• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Side-scrolling or Running Dungeon Idea

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I've been having an idea that is familiar with some side-scrolling games that make you run from something. Kinda like in DKCR when you have to run from a zillion spiders: [video=youtube;RpdE29Xy-hE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpdE29Xy-hE[/video]

Anyways, I was thinking of an idea for a dungeon like that, and it would have Link run from a large (not too fast but still lumbering towards our hero) monster. And throughout the run you have to use think on conserving strength. This could be an interesting function for this run, like some parts you have to run as fast as you can, and others, there could be a large wall but conveniently grassy with vines. This could add some challenge, as you have to think about your strength. Another idea could be when you're running, fast puzzles can be activated by using your sword. Also, a rapid water current can be in your way sometimes. And the occasional archer enemies fire at you. The running level could kinda look a little like this early Twilight Princess photo: zeldatpbeta05.jpg But instead of a cave (and a freakishly large fast spider) , the dungeon could transition from small caverns and open-air places.

So, would you want a runner stage? This could add some variety to the different dungeons.
Tell me what you think! :-D

Also, btw, the runner stage would be still in a 3d environment, not like a 2d platformer, just thought i'd add that.

I do recall that you have to run from the Rocktite from Spirit Tracks, though that one was mainly hitting the eye before the Rocktite gets you.
Btw, that Donkey Kong Country Video was really funny.

Last edited:

Nicole

luke is my wife
I would rather not see this. My first reason... well, it is so much harder to judge your jumps in a side-scroller fashion. Then again, Link pretty much jumps on his own, but...

The Wii-Motion Plus mechanics might not allow for this, anyway. I actually just don't want to see it. I really don't like sidescrollers, because they feel so awkward to me. As I mentioned before, they often hinder your movement in some way. I understand that we want some new things, but I feel going back to a side-scroller isn't the answer.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would rather not see this. My first reason... well, it is so much harder to judge your jumps in a side-scroller fashion. Then again, Link pretty much jumps on his own, but...

The Wii-Motion Plus mechanics might not allow for this, anyway. I actually just don't want to see it. I really don't like sidescrollers, because they feel so awkward to me. As I mentioned before, they often hinder your movement in some way. I understand that we want some new things, but I feel going back to a side-scroller isn't the answer.

Well, there's two sides to everything. You bring up some valid points there. Especially when you mentioned judging your jumps.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I kinda don't want to see side-scolling segments, I think that anything level based in SS might make it too linear. I would rather just have a huge overworld were I can explore.

P.S Hey Azure sage, noob forum question, but how do you get more reputation hearts?

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I think some of you are mistaking this to look like a 2d side scroller, what I meant by that phrase, I mean that sometimes in those types of games, you have to run from something. I am saying that, that function, running from something, but still be in full 3d control.

Ganondork

goo
It seems interesting, but just not something that is Zelda. That is a more sonic/donkey kong type of a thing. It's kinda like having Link talk; it's unheard of. Don't get me wrong, I do love the idea. Imagine that, running from one of the usual baddies that Link would face. But what happens if his sword is flung far away by this lumbering brute? Well our hero can't just let Ganon's minions take it... GO LINK!

I think some of you are mistaking this to look like a 2d side scroller, what I meant by that phrase, I mean that sometimes in those types of games, you have to run from something. I am saying that, that function, running from something, but still be in full 3d control.

oh, ok, well as I said, deleting the side scrolling part, it would be fun, and I like it to be in a "field" I mean, an exterior area, but still narrow,

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom