• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should There Be a Female Link in Future Zelda Games?

S

SS,OoT,WW,TP

Ok, a lot of videogames that have protagonists that you are in complete control of such as their name and what items they use and what they do and don't talk at all (for example pokemon games and of course zelda) usually allow you to make that person how you want to be such as being able to choose your gender in the beginning of most pokemon games, but zelda doesn't have this, why? I mean if we have seen links in different zelda games that have different physical features why can't we have the other gender? Zelda is somewhat a rpg because you get to choose how you play the game but they don't allow you to be a girl? Now of course I'm a dude so this wouldn't bother me but what about all of the female zelda fans? Don't they deserve to have link be their gender? It wouldn't change the story much, and all you would have to do is slightly change the dialogue and some cutsceneas, not like nintendo isn't capable of doing it. What do you think should there be a option to be a girl in zelda games?

And sorry if this topic has been talked about before because I looked around the forums and didn't see anything related to this.

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
I dunno, I think if there were a female Link, it would take away much of Zelda's significance in the series. I mean, Zelda could still be there, but with two girls, I think a lot of her importance would be taken away, considering there are few girls in the series. Her duty as princess makes her important, and I think a female hero would steal some of that thunder.

HookShotFTW

Weapon of a Lifetime
Yes, In My Little Epona: Triforce is Magic. No, but really I don't really think it would be...normal. Also the role of "saving the princess" is never played by a girl.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I don't think there should be a female Link. Not to be sexist or anything, but it seems unusual to me thinking about a young girl learning to fight with a sword and going on a perilous journey to save a princess. Not that it isn't possible, I just don't think it would really fit with the Legend of Zelda image. All you really have control over in terms of the character is the name, and I always name my character LINK just to get the real feel of the story.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I did make a thread pretty much exactly like this one here.

Anyway, I'm in full support of a female Link. I mean, the character itself doesn't even have to be a Link, or even be the main hero (but still playable). So, it could be one of two options in my mind:
  • Option 1: You pick the names of male Link and female Link, with players generally controlling male Link but perspective changes to female Link occasionally. Sort of how you control Rebecca and Billy in the Capcom game Resident Evil Zero.
  • Option 2: You choose between female and male Link, with appropriate text changes to either choice.

I mean, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a female Link. Sure, it'll take a bit more time and money because you have to hire the right VA and get physics correct, but it is still win win. The Wii U is completely capable of having two different Link characters. It would still make sense storywise, with appropriate text changes. It could also help in that we will finally have a girl character who isn't entirely useless in action (i.e Zelda, Midna, etc). Really, I'm in full support of a female Link, because I'm tired of regular Link just doing what he does. He says some girl who is kidnapped by some silly ol' evil, then gets mediocre thanks at the end. Overused and abused. Perhaps he could save a girl, or team up with a girl, who is somewhat like him as far as background is? For example, in Skyward Sword, rather than Zelda being the focal point it could've been a likeminded girl who was bullied alike Groose who for some reason dove off into the Surface, then the quest could've been to save her...only that she had combat abilities of her own worth using and they could work together to fight off Demise or something like that. Just anything to keep away from the whole "Help me Mario, I'm in another castle" persona that most female characters have in Zelda.

For clarity, I DO NOT WANT a female Link who is for sexual/sensual moments and stuff like that. I want a female Link who is still as combat centric as the regular Link.

Last edited:
K

KingOfRedLions

Nah

Nah, I don't think it will or should happen. The Legend of Zelda is based on the adventures of Miyamoto's as a boy when he would explore. The idea of a hero exploring, fighting bad guys and monsters and saving a princess is something from a boy's imagination, I know because I did the same thing I used to go play in the trees and imagine I was on an adventure in the woods. So, if Link is a female protagonist in a future game it would leave the idea of a little boy's fantasy world. I mean, come on, a female Link? So much of what we know of Link would change. Link is almost always being driven to save Hyrule (or any other world he finds himself in) because of a girl. In WW it was his sister. In TP it was Ilia. In PH it was Tetra. In SS it is Zelda. The girls in the Legend of Zelda drive Link to save the world. It'd be odd if the girl was Link.

Now, if it was another hero that wasn't Link then that would make more sense to me, but I still doubt it would happen because it would stray from the source of Miyamoto's inspiration. And , personally, I want Link to be a guy. I can relate to Link and his situation more because I am a guy. So I guess I am a bit biased (but not sexist) about this topic. But whatever happens Ill still play the Zelda games no matter the gender of the protagonist. :)

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
there was a thread a couple years ago only it was called "link wif boobs" it might've been on a different website. most of the people that posted said that they were against a female link, i however have no feelings towards or against a female link. i would be interested in seeing how they apply it to the time-line of zelda, but honestly i don't think nintendo will make a female link. if they do, i would be interested in how it turns out.

L

leavy101

I would have a problem if they made it a female link. link is a fully developed character with an identity all his own you wouldn't make link a female in the same way you would, i don't know...give Mario a fire hose... i would like to see a game where you could play as link and zelda. better yet make a completely new female character with her own personality and style; I would love to see that.

MW7

I'm all for it. Link originally was just a "link" to the player, so if that player is female, why should they have to play as a male character. The story wouldn't even really have to be changed at all either. Look at Skyward Sword- female Link and Zelda would just be really close friends in that context. Well unless they were lesbians of course, but I doubt Nintendo's ready to go down that path yet or ever.

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
For all the girls who support a female link, you are being bias. The games aren't sexist, but it would make sense that male hero saves the princess or saves the world from destruction. It's in the fairy tales and it's in all sorts of fables. This isn't like Pokemon, that by choosing a gender wouldn't change the game. By being able to choose a sex in a legend of Zelda game, it kind of throws off the relationship Link and Zelda had for each other. Where do you hear of a female Hero saving a PRINCESS? It wouldn't realistically happen. I'm sorry for sounding sexist but it's the truth.

MW7

For all the girls who support a female link, you are being bias. The games aren't sexist, but it would make sense that male hero saves the princess or saves the world from destruction. It's in the fairy tales and it's in all sorts of fables. This isn't like Pokemon, that by choosing a gender wouldn't change the game. By being able to choose a sex in a legend of Zelda game, it kind of throws off the relationship Link and Zelda had for each other. Where do you hear of a female Hero saving a PRINCESS? It wouldn't realistically happen. I'm sorry for sounding sexist but it's the truth.

But Zelda games aren't realistic either. It doesn't seem like it should happen just because no one has told a story like it yet. It's generations of storytellers who have been sexist, and so now it's harder for people to imagine a female hero. It has been getting better though in society ever since women have been getting empowered, and this is evident by female heros in movies/books and I have to mention in video games with Samus Aran in Metroid. After a while people wouldn't think it was weird at all IMO.

S

SS,OoT,WW,TP

Maybe they could make a male zelda to pair up with a female link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom