• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Silent Link = Bad Character?

Starleap

Canadian Girl
Link is perfectly fine the way he is. The way you can mold him into a character you can love an enjoy playing as. The best part is when you scream at the screen like you're actually in the game(don't judge me!). Trust me, I can only get into games that seriously when I love it to death! Portal's protagonist(Chell) and in Halo Reach/ODST do this as well, but that's because your character is almost always silent.

But anyway, it doesn't take words to express what's inside. It takes only a link to connect words, actions, and thoughts.

A silent protagonist is fine as long as the npcs do the talking for the protagonist and the protagonist shows much emotion. If there's no npcs to do the talking the developers would have to make the character talk. Zelda has enough npcs to do the talking and Link shows emotion in all zelda games but the first two.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
By not defining Link with a voice, they make it easier to get along with him. You can still understand perfectky well what he is thinking without having him say it. By not making Link have a voice, they make him the easiest character to become while playing the game. Nintendo would ruin the series the second they gave him a voice because people wouldnt be able to become him.

The fact that he's silent makes him more likable. Too much dialogue gets in the way of the fact that you want to just play the game. Actions speak louder than words, and we always know how Link feels about something. We can see it, not to mention we're feeling it, too.
Besides, it's just become so classic a trait of his, that I would hate it if they were to change it. As it stands, I don't like the fact that OoT Link talks in TP...

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
Link is fine even though he can't speak. We can still see his emotions and hiw he reacts to things. Being silent just adds to his awesomeness and allows us to fill his silence with whatever we want.

A character doesn't have to speak to be a good character. I think they do a great job on showing how he feels by just his body language and facial expressions. If he were to speak, I'd feel less connected to him.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
That Link is mute makes him a better character, simply because there is more imagination from the player as to what he is saying. In no other game is the main character called Link. And he's called Link for a reason. It's the player's avatar in the virtual world. When I play as Link, I decide what he says. When you play as Link, the script is in your hands. That is what allows such a connection between him and the player. He only ever does things that are so general, everybody thinks of doing it.

Not at all. Your friends probably likes Skyrim.. The character there dont speak too. But Link has a good personality! He is so much more funny when he is silent. And it is not cool if he could talk, then no one could make Zelda parodies with "dissing" that. I love that he is silent. I want it to remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom