• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should There Be a Female Link in Future Zelda Games?

I don't know about Link being a girl, but maybe there could be a girl who works with him during his quest. Kind of like Navi, Midna, Fi, ect. but she could help him by killing monsters alongside Link. There could even be a multiplayer option if that happened. Just an idea.:P But i dont think Link himself should be a girl.

Feral

The Drifter
Well maybe not female Link. What about just playing Zelda or Tetra?

P

Princess Link

I don't think it would work in cannon of the official Zelda series, but a fan game (maybe "The Legend of Princess Link" (What? I'd totally get that made if I could.)) would be pretty sweet.

Jonny

When in doubt, mumble.
As long as you could choose a male Link then I'd be ok with the choice of a female Link. I have grown up with (as have many others) with the iconic image of the green clad silent boy who uses his courage to overcome the evil that infests the land. This is something that is very important and has a lot of emotional investment in from many people and I can't agree with taking it away. However having the option to choose if you'd like to be a female Character allow those that have great connections to the icon to keep it and those who wish to have a new one that they may better relate to can also do so. But I would also want the male story arc to be the cannon story arc as that would be interfering with the icon too much imo.

So yes, allowing a female choice is fine as long as proper respect is given to a 25 year old icon that has affected and is loved by so many.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So yes, allowing a female choice is fine as long as proper respect is given to a 25 year old icon that has affected and is loved by so many.
Does it really matter if something is loved by so many? Especially something as small as "green clad hero"? That's like saying "I grew up with the Magic Meter so I don't agree with it being changed". Basically, it's ridiculous. Changing Link's clothes will not create an entirely, it's something that means nothing at all (compare it to Jill Valentine's RE1 costume and her RE3 costume; it doesn't make a difference). Changing the gender of Link will not create an entirely new experience, it's not even as major as replacing a cast member as we're given the same character, just a different look.

People are blowing female Link out of proportion, and I get the vibe that half of the "against" crew don't even know what they're dealing with. This isn't a "make Ganondorf playable". This is a simple "change the gender of the playable character". Go play BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets. Play as male Mascot and you get the same story. Play as female Mascot and guess what? You get the SAME. EXACT. STORY.

Fig

The Altruist
Well, I did make a thread pretty much exactly like this one here.

Anyway, I'm in full support of a female Link. I mean, the character itself doesn't even have to be a Link, or even be the main hero (but still playable). So, it could be one of two options in my mind:
  • Option 1: You pick the names of male Link and female Link, with players generally controlling male Link but perspective changes to female Link occasionally. Sort of how you control Rebecca and Billy in the Capcom game Resident Evil Zero.
  • Option 2: You choose between female and male Link, with appropriate text changes to either choice.

I mean, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a female Link. Sure, it'll take a bit more time and money because you have to hire the right VA and get physics correct, but it is still win win. The Wii U is completely capable of having two different Link characters. It would still make sense storywise, with appropriate text changes. It could also help in that we will finally have a girl character who isn't entirely useless in action (i.e Zelda, Midna, etc). Really, I'm in full support of a female Link, because I'm tired of regular Link just doing what he does. He says some girl who is kidnapped by some silly ol' evil, then gets mediocre thanks at the end. Overused and abused. Perhaps he could save a girl, or team up with a girl, who is somewhat like him as far as background is? For example, in Skyward Sword, rather than Zelda being the focal point it could've been a likeminded girl who was bullied alike Groose who for some reason dove off into the Surface, then the quest could've been to save her...only that she had combat abilities of her own worth using and they could work together to fight off Demise or something like that. Just anything to keep away from the whole "Help me Mario, I'm in another castle" persona that most female characters have in Zelda.

For clarity, I DO NOT WANT a female Link who is for sexual/sensual moments and stuff like that. I want a female Link who is still as combat centric as the regular Link.

That's how I see a female Link would be. Then again, unless they can pull it off, then I will be up for it. I just can't see a combatic girl saving the princess. It would take a lot of importance from Zelda even though she's the main female in the series. I don't want to see her importance get ripped from her by another female let alone a female who the player would be able to control and have combatic skills. It just won't have that fantasy feeling that all Zelda games have if they make one with a female hero. Now maybe if they make an alternate universe where everyone is the opposite gender, then maybe it could just pull it off with a female character as the main character in the series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Female Link wouldn't be the center of the game, however. She'd still be the same Link we're used to, just with female features rather than male. She would be as much a character as regular Link, meaning that she just connects us to the game world and we have our occasional dialogue choices. Zelda is never really important – she is the main person who needs saving, but she doesn't actually *do* anything. She gets kidnapped. She is a plot device. Not important, the story would go just the same with her as it would without.

To give some perspective, let's compare Zelda in ALL of her appearances (minus ST) to Ventus of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Zelda generally fits one of these roles:
  • Motivator – tells Link what to do and gives him some encouragement.
  • Girlfriend – is a friend to Link and gives him some pseudo-purpose behind saving the world.

Ventus in comparison fits into both of those roles. But what am I talking about?

[Spoilers for KHBBS]
  • Ven is a motivator in that he "encourages" Aqua and Terra to carry on with their quest to find Master Xehanort and defeat the Unversed. In the scene in Radiant Garden, Ven tells Aqua and Terra that Scrooge gave him three tickets to Disney Town but to bring two adults. Right after, Terra asks Ven if he had seen Vanitas, and then tells Ven to go home. So, essentially, Ven is useless to the plot.
  • Ven is a "girlfriend" (or a friend) in that he is literally Aqua and Terra's best friends. In the final battle with Master Xehanort, Terra shouts "LEAVE MY FRIENDS ALONE". If that isn't enough...well, in Aqua's final battle with Vanitas, Aqua shouts "GIVE VEN HIS HEART BACK". So, essentially, Ven is useless to the plot.
  • Ventus at the end of the game is rendered comatose, and in the secret ending it's shown that he is just another one of the people that Sora has to save. But then again...Ven IS the reaosn why Sora can wield the Keyblade in the first place.
[ENDSPOILERS]

Okay, enough with KHBBS. Zelda is hardly useful to the plot. Link, regardless of gender, could save the world with or without having a motivator/girlfriend in the way. Sure, he wouldn't have much of a purpose (besides, y'know, everything he knows being rendered to dust), but he could do it all the same.

For that reason of Zelda's uselessness, I do say that female Link wouldn't take the spotlight from anyone, because she'd still be Link and Link himself doesn't take the spotlight from anyone...ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom