• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Siblings and game systems

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Kids have to share game consoles. It can be pretty annoying if they're both possessive over it but that's just how it goes since parents can't typically buy the same game consoles for all their kids. So how was it for you growing up w/ video games and siblings? Did you fight a lot w/ your sibling(s) over who gets to play? Were you able to play nicely and share game time? Or heck were you lucky in that your sibling(s) weren't into games as much as you were?

I didn't have too much issues on that w/ my older brother since he had a PS2 and I had a gamecube. I could only use his PS2 when he wasn't around and I don't remember him wanting to use my gamecube too much. I did borrow his PSP a lot though and I reckon that might've gotten on his nerves. No it wasn't until my younger brother was a toddler that things got complicated. He always wanted to use my wii and I always wanted to be left alone, my mother did not handle that too well and made me let him play. That definitely sucked. It was different w/ my older brother b/c he wasn't all that interested in Nintendo anymore, but of course my younger brother was as I was still, so there were definitely arguments over letting him play. I'm 8 years older than him so I guess that got kinda rocky, but that's just how it goes. How about you guys?

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Never had this issue, mainly because my siblings were old enough that they weren't forced to share with their younger siblings. My oldest brother had the NES, Sega Genesis, N64, Gamecube, and Xbox and my 2nd oldest brother had a Playstation and PS2.

While we did often play the various consoles together, or even got to use them when they weren't playing, I never felt entitled to them because they weren't mine. Though, my 2nd oldest did let me have his Playstation and then took it back to be an asshole when I wasn't listening to him, so my oldest brother gave me his N64 instead, which I still own til this day.

I prominently gamed on handhelds and didn't get my first console until Christmas of 2004, being the Gamecube, which was the first time I ever had to share a console with someone. However, it wasn't too bad as I had been gaming a lot with my oldest brother at that point, and my sister rarely played games anyway, so I mostly had the Gamecube to myself as I was really the only one who consistently bought games for it and eventually, she just became okay with that fact that the Gamecube was practically mine.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
My and my beo were pretty cool biut gaming if he was playing a game id be watching offering tips and advice..

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I was growing up I shared the SNES, N64, and PS2 with my brother which was never really too much of an issue as I was more of a gamer than him and he'd just do other stuff most of the time anyways. My other two even younger brothers don't seem to have this issue as they have an Xbox One each (which I think was pretty redundant but that's what they wanted).

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I have a younger brother, and I'm quite thankful that our parents usually bought us separate handhelds, since both of my brother and I would play on our DS's and 3DS's a ton. When it came to consoles, we usually don't end up bickering too much, as one of us is usually too tired out at any given moment to want to play any singleplayer games.

Thanks to my brother. we're both pretty into fighting games, and we both are somewhat good at a few games thanks to the fact that we're each other's training partner. While we don't bicker too much, we do argue a bit on what games to play, since he likes playing SFV,Dragonball FighterZ, and MvC3, while I enjoy playing Skullgirls, Soul Calibur, and UNIST.

I was more of the gamer between me and my sister, so I usually had first dibs most of the time. But she didn't really seem to object to this because I was always like in charge of starting the system up and getting the games ready. Even now, she doesn't really seem confident in starting up the games we plan on playing, she just waits for me. So I'm usually player 1. We never really fought over games, as far as I remember. When games are single player only, we both enjoy watching the other play, regardless of the game--although it's harder to get my sister to play games solo now. umu

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Growing up, my sister was more interested in video games, and since we were young and didn't have a lot of games we'd sometimes squabble over playing time on the N64 and GBC. But as we grew older, we ended up with more consoles, so there wasn't as much of a need to fight for control to play video games. Eventually she lost interest in playing them by herself, so we didn't have any sort of issue anymore. Aside from the odd multiplayer game every now and then, my sister doesn't really play games anymore so, yeah, not a problem these days, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom