• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Silent Link = Bad Character?

I'd be fine with voice acting, but I'm also fine with a silent Link. They did a tremendously great job conveying Link's emotions in Skyward Sword.

I love how Link's a silent character.
In all RP games, the character's silent because if they speak, you might completely disagree with that and it'll just be stuffing the words in your mouth. I love how Link's programming gives him all of these emotions and motions to convey, like in Skyward Sword, how he has this totally heartbroken look when Zelda asks him to wake her up. It just made me die.
The ability to choose what the character says is the main expectation of an RP game. If the character's walking and talking without you doing it, then it feels like you're not really in their role.

i think it really depends if you like to be the character it just play the character(if you understand what im saying) whether you would like link talking or not. but i dont really think link needs to talk his body language tell all you need to know. i personally wouldn't care as long as they didn't make him like link from the cartoon.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Yea, the silence part is one of the best things about Zelda, I really hope they wont bring voice-acting into Zelda, but if they do I really hope that at least Link will stay silent.

I think it is best if he stays silent for sure. Thats one of the many charms of the zelda series. Hopefully it is not gonna get ruined!

His silence let's you almost be Link. The game is made that way so that you as the player can fill in the gaps of speech and maybe a few emotions. You can still see what Links thought process is and what drives him, yet you have to admit that you have spoken for Link while playing the games... Right?

ZeldaAllDay

Fierce Deity
It adds to the game keeping him silent, and they do a really good job with it. In my opinion a silent character isnt bad at all.

Link is just one of the silent sweet ones, not much to say, but is constantly impressing people with music capabilities, battle skills, and just all around skillz. Would your friend rather he be one of those loud people who is always talking and won't let others get a word in, and unrealistically cracking dumb jokes at the villains he's fighing? Nah...I prefer the quiet Link;)

I think that the fact that Link does not talk makes the character bad. The facial expressions let us know what Link is thinking and such. I wouldn't mind though if the other characters in Zelda were given voices.

TheWakerofWinds

Beat Minish Cap *___*
I think Link is better off without a voice. Because he's supposed to be YOU. And what character and voice are we supposed to give him anyway? We have a general idea of Link's character; kind, brave, determined, lazy, etc, but to assign a voice would have to greatly expand his character, and there's no way to please everyone. Link's character could be the base breaker [whether people love it or not], and to be frank, I don't want to see that debate all over the internet. So no, I dont think that Link should be given a voice. It's too much of a risk for the game itself.

I actually believe the complete opposite. It's because Link doesn't speak which makes his character bolder and more realistic. You can really tell with his facial expressions and body language. It gives a closeness between Link and the player which I love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom