• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda Songs Have Lyrics?

A similar argument to voice-overs, should Zelda songs have lyrics? As in, a singer? I think that the orchestrated songs are great, but lyrics would add a whole new dimension to the series. A lot of you probably wondering how this would work, so I'm going to give you a quick example:

[video=youtube;Jz8c17upEwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8c17upEwM[/video]

This is a song from a game called Bastion, in which some of the songs had lyrics. They were amazing. This song, Zia's theme (Build a wall), portrayed the character, Zia, very well. It was also nominated for Spike's Video Game Song of the Year, along with another song from the same game, which had lyrics.

What do you guys have to say about this?

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
You know that's something I've really thought on as well. I believe that some or certain Zelda songs should have lyrics to them, and like you said to bring a whole new dimension to the series. I still don't think there should be voice acting, but definitely in songs would be a good idea.

Personally, I hate when video games have lyrics in their soundtracks. You know, beyond chanting in Latin. I also think it would sound especially out of place in a Zelda game considering there are no other speaking voices. Also, if I ever have to bear through another Crush 40 type situation I may just play all video games on mute forever.

i dont think it needs that. i mean music has always been a HUGE part of zelda and its more than good enough on its own, without lyrics. but i guess it wouldn't be a bad thing ether :/

Personally, I hate when video games have lyrics in their soundtracks. You know, beyond chanting in Latin. I also think it would sound especially out of place in a Zelda game considering there are no other speaking voices. Also, if I ever have to bear through another Crush 40 type situation I may just play all video games on mute forever.

Thing is, Nintendo has the budget to get great songs with lyrics. Sure, it would take a while to get used to, but it would be well worth it. The songs from Bastion were fun and unique, and I'd love to see this in the Zelda series.

Last edited:
A few of them have sounded good with what sounded like lyrics, like the title screen of TP, or the E3 Zelda orchestra song. Not all of them would work though...

Sure a couple of songs with lyrics in them would be fine. I like that idea and it would be a nice thing to add.

IMO i dont think it would fit the franchise seen as you dont hear any other voices in the game and i think the addition of vocals in the music would cause the music to be less simplistic and it wont really be as nice of background to hear as you play the game compared to just instrumental.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
Thing is, Nintendo has the budget to get great songs with lyrics. Sure, it would take a while to get used to, but it would be well worth it. The songs from Bastion were fun and unique, and I'd love to see this in the Zelda series.

Nintendo also has the budget for great voice acting. Yet Zelda stays without it for 25+ years.

Bastion is also not Zelda. In fact, the format of the game is completely different to anything Zelda has seen. The game's highpoint is the narration, which includes a spoken language, which Zelda doesn't have.

I dont think they should add lyrics simply because i dont think it will work. I like to listen to just the orchestra without lyrics. I liked it when Zelda sang in SS and i'd be up for a full version of that but no more :3

The songs in Zelda games are such a huge part of the atmosphere, if there were lyrics people would start to concentrate on them and some of that special/epic/mystical atmosphere would get lost, I guess.
Maybe a few minor songs would be nice with lyrics, but in my opinion the main themes should always be without them. :nod:

The songs in Zelda games are such a huge part of the atmosphere, if there were lyrics people would start to concentrate on them and some of that special/epic/mystical atmosphere would get lost, I guess.
Maybe a few minor songs would be nice with lyrics, but in my opinion the main themes should always be without them. :nod:

I agree, I can't imagine the Song of Storms with lyrics, but I was thinking more of the themes of the characters and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom