• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Video Gaming Be Recognized As A Sport?

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Honestly, no because it is a hobby, even though all sports are, video games is something you don't have to move around, like with sports you do. Anyone can play video games, but not just anyone, can play sports.

Well, chess is a recognised sport. You have to have logical skills for it, instead of athletical skills.
But considering video games in general would overdo it. There are a lot of games you don't even need to think while playing.
Maybe you could call a particular sort of games a sport which is competitive and where you need a special skill for :thinking:

Video games per se are no sport, however.

No because your just laying or sitting there moving nothing but your fingers. Sports are supposed to make a person active and move around.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
With the innovation of the interaction with the Wii, I'd say yes. Sure, there isn't must strength involved but there's plenty of endurance and thought process in it to make it competitive.

If it's debatable that chess is a sport, I don't think video games have much of a chance of being considered one either.

They actually did show video game competitions on TV.

They have a big Madden Football tournament and their used to be this reality show with contestants on this bus visiting like NFL players and other players to play madden with them, they would also compete to stay on the bus and advance to the big tournament. I probably explained it horribly, it was something like that, though I only watched a couple of episodes. It was fairly entertaining even though I am not a big Madden player.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
No, Sports are physical, video games - most of the time- are not. Simple as that.

Although I do find videogame tournaments entertaining, Mostly Pokemon and fighting game related. I wanna go to EVO someday.

No, it really shouldn't. I mean, I don't know about you, but for me, wrapping my self in a blanket and button mashing doesn't take athletic ability...Not even the games on the Wii require actual athletic ability....and the Kinect just requires a lot of motion, and no skill. So you don't really ever get both, and so gaming, while it can be considered a competition, can't really be considered a sport....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom