• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should Zelda U Be More Like Skyrim?

eh, I mean both series can learn a lot from each other, and I think that Zelda can benefit from having a big overworld, but like JucieJ said, make the overworld as rich as Far Cry 3.

Still going at it, I see....

Ripping off an aspect of another game series and sloppily pasting it to Zelda with glue is obviously going to create problems. What's more important is the idea behind those aspects. Could Zelda learn from some of Skyrim's ideas? Definitely, I think. Having a huge, open world is one. (The first Zelda game had that to some extent, but look how far off track it's gone.) Tons of optional/hidden dungeons and areas is another. From everything I've seen and heard, exploring Skyrim's vast world offered much new content and dungeons to conquer, increasing your knowledge of that world and granting you useful new items and abilities. Could Zelda use that idea to form a similar concept? Yes, and as Zelda is meant to be centered around exploration, that could be a selling point of the next game.

And as I believe Pancake Wizard said, using the "play Skyrim for Skyrim and Zelda for Zelda" argument isn't totally appropriate, either. Zelda has flaws, The Elder Scrolls has flaws, and perhaps those flaws could be solved by swapping ideas with one another. Incorporating new ideas may potentially bring up additional flaws, but failure to incorporate these ideas is to stagnate and die. I don't think it's entirely fair to suggest every new idea can't be honed to near-perfection. That suggestion comes off as a bit pessimistic to me. So long as you use the other franchise's idea smartly, no further flaws need to be born.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Emmm...nah. Would lose the charm Zelda has, and although I think I would like Skyrim, I think Zelda should stick for all ages.

Emmm...nah. Would lose the charm Zelda has, and although I think I would like Skyrim, I think Zelda should stick for all ages.

I think the idea was more borrowing some of Skyrim's successful concepts, not modifying Zelda to resemble The Elder Scrolls. I do agree with you that Zelda should keep its innocence and relative lightheartedness, as those story elements help define it in a market getting increasingly filled with M-rated games and dark stories.

Marzo

The Downward Spiral
No. If I want to play Skyrim, I'll play it. If I want to play Zelda, I want to play Zelda.

Scoby

France
god no, I hated skyrim. Bigger world? sure
same art style and combat as skyrim? no thank you

To the extent that I want more realistic environments, more RPG elements, and most importantly, MORE OPEN-WORLD EXPLORATION, yes. I kind of dislike how in Zelda games, your destiny is completely mapped out, you don't have any say in what happens, if you don't follow by the developer's track then you can't move on in the game. Whereas in Skyrim, you can kill the guy or marry the guy or whatever, you have freedom. Also, I want a ton of fun mini-dungeons, with maybe fewer large-scale dungeons, and more instance when you can't tell whether you're in a dungeon or in the overworld because it merges together, or when you're in a populated town that's also kind of a dungeon in itself...that kind of thing. Stray from the formula a little more. Skyward Sword promised to do that, but I think it was just as formulaic as any other Zelda.

Though I certainly don't want Zelda turning into Skyrim. Keep Zelda's childish, Disney/anime-ish feel in a more open world, and keep the puzzles in a less formulaic overworld-dungeon-overworld-dungeon format.
So basically, Zelda can indeed take a few hints from Skyrim.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I kind of dislike how in Zelda games, your destiny is completely mapped out, you don't have any say in what happens, if you don't follow by the developer's track then you can't move on in the game. Whereas in Skyrim, you can kill the guy or marry the guy or whatever, you have freedom.

Zelda isn't an RPG.

In some ways yes. I would like to maybe stray far away from the main story line for maybe a few hours, not just some doopy little side quest where you collect stuff.
Also the graphics would be a pipe dream, if anything yes I would love a Zelda game to adopt realistic graphics and environments but it just won't happen.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think both games are great in thier own ways!

I play Zelda for its charm, epic story, soundtrack and Gameplay! I play Skyrim for its huge open world, vast content and great visuals Oh and the occasional Dragon :)

There is no doubt that combining the two would really make an epic game but I think I like the series of Zelda and the Elder Scrolls series to keep to thier current formulas.....However am not saying that that one game could use aspects from the other game in order to improve the experience, For example Zelda could indeed have a less linear story and take some more RPG elements from a game like Skyrim....

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Some elements could be implimented, the potion making, the picking of wild plants, the grand scale, the hundreds of exploration points.
I think Zelda should go down the more detailed graphical look, but not the art style of Skyrim. Zelda is even more of a fantasy world and its style should reflect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom