• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Should Zelda III Be Done?

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
Have you noticed the trend of returning to the origins of game series? Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic 4 and also many series are rebooting like Mortal Kombat or Tomb Raider... But most of all I'm impressed by Mega Man 9 and 10.
They made two new games but used the 8-bit graphics and gameplay of the NES! So I was wondering what about finally making Zelda III for the VC?
Something that's not just a sequel to Zelda II, a game that's really the third NES game that should have came out in the 80s!
What do you think of it? What should the story be about? Should it feature LoZ's gameplay, AoL's gameplay or something new?
I think a totally new gameplay would be more appropriate, so that the NES series would be a trilogy, and we wouldn't have two similar games, and a different one. What about you?

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
That's an interesting idea; I don't know if I would want Nintendo to take Zelda back to that era; I'd rather them focus on newer game and leave 8-bit for nostalgia.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Wasn't A Link to the past part 3?

But nevermind that, I would seriously love a part 3 to the orginal series. I would like them to do it Minish Cap style.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Another 8-bit Zelda would be a waste of time, to be honest. I don't think casual fans would take too kindly to an 8-bit Zelda being released. Heck, I love the Zelda franchise, and I would be angry too. I'd much rather them put time and energy into a spectacular game with the best visuals, etc. they have available.

The idea is interesting. It not only would be a sequel to Zelda II, but it can fix Zelda II's many flaws. Things like having to start over at North Castle whenever a Game Over occurred, size of Link's sword, and the absence of usable items made the game less enjoyable. Not only that, but Link's unbearable hang time and improving the power of the sword beam.

Story would be tough to come up with, but when coming to gameplay, I would love to see a return of the Adventure of Link's side-scrolling action with the same difficulty. I would like to see the dependency of sword and magic again. I would also like to see items such as the boomerang, bow and arrows, and other staple items: bottles, recovery hearts, bombs. The experience system can stay.

Turo602 said:
Wasn't A Link to the past part 3?
Before A Link to the Past was brought up, the game following Zelda II would have been Zelda III for the NES. The game was rumored to be in development sometime near the SNES's beginning. The game was scrapped to make A Link to the Past. Zelda III: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Zelda_III

bbevington90 said:
Another 8-bit Zelda would be a waste of time, to be honest. I don't think casual fans would take too kindly to an 8-bit Zelda being released. Heck, I love the Zelda franchise, and I would be angry too. I'd much rather them put time and energy into a spectacular game with the best visuals, etc. they have available.
Another 8-bit Zelda wouldn't be a waste of time as you can still get beautiful visuals with 8-bit. Capcom has proved this with its Mega Man games, 1-6, 9 and 10.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
Now thatI thinkof it, the problem in most game I mentioned (Donkey Kong, Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider) is that the series is trying to resurrect from its ashes. Those games lost popularity and now are trying to regain it.
It's not the case of Zelda. Zelda has always been a best selling game and I actually believe it to be one of the few game series that gets better with time. So returning to the origins wouldn't be a step forward, but I still think that it could be interesting. If you could buy it for 1000 points, then why not giving it a try?

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Oh on Virtual Console like a WiiWare type game like Megaman whatever number they're on now, then sure. I might not buy it if it was a full-blown fifty-dollar Wii game.

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
I like the fact that the Zelda series does not seem to dwell into the past, like most other Nintendo franchises. They are one of the only Nintendo franchises nowadays that seems to look forward all the time. I like this very much, and I think other Nintendo franchises need to look at Zelda as an example that Nintendo is still innovative and forward-thinking. So, no, I would not like it if they made Zelda III and attempted to restore their 8-bit glory.

E

Exodus_

That wouldn't be that bad of an idea. I think it would be pretty hard to come up with a storyline to go with but it could possibly work. I just hope if they did they wouldn't have Ganon or Ganondorf as the antagonist. It seems like every Zelda game has had him in it, and I think they should make someone new like for Skyward Sword. It seems like for the end of TP they just squeezed him in there. This is just my opinion.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I see that - in case such a game would be made - most of the people here are a bit afraid of Nintendo shifting their focus away from new games. So let's rule that possibility out - maybe by delegating the development of such a game to a third party, preferably Capcom. IMO, with OoA and OoS they made some very excellent 8-bit(ish?) Zelda games as late as 2001 (I actually prefer these over LA, which I still give a high rating). At the same time, Nintendo developed WW, and in the end it got released only 2 years after MM, less than half the time that we're already waiting now for SS (after TP). So I can't see a problem there.
Sure, it shouldn't be a full-priced Wii game, but rather a VC title or maybe bundled with SS. Such a game could be a very great thing for the oldschool Zelda players like me who miss the challenge level of the older games. I thought the Oracle games were the most challenging and action-heavy installments in the series since aLttP. Maybe it could even draw these players back into the series!

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I don't think they should, it just seems a retro style zelda game wouldn't work as well as a retro Mario or DK game (which have both fared well). Nintendo is innovative and that's something I think we'll see with Skyward Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom