• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda have Voice Actors?

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
I've found the lack of voices in the later game very distracting, also I'm lazy and don't enjoy reading pages and pages of text. But I think if they ever did add in voice acting, Link should remain mute. And maybe I've become so used to it not having voices, maybe it wouldn't seem like a Zelda game. Also what would they do when it came to saying the players choice of the main character's name?

What do others think?

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Personally I find voice acting more a detriment than a benefit in 95% of the games that feature it. Most of the time its wooden, phoned in and just plain bad. The other 5% may have a few actors who seem to be going with it but most of the others are usually have the exact same problems as all others.

And for your other question, for FFX (which had horrid voice acting) they never once say Tidus' name since you can change it. Though that is the only instance I can think of.

Last edited:

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
People these days are lazy and need to read!
Long live silent and classic. Plus, remember the last time Nintendo did such a thing (Super Mario Sunshine: Bowser and Bowser Jr.)?

S

shadowscrub

i wouldnt mind voice actors if it didnt slow down the game. i can remember playing a spyro game and it really sucked because of that

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
It would be a kinda....weird that all of a sudden that some characters are voice acted in zelda games. personnaly i would be against it.

linkman8

True and Noble
It would have to depend. With NPC's I don't think I'd really care, because you're not really attached to a lot of the less important characters, but I'd be against having a voice actor for Link.

A

Ando

No. Very no. 99.9% of the time, the voice actors' skills aren't high enough to accurately portray anything, and the voice acting ends up being more of a detriment to the game than a help. I've only played ONE game that had consistently amazing voice acting, and that's Tales of Vesperia (I guess that Oblivion might count, too, but it's pretty much the same eight voice actors saying the same things the whole game so you get a little numb to the voices).

I don't trust that they'd get top of the line vocals going on here.

No. As a few have said, most will probably think that the voice actors suck, which means that they probably won't buy it anyway. I'm not a fan of voice acting, I love to read anyway, and it keeps things simple.

Claire

The Geekette
I wouldn't want voice actors, more than the little giggles, grunts, and squeals we already hear. I think it was prolong the games with way too much unwanted dialogue, and besides this, I simply think the series do a fantastic job the way they already are, without actual conversations we can read - we assume what Link says, then connect that to what another has said, which makes it always more interesting.

I personally would rather there not be voice acting.

I mean, it would be cool, but the whole thing where there's just text, followed by a few sounds from the characters... it had it's own style in my opinion, and I liked it.

But if they did give Zelda voice-acting, I would say keep Link mute.

Z

zeldatwilight55

zeldatwilight55

personally I think they should never use voice acting. What if they make Link sound lame. I know no one would want that ever. Now, what if they made everyone speak jibberish like midna? I don't know about that....

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Hmm. Obviously Link shouldn't be talking.

But it did seem awkward to me to watch everyone in Twilight Princess move their mouths so accurately but no sound come out.

I think its a mistake to assume the voice acting will be bad today. This isn't the 90s anymore, many games today are being released with realistic, skilled voice acting. Look at PC games like Bioshock, Half-life 2 or the Elder Scrolls.

If Nintendo hired a professional VA casting agent, they could give Hyrule a great set of voices. I think that would work to the benefit of the next Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom