referencing something that technically never happened because it was part of the "tutorial" level you skipped... in cases where the story tightly wound around the tutorial level, it's a minefield of problems... you could end up missing whole chunks of the story while replaying. Hence why most developers just don't attempt it.

Retsdob

Retsdob
I think that it should be an option to opt out of the tutorial after you've beaten it once. The tutorial should be before anything actually important in the story so there aren't any cut scenes, but make it a mechanic thing such as a trial that all boys go through or something like that so we don't mess up the flow. And of course, skipping it isn't an option the first time through.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Well see the thing is that once you have beaten it you wouldn't need the story. I am not saying to skip from the beginning but in games in which we have played many times and know it would be nice to have the option to skip some of the dialogue or "training" as it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom