• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Signatures of True Beauty

Kybyrian

Yeah, it's one of the tutorials I found at PR. Thought it would be pretty cool to try along with a few others. A bit different from what I'm use to but I liked it. Don't usually work with stock images.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hyxmrwyxgzj

You have to download the tut.

Here are some new ones that I made.

Entry for the GCC.

Messing around with C4Ds and stuff again.

I started using fractals. This is my first sig experimenting with them. 2 C4Ds and 2 fractals. Turned out very nice.

Kybyrian

How do you get your borders like that? Overlay?

For the Monster one (top of my most recent post) I cut out the edge of the sig that is the border onto a new layer and set it to Linear Burn with a soft black dot overlay.

For the bottom two in the post before that I stroked with alternating black & white (white in the middle of two 1px black lines) on the edge and set it to overlay/soft light.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
See, I told you. I've been saying it all along. Before when you made sigs, they were piles of crap. Now you got Photoshop and these are excellent. This furthers my argument that Photoshop automatically makes people better at graphic design.

See, I told you. I've been saying it all along. Before when you made sigs, they were piles of crap. Now you got Photoshop and these are excellent. This furthers my argument that Photoshop automatically makes people better at graphic design.

I think a more appropriate comment would be "...that Photoshop can help people to make better graphics."

And this has nothing to do with Kybyrian - his sigs designs are awesome :)

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
The point is still there. There's some kind of magical force behind it that just allows people to produce quality pieces.

The point is still there. There's some kind of magical force behind it that just allows people to produce quality pieces.

That would be like saying anyone with a paintbrush could paint like Michelangelo. Paintbrushes don't automatically make someone a painter any more than Photoshop makes someone a graphic designer. It's just software; a person still has to posses some talent and at least a modicum of design sense to use it.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
No sir. Let's use Ky as an example here, since we're jacking his thread. He used to make signature images in gimp, which honestly, is not so great, and they always ended up looking... not good. That is because gimp lacks the luxury features that Photoshop has. Sure, great work can be done with gimp, but it sure isn't easy, or worth the time. What I'm saying is, that Photoshop is so rich, that it allows you to become advanced at a very quick pace. Which in layman's terms, means some magic force.

How old did you say you were? 52, was it? I'm 20. Of course we're going to have different opinions. Now let us end this here before it becomes heated.

Thread, you may resume your original purpose.

Kybyrian

It does, really. Photoshop provides easy-to-use tools, menus, and some features that are not available in programs such as GIMP. Photoshop is very organized and easy to get used to. With a program like GIMP you have to do a lot of studying to learn how the program works. A program like GIMP can make signatures that are just as good as ones in Photoshop, but Photoshop is a lot more luxurious and definitely has an advantage over GIMP. I also believe that Photoshop does some things better, such as the layer modes and various filters. It's very convenient having a lot of options lying out in front of you for your easy use. You can locate and do what you want very easily, and all it takes is a bit of practice until you get familiar with things.

I will confess that my GIMP signatures would have been a lot better if I would have used some effects, though. I was a complete noob at any sort of graphic design. I didn't use filters, brushes, layer modes, etc. at all. This is mainly because I didn't even know where to find such things with GIMP being so confusing. GIMP is a good program, just not as user-friendly or well-designed as Photoshop.

David

But you called me here...
Wow. You got an actual request, Kyby. Congratulations are in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom