• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda have Voice Actors?

I really don't think that Nintendo should do voice acting in a Zelda game.
Anyone remember the horrible voice acting in Super Mario Sunshine?

If that's the way Nintendo treats voice acting with there main character, then I'd hate to see how they would do voice acting with the Zelda series.

I just really don't think that Nintendo is ready for voice acting.

E

emy

Ugh, I would hate it (no offense to anyone who likes the idea!)
It's just not Zelda... at all. Plus it would probably make it really cheesy if not done properly, like in a lot of other games.

I just think it's a bad idea all around.

I like the text. It's fun, it let's you use your imagination a little bit more, and it makes kids who play actually read a bit for once :P. It's a good thing!

Immortal_One

Math is power.
I would rather not want to see voice acting in the Zelda games because there's a reason for them not to put voice acting in them. What the characters sound like, how they speak and everything else should be left up to individual interpretation. If I'm not mistaken, that's the reason why the top dogs of Zelda chose not to implement that idea in Ocarina of Time.

I really doubt they would even put voice acting in the game mostly because it's become such a minuscule item in the grand scheme of things. Games like Metriod and Mario have gone into the realm of voice acting, even though Zelda didn't. Even though Zelda didn't progress with voice acting, it still did as well, if not better than many games that did go into voice acting.

As Axel the Beast said, I wouldn't really mind too much if they did it, I just would rather not see them do it. They'd do it well I'm sure, but I like my Zelda games traditional.

What we need to understand is that, no matter what, it's inevitable. All video games series need to evolve to survive, and if Zelda ends up sticking around for a long time, the series really isn't going to have a choice. I'm not saying it'll happen in the near future, but it will happen. Personally, I wouldn't mind voice acting, as long as it was kept to a minimal. I'm not the kind of person that's going to go into a state of depression because Zelda's voice "Was never what I pictured it to be." I just really don't care, and don't see all of the fuss over voices not being good enough for someone. Now about keeping it to a minimal: I don't want to have to witness a voice cut scene every 5 minutes or when I talk to random CPU in the street. I'm thinking it would work for important scenes, such as when Link enters Gerudo Desert for the first time in TP, or when Link encounters Skull Kid on the top of Clock Tower at the beginning of MM. Scenes that hold a lot of relevance to the storyline would be the only places I'd want voice acting.

A

Abyss Master

I, personally, am completely fine with no voice acting beyond what we've seen. I like reading the textboxes. I can skip them at any time without it sounding awfully unnatural and out of place, and it wouldn't be plagued by horrible voices that we would most likely complain about (especially if Link were to talk).

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I, personally, am completely fine with no voice acting beyond what we've seen. I like reading the textboxes. I can skip them at any time without it sounding awfully unnatural and out of place, and it wouldn't be plagued by horrible voices that we would most likely complain about (especially if Link were to talk).

This reminds of Fable/II. You know, some people liked the voices, but personally.... my GOD, I couldn't stand them. Too many, and far too annoying. I know I'm not the only one with this opinion, either. In any case, I wouldn't want Zelda to ever go that far with voices. I think it was cool to see Link talking in TP's cutscenes- you could their mouths moving, but all you heard was the music and whatnot. That was pretty cool.

S

Silent Rain

I personally wouldn't mind voice if they did it right. But Link shouldn't need to talk. I really don't mind reading text though. Some of the characters have so much to say that you might miss half of it. But I guess there could be text and voice and the character could just read the line of text that is on the screen.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Actually, Zelda with voices would work. Everyone but the main character talking seems to work well in other games. It's at least worth a try.

I really don't think that Nintendo should do voice acting in a Zelda game.
Anyone remember the horrible voice acting in Super Mario Sunshine?

If that's the way Nintendo treats voice acting with there main character, then I'd hate to see how they would do voice acting with the Zelda series.

I just really don't think that Nintendo is ready for voice acting.
I didn't really think that the voice acting was bad in Sunshine. And that's always how Mario's sounded... :?

Besides, I think everyone pretty much agrees that voice acting or no voice acting, Link should not speak. :P

But other that that, I agree. I would rather there not be voice acting as well.

P

Pyroco101

it worked in Metroid Prime 3, since the only talkers weren't in most of the game, why not Zelda?

it worked in Metroid Prime 3, since the only talkers weren't in most of the game, why not Zelda?

With the Metroid games think anyone was really bothered with how each character sounded as it was easy for them to choose a voice that sounded good for each character. It would be harder I believe with Zelda as all we have ever heard from Link was a series of grunts and shouts, It would be very hard to find a good voice actor for Link, It would be easier for each of the other main characters though, Maybe if Link didn't talk it could work.

B

Bloot

Personally I find voice acting more a detriment than a benefit in 95% of the games that feature it. Most of the time its wooden, phoned in and just plain bad. The other 5% may have a few actors who seem to be going with it but most of the others are usually have the exact same problems as all others.

And for your other question, for FFX (which had horrid voice acting) they never once say Tidus' name since you can change it. Though that is the only instance I can think of.

You know I don't think FFX had bad voice acting (Tidus was the only eyesore there) but really bad timing. Since it was Square's first time using real voice actors, and since the North American script was different from the Japanese one, it was really about hitting everything just right. I like voice acting in a game, though it always seems like everyone has a problem with Japanese-to-American dubbing, versus acting in an American-made video game. Anyway, I kind of would like voice acting in Zelda. I think they could wing it where everyone but Link talks.

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
Nintendo has money to afford good voice actors. I gained that confidence after playing Punch Out Wii, in which all the voice actors were excellent, and they actually spoke their foreign languages properly! They'd have to go through more effort for Zelda of course. The easiest solution to avoid having to narrate all masses of text would be to have only the important cutscenes have voice acting (a la Path of Radiance).

I think Nintendo should consider making Link speak for the new Wii title and future works.

D

defeater109

link wouldnt, but maybe everyone else, odd to imagine a zelda Voice or a goron though

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
No, Voice actors is a bad idea. What if you name Link something crazy? How is this voice actor going to pronounce it? Or, Miyamoto could just take away the freedom of letting you choose your own name.

You're absolutely right. Giving the option to name your character takes away the chances of voice acting. Especially if you could name your character something that was inappropriate. Also, it would cost them more money. Nintendo just figures, why spend all this time and money to get quality voice actors when people still love zelda games (like Twilight Princess) without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom