• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should the Triforce Be Featured More Often?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So the Triforce is the biggest symbol within Hyrule mythology, I mean it's essentially why there is evil and why there is good in the world. Link, Princess Zelda and Ganon(dorf) are also usually tied to the separate pieces, the balance being; Power, Wisdom and Courage. The legendary relic is usually present without actually being acknowledged most of the time, we see the symbol a lot but many characters actually reference it. In my opinion I think it's becoming less important.

S the queshquestion would be; should this legendary symbol/power be featured more within Zelda games? Now I know it was featured within Skyward Sword but I see this as one of the few exceptions. Most of the time we get a brief mention usually at the hands of Ganondorf or a small cut scene. I would like to think that the Triforce could become more of a focus actually within the plot in future Zelda games, so what are your thoughts on the Triforce and whether is should be more of a common feature?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't agree. Zelda I you collect triforce shards the whole game, Zelda II you're trying to get the trifroce of courage, ALTTP you get the triforce at the end, OoT is obviously heavily involved with the triforce, Link has the triforce powers in OoA and OoS, Wind Waker is heavily involved with the triforce, TP Ganon has the triforce of power, and Skyward Sword you obtain the triforce. I think it's fine as it is.
This is kinda what I was on about... I mean this just reinforces the idea that the Triforce is briefly in each game.

• Like you said, in A Link to the Past we obtain the Triforce at the end, is isn't a common feature throughout the game.
  • How is it heavily involved in Ocarina of Time ? I think that's a bit of an overstatement, we see a cut scene on how the gods created the world and Ganondorf mentions it prior to the final battle.
  • Hmm correct me if I'm wrong but is Triforce barley even mentioned in the Oracles?
  • Twilight Princess would be another great example of a game that briefly mentions the Triforce, it was shown on Link's head and was briefly mentioned by Ganondorf. It was "not" a common feature within the game.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
I believe the problem with the triforce is the whole legend it has behind; in all the games we have been told what a powerful relic it is, so that if the evil get it the whole world is at stake. It has supreme and almost divine powers, and therefore it isn't something we can toy with like the masks in MM (to put an example of something powerful we have total access from almost the beginning of the game).

It is very difficult to include the triforce in a game further than it being the main goal (get it, or keep it away from Ganondorf). Using it in a more "proximal" way to the player, such as a special item, would only add frivolity to its power.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I liked what was done with it in Twilight Princess, like how it was used mostly as a backdrop for story events moreso playing an important role in the story. I know Link's quest sort of revolved around the Triforce of Courage, but it was really an afterthought - the game felt to me as if he were a lowly man progressing to the status of Hero; maybe not playing the role of the Hero of Time but definitely becoming a Hero in his own right. :)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think Zelda needs symbolism, a key aspect of the ever-desired world-building. The Triforce should really appear more in Zelda. I mean it is the most powerful thing in the history of Hyrule. I should be a staple and common sight in the series, both actually and in symbolism. The common sight of the Triforce would help draw us into the world of Hyrule and get us in the mood for Zelda. The series needs more consistency in the symbolism and more serious tones, and the Triforce solves one of those problems.

RichardBlaziken

Mr. Blaziken
The Triforce is really just symbolism for the characters in the story and the key traits within us. Power and Wisdom are likened to strength of the mind and body, while Courage is something a bit more abstract; through every trial you overcome in any Zelda game, you and your avatar gain more Courage as a result. Not only do you feel more compelled to explore previously frightening areas (due to now having more hearts and items to overcome challenges and obstacles), but in most Zelda games, the story elements push you deeper into caring for the people you rescue, providing an actual sense of Courage within the player when they face down a frightening enemy for the sake of another being's life.

The symbolism of the Triforce is there through every aspect of every Zelda game. Obtaining upgrades makes you feel more powerful, solving puzzles makes you feel wise, and facing down challenges shows your bravery. All of these aspects are done without the Triforce being prominently featured throughout each game, making the symbolism for what the games are about even more potent. And at the end of the game, after vanquishing evil, you reflect on your quest. Even if that particular avatar did not acquire the Triforce, you remember the trials you've overcome even without obtaining the power of the gods, because in reality, that doesn't provide you (both the player and Link), with anything more than you've had all along.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom