• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda Switch have a more complex weapon system?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
So we know that Zelda Switch will probably have BotW elements like cycling weapons and shields, but do you think that ninty could go more technical with this? right now choosing a weapon is "hmm... one is 15 and the other is 20... which one to choose?" But I feel like it could be so much more. I know that you can already upgrade your armor, but what if there was Legendary armor that had upgrade trees and you chose the armor's traits? Or what about the ability to imbue normal weapons with triforce light and make them doubly powerful for a while?

Would you like to see this kind of weapon system or would you rather it stay simple?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly, I would prefer a wider variety of weapon classes to that. Dual blades, brass knuckles, etc. BotW had some sub groups in the three main melee weapon types like clubs being one-handed and hammers being two-handed, but they could split them into their own separate groups with more unique and refined movesets for each. Then they could have you think about which to use by weighing DPS and giving elements their own additional value. So, say you had a fire hammer and fire dual blades. Hammer is 20 atk and dual blades is 10. Then hammer's fire element atk is 30 and dual blades is 10 on each blade. Then it becomes a matter of whether or not the much faster DPS of the dual blades outweighs the raw power of the slow hammer. Of course, this is starting to drift into RPG territory, but that's fine for Zelda. It would be a logical expansion on BotW's system.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
One thing would be to craft and repair weapons. Much like Skyrim's ingots, it doesn't seem to much of a stretch to add ores along with gems and be able to make your own weapons and armor. I also would like a little more consistency with the sword, spear, club idea. The spear being weak, but fast, the club being slow but strong and the sword being a sort of middle point. Some new weapons would be cool too. A crossbow in proper canon would be a great one, and as said before dual wielding blades. Maybe some more magic spells like in AoL and OoT. Give the players a bit more freedom in having "classes" A Warrior, a mage or something else entirely.

Honestly no.

As soon as games start messing with skill trees and unique buffs via special items and methods etc i just switch off, i seriously dont like it.

I'm fine with what BotW did but I'd honestly prefer going back to the likes of OoT and WW.

Agree with @Spirit, I do not feel like it would add anything to a Zelda game. I did not even upgrade any of the armour.
For the next game I would rather prefer that the weapons do not break after using them only a couple of times...

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
One thing would be to craft and repair weapons. Much like Skyrim's ingots, it doesn't seem to much of a stretch to add ores along with gems and be able to make your own weapons and armor. I also would like a little more consistency with the sword, spear, club idea. The spear being weak, but fast, the club being slow but strong and the sword being a sort of middle point. Some new weapons would be cool too. A crossbow in proper canon would be a great one, and as said before dual wielding blades. Maybe some more magic spells like in AoL and OoT. Give the players a bit more freedom in having "classes" A Warrior, a mage or something else entirely.
y'know, I actually like the idea of Link having "classes" to fit each player's play style. of course it wouldn't be called a class, it would be called like Path of [Din/Farore/Naryu]. Link has, since the beginning of the game, been a "link" between the player and the game. If Zelda games have a "class" system, I think that Zelda games will gain a lot of depth and, being one who personally likes a class system, I would like it a lot.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd rather they remove different weapon types altogether...but if they continue, then yes. One of BOTW's problems is that rather than expanding onto unique weapon types, they just stripped the sword of most of its moves and then divided them among the three weapons. All this accomplished was dumbing down the combat even further.

This is this 'system' any Zelda game should use.

1. Weak, hard mode sword
2. Master Sword
3. Good sword that you have to unlock

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom