• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Should They Make the Great Fairy Good-looking in OOT3D?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I was just thinking about this today, actually. As I am currently playing OoT, I met the Great Fairy today...In my opinion, fairies should look delicate but graceful and pure. But this design really wasn't very good. She strikes me as kind of freaky and almost intimidating. I think they chose the wrong look, because the name "Great Fairy" certainly does not place that image in my head. I doubt OoT 3D will be changed in that way, I don't think much will differ from the NES and Gamecube releases. Obviously there will be a few minor changes, but I don't think they will consider re-designing the Great Fairy.

It seemed to me that the Great Fairies were Nintendo's way of implementing suggestive content into the game. After all, the only thing covering her "suggestive parts" was ivy.

Yeah, way to go, Nintendo. Great message.-.-

Also, this isn't a bad message. It's purely a dress style within fantasy games, there are many creatures and races dressed like that in similar things to Zelda. Like RPGs and fantasy games. She's decent so I don't see that as a problem anyway.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Personally, I've always thought the great fairies from OoT were awesome! They're all cool, neat, and superb looking. I don't know. There seems to be the common stereotype that fairies are beautiful creatures, but surely not all fairies are beautiful. There have to be some uglier ones, too! It's the same with humans, we're not all extremely beautiful (not that I'm calling anyone ugly ;D).

Although I would prefer it if the fairy... was... at least a little bit more uh... good looking. I'm not calling her ugly as she is right now, though!

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
did anyone else notice that in the clip, when the fairy floated, her boobs jiggled? Another GREAT message, Nintendo, scarring little kids with giant fairies covered only in moss with pointy boobs and now jiggling boobs.

Last edited:

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
What's so scary about jiggling boobs, lol? That's what they do in real life... Gravity and all. xD

Ganondork

goo
I hope they change her looks, me and my sis were playing and when I saw the first Great Fairy my sister turned to me and said "Is that a hooker?" Unfortunately, our mother heard the question, and to this day, my mom will check in on what I'm playing...

Am i the only one who thought the great fairys were kinda cute?

Not saying i wanted her to be naked or anything, but the ivy itself made it hard to look at her. It just made everything ugly, like she had veiny skin or something, i dont know. The ivy just looked bad. If she wore something else, it would have been okay, but the ivy looked weird.

K

kotonashi96

They should keep the general design the same but maybe improve some of the blockiness and maybe add some realism. Add depth to the face, plants and hair. But changing it as much as WW did is too much, it makes it too unfamiliar.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
did anyone else notice that in the clip, when the fairy floated, her boobs jiggled? Another GREAT message, Nintendo, scarring little kids with giant fairies covered only in moss with pointy boobs and now jiggling boobs.
Lots of kids/family games have this. And when I was a child, it didn't scare me, I actually thought that it was hilarious (although a little curious as to why it was actually in a kids/family game).
As for my opinion, I never had a problem with the way she looked; and I always liked her laugh - I thought it made her seem mysterious. I honestly hope that all they do with her design is smooth off the edges, which it what it looks like based off of that video.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
What's so scary about jiggling boobs, lol? That's what they do in real life... Gravity and all. xD
there's nothing wrong with them, it's just Nintendo is sending a horrible message to kids who have never played OoT. they're gonna get the idea that Zelda is a game full of Half-Naked Fairies with jiggling boobs.

I think Nintendo has a thing for boobs... Just saying

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
there's nothing wrong with them, it's just Nintendo is sending a horrible message to kids who have never played OoT. they're gonna get the idea that Zelda is a game full of Half-Naked Fairies with jiggling boobs.

I think Nintendo has a thing for boobs... Just saying

No, I just think that they remastered it to make the characters seem more... life-like. This is life-like. Sadly.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Personally, I've always thought the great fairies from OoT were awesome! They're all cool, neat, and superb looking. I don't know. There seems to be the common stereotype that fairies are beautiful creatures, but surely not all fairies are beautiful.

Hit the nail on the head, at least in my opinion! I'm not gonna say I wasn't kinda freaked out when I heard the Great Fairy's screaming laughter and saw the leafy "outfit" for the first time, but in retrospect, it was laughably unsuspected and ridiculous. You walk into this sparkling fountain and expect a serene, glowing, beautiful figure, and instead you get quite a shock. Her appearance, crazy makeup and all, is quite unique and supernatural in a good way if you ask me, more creative and recognizable than the draped, winged, traditional fairy look.

The Nintendo version may look pixely and pointy in a not-very aesthetic way, but it never bothered me much.. I feel like while her character design was a challenge to flatter in 64 bit, I still was able to visualize the main idea of what she was meant to appear like. Some fanarts that I've come across have captured her pretty well. To me, she already is good-looking just in an alternative way.

Screenshot2011-05-16at124229AM-1.png
Screenshot2011-05-16at124256AM.png

@zeldahuman, I would think that anatomically correct, nearly fully covered breasts would be the least child-corrupting factor in a game where the majority gameplay consists of slashing and stabbing enemy creatures and exploring terrifying dungeons like the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
^ I like those renditions of the Great Fairies you posted Hylian Pants :)

I think regardless of whether people liked the Great Fairy's character design, it shouldn't radically change, simply because it was what the original character design was meant to be. However much problem people might have had with the original design, it is a part of OoT as everyone knows it. To change it now would actually in a way be disgracing the original design that everyone has come to know.

Besides that, I can see a split in opinion occurring if they changed the look of the Great Fairies: there will be those who are happy with the new design, and those horrified that the original design had been changed. There is no need for this...if Nintendo wanted the Great Fairy design to be different, they would have made it so in the original release of OoT. Anyone remember the blue beta fairy? This girl:

[video=youtube;My7zCTeCZ94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My7zCTeCZ94&feature=related[/video]

(Skip about 32 seconds in and watch, you will see her. She was cut from the final design)

While her design is unfinished, she looked to be shaping up as a more traditional 'beautiful' Great Fairy. The fact that they scrapped her means that Nintendo actually decided that the Great Fairy model they chose in the end was indeed what they wanted. So really, there would be no reason for them to change that now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom