• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should There Be a Female Link in Future Zelda Games?

If Link were a girl, then what would Zelda be. The games are partly driven by Link's and Zelda's relationship. If they were both girls, people would accuse them of being gay, and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of a boy Zelda. It just wouldn't fit.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
I'v heard this question so many times. I'm not trying to be sexist, but I don't think a female Link would fit into the story very well. I mean, if Link's a girl, then is Zelda a prince? Honestly, I don't think it would work.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
While I like the idea of choosing a male and female characters, I don't for Zelda. First off, Zelda seems to be set in a medieval-ish time period, in which women would likely not be allowed to train to be a hero. I'm not being sexist, I'm just saying that for it to continue in that time, it wouldn't be possible. I know somebody's going to say "look at Impa. She's a girl and she fights." But the thing is, Impa's a sheikah. If they were to make a female sheikah you could play as, it wouldn't be Link (because he is not sheikah) and therefore, I feel, it wouldn't really be a Zelda game. The only "Zelda" Games in which Link is not the protagonist are the Tingle games and the CDI games, both of which most people despise.

That's not to say I wouldn't like having a female character (maybe Zelda) that teams up with Link, with occasionally playing as her. That would be very cool. But an actual female Link as a protagonist... I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't even buy the game.

It would defeat the purpose put into the games of the whole incarnation aspect. Once you're reincarnated you're someone else from a different time that is similar yet you still have your SLIGHT differences.

As much as Link may have just been a link in the past games, that's not the case anymore. Link has developed into a character all his own with his own personality and mentality now. How do we know this? Well, for the simple fact that he has a name which is Link and he is addressed as such. If he were only a link to the player still he wouldn't have a name, much like a Dragon Age Origins character or an Elder Scrolls character, which is your character through and through.

A female protagonist, yes, that would work rather easily, but for Link to be feminine altogether... no... I'm sorry it just wouldn't work quite well.

Also... Zelda's never been worthless to the degree that some people are saying... She's helped in many ways over the games. It was the first Zelda where she got captured and in the second she was cursed. In OoT she was only captured at the VERY which until that point she was your guide. In WW she was Tetra before she was Zelda and she had plenty of spunk and helped drive the story on and if I remember right, she wasn't captured until the very end either. She was forced into a pickle in TP where she had to give in or face the death of her people, in which she helped where she could, which was to keep Midna alive. In SS she wasn't captured until the end, she was just reawakening and one step ahead of Link the entire adventure. When she put herself to sleep to keep the Imprisoned imprisoned I consider that majorly helpful... And once again... she wasn't captured until the very end.

It could work. But thats a very big could. Like a lot of people have stated already, what affect would that have on the character Zelda who is a romantic interest? Link as a male just fits the story and to change it would be quite a risk. Plus Link, while silent, does have a personality and is his own character and not just an avatar for the player to be, like Pokemon. I am all for the idea though as playing as my own gender would be nice. I think perhaps a better idea would be to be able to play as Zelda herself, that way we wouldn't have to change Link at all. But yeah.... like that will ever happen! xD I'm happy with our mute Hero the way he is. <3

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
If the main character would ever be a girl, it would be Zelda. Nintendo would never risk a failing Zelda game, not counting the CD-i versions. Unless Nintendo could make a separate adventure involving Zelda, hopefully it would work. But until they decide that, there will be no female Link. It's not sexist, by the way. It's called putting 2 + 2 together..

I have thought about this several times. The idea of a female Link, while a novelty is just absurd. It would entirely ruin the storys timeline. And it would feel to gimmicky of a title, if you will. Now, I have wanted since a child to play a game as Zelda. That would rock. but female Link? just no

R

RobbTime

I could possably see a future zelda title where you might switch off as playing as link and zelda to make a longer game and larger story line maybe... but i dont think a female link would work.

I kind of like the idea of a possible future female Link but I have my doubts it will ever happen. I mean, Nintendo has stuck with the main character Link for 25 years. To them Link besides Mario or Donkey Kong is another one of they're icons (or mascots whatever) and changing Link from male to female MIGHT be a fail for them. They might as well have a female Mario too while they're at it. :P

I mean think about it. If Nintendo did announce that they were going to have a female Link, I can see right now that it will not be very well received by the majority of Zelda fans. "Zelda fanboys" would make such a HUGE fuss and that there would be so much controversy it would be ridiculous. There was controversy with Skyward Swords graphics when it was announced and I thought THAT was ridiculous.

If there are to be any female playable characters in a Zelda game, it should just be Zelda herself. That will probably be better received. Maybe.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
For two reasons.

1: The Legend of Zelda is mostly played by boys (No offense to Girls who like Zelda). If it was a female link no one would pick her or if it was just female link it would lose some boys who play the game.

2: A girl saving a princess. That just does not work. The story goes a prince or a handsome person would go and save the princess locked up in a tower. A girl with a sword saving a princess. It just would not fit.

No,I'm not sexist(I have no problem with Samus being a girl or Terra being the main character of FF6 lol),but it wouldn't fit at all,it would be a very bad idea,I would hate the game because of that,it would just be horrible.It would be a bad idea as:changing Link sword's to a gun.

If done well it would be perfectly fine.

However chances are it will be executed to sub par standards(eg. making Zelda a guy and having female link save him, is a terrible idea.)

Now i know alot of fans like to think of Link and Zelda being a romance thing. TBH you don't have to change that because well nothing is solid when it comes to these things to it's not like were "corrupting" young minds.

And lets not forget link is pretty dam feminine most of the time anyway.

No, that's dumb. I will never support the gender bending of characters in anything. Except Ranma 1/2, but only because that's the premise.

Also, changing the gender changes the character. I will not play a Zelda game with any character but Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom