• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Singing in Public.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
This is something that popped into my head this evening because of what I do.

I ride my bike a lot. It's fun and helps me release stress when I need to release some. I usually do it while listening to music cause it's nice to listen to music when I ride. Well, when I listen to music, I find it hard not to sing along. It's a thing that I can't get over cause it's just so fun. I know that sounds weird, but it's what I enjoy. Anyway, when I sing while riding my bike it's in public, and usually I don't censor my vocals, and I sing the way the artist sings. That means if it's death metal or screamo or something like that, I will scream along with the vocals since it's a talent I posses.

So I was wondering whether anyone else sang in pubic, and if so...

Do you sing loud enough for others to hear you?
Do you censor the lyrics if they are on more mature subject matters or have socially unacceptable language in them?
Do you bother people when you sing?
How do you sing (ie. sing, scream, or both)?

bunny

birb overlord

Nope. Unless I'm supposed to for a school play or some other reason. I usually get embarrassed if people hear me. That's why I only sing in plays if I am forced to.

Do you censor the lyrics if they are on more mature subject matters or have socially unacceptable language in them?

I wouldn't be singing the song at all if it had something like that in it.

I don't think so... My friends, who have heard my singing, tell me that I have a pretty voice. I still get embarrassed, though. I've been in a choir a few times, so I've had a few singing lessons. Maybe that's why... I dunno.

Errr... I don't scream. I... sing? xD

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
DH said:

GOD NO!
No.
I don't sing.
I mouth the words.

I sound like a dying cow when I sing... :kawaii:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Sometimes I sing along with songs I'm listening to, and every once in a while from memory. I almost never sing loud enough for people to hear me - I'll stop or switch to whistling or humming if I get near other people. I never censor the lyrics (unless you consider forgetting or not knowing a few words or lines 'censoring') because I don't listen to that kind of music. I don't know if I bother people when I sing. Except my sister, though I never sing around her. She's bothered if I hum or have my headphones loud enough that she can hear it... Your last question doesn't make sense to me... I sing (quietly), of course; screaming isn't singing!

Much more often, I hum or lightly whistle. Partly because that's less embarrassing and partly because I don't know all the lyrics to the songs I listen to, and most don't even have lyrics. Although my singing is probably terrible (I don't show it off so I don't get any feedback), I'm told I'm a good whistler.

I think I'm only moved to sing with certain songs, those whose lyrics have special meaning to me or which I find particularly touching. A few Enya songs, a few Hitomi songs (those with English lyrics), a few Newsboys songs... Otherwise I don't go beyond whistling, humming, or pretending I'm playing Rock Band (air-guitaring/drumming/keyboarding).

I mouth the words.
Ah, yes, I do that a lot as well, especially in quiet places where other people are nearby.

octorok74

TETTAC
I sing fairly frequently. And it is always when I play on XBL. Yes, people can hear me and yes I have gotten people who enjoy it. If there is some explicit lyrics I will censor it myself. And I sing. I don't scream or mouth, I sing.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I don't typically sing in public, except for on occasion. When I do, I typically try to keep it down (not for the sake of embarassment, but rather bothering others), but sometimes I don't really hold back but that's because I know nobody's really around and I don't really care all that much.
When I do sing, I'm not sure if it really bothers people, because there's never really anyone around when I do. Not very many people have actually heard me sing, honestly.
If there is any real form of profanity in a song, I typically either mouth the profanity only while singing the rest, or just find a substiute that doesn't make me sound like a moron. If a song's miserably profane, I just avoid singing them at all because I'd be going too far out of my way.
If there's a song with screams in it, I typically do a sort of pseudo-scream where I make my voice sound like I'm screaming but a lot quieter (because I, sadly, cannot scream... but I really wish I could).

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day

1. If they're near me, they'll hear me. So I guess yes. Though I always try to sing quietly.
2. Yes. I censor whenever I curse (not often), unless I'm legitimately upset.
3. Not that anyone has ever said to me. I haven't heard any snarky comments. The people who have heard me enough say I sing rather well though I don't agree.
4. I sing usually to whatever the mood of the song is. Or I possibly make it a little more somber/depressed/ethereal.

Ganondork

goo
All the time. My classmates ask me to sing in the middle of class. Not because I'm talented, but because I tend to know parts of songs that apply to just about every situation. I'm well-known for Rick-Rolling new students, and even in projects that require to list songs. I have an upcoming one where I need to make a soundtrack for The Odyssey, and I'm Rick-Rolling the entire class.

As far as other places go, I sure do. I love to sing. I'll sing until my vocal chords hurt. I'll sing until I go into a coughing fit. I honestly don't care. If someone complains about the song, I'll switch genre. I'm used to the, "You're white; stop singing rap," group, and I'm used to the, "Rock is a terrible genre," group. I accommodate to the people around me.

Did I mention I do all of this off the top of my head? I don't have an iPod that I bring out in public, because my current one lacks most of the songs I like. I lost all of my iTunes data, and I'm waiting to get an iTouch before I do all of this junk again. I'm expecting to get one this Christmas, so I'll be able to give everyone a few-hundred song concert.

Naturally I do all of this fun stuff loud enough for others to hear it; I usually do it to entertain others after all. So of course, I usually sing like the artist does. When in private, I sing in my usual voice. Thing is, I sing in private twice as much as I do in public. I also recite things - Assassin's Creed quotes, different words when working on an accent, etc. - in private.

I only censor myself when I'm in the car with my mom. I don't think I want her knowing what Bands A Make Her Dance is actually about. It's better that way. However, around my friends and classmates, I really don't care. I'll sing whatever, and the songs are usually riddled with explicit content. We're in high school; I think everyone has heard curse words before at this point. While some would argue that doesn't make it right, nobody ever complains.

Sure, some people complain about the fact that I sing, but I usually have people backing me up. I run sort of a monopoly in my first, third, and fifth periods; just about everyone listens when I speak, and few ever go against what I say. I was sort of passive with my classroom singing initially, but once the teachers started leaving the room, the class got out of hand anyway.

I really love singing. I may not be X-Factor material, but I'm not the least bit tone deaf. I do it to entertain, and I have a good time while doing it. I sing in public, and frankly, I'm proud of it.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
GOD NO!
No.
I don't sing.
I mouth the words.

I sound like a dying cow when I sing... :kawaii:

^ This is me too. I suck at singing. I never sing in front of people, unless I'm just with my friends. When I'm with friends, I'm not embarrassed to look like a complete tool. :P

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
I sometimes sing in public. In class, my friends always beg me to sing although I don't want too (I don't understand, my voice sounds weird when I sing yet my friends like it. ._.).
I sometimes do it because it will annoy some people in public so I hum rather than sing.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Yes, because I love to secretly observe other people's reaction (plus it's fun). I think most people are just so afraid of drawing attention to themselves, so I feel it's important to plant the seed of thought that maybe, if you just don't care about people's reactions (or like me, secretly thrive on them - good or bad) you get the chance to be truly free :)

Not really, I mean, if there are kids around old enough to understand, but maybe too young to be exposed to it (I mostly sing in English and kids don't start learning English around here until they are about 9) I will pick other songs to sing :P

No idea, but I avoid singing within enclosed spaces (buses, stores, etc) to be polite - however if I'm outside, doesn't matter if it's crowded or barely any souls around, if the song is right, I belt it out ;)

Sing, normal voice, tho if I feel more enthusiastic I may up the volume a little ;) :P

vengenz

Sheikah Warrior
This is something that popped into my head this evening because of what I do.

I ride my bike a lot. It's fun and helps me release stress when I need to release some. I usually do it while listening to music cause it's nice to listen to music when I ride. Well, when I listen to music, I find it hard not to sing along. It's a thing that I can't get over cause it's just so fun. I know that sounds weird, but it's what I enjoy. Anyway, when I sing while riding my bike it's in public, and usually I don't censor my vocals, and I sing the way the artist sings. That means if it's death metal or screamo or something like that, I will scream along with the vocals since it's a talent I posses.

So I was wondering whether anyone else sang in pubic, and if so...

I do! When doing cardio, running, or just blasting music in my room (public since my family is home and i dont care lol)
I don't bother sensoring lyrics.
I listen to metal/metalcore/rock so I will damn sure be rocking out to Pantera or something awesome :D

I got banned at my mall for singing out in public and make money for it .-.

But yeah, singing is a fun thing to do in my part time when I'm extremely bored and stuff, it passed time, especially in the shower (:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom