• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Revali_is_Best

Return of Revali
Series name shouldn't change as it might alienate people who don't call it anything other than Zelda, but I do think maybe it is due since, especially in BotW, Zelda didn't play as big of a role

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
As if it's ever really left Hyrule. :eyes:
I hate to be that guy but saying that made me think, like how many games don't take place in Hyrule? Koholint, Termina, Labrynna, Holodrum, The Great Sea, New Hyrule, Hytopia...I'm too lazy to look it up but I think that's somewhere around 8ish games. You could totally count the Great Sea and Maybe even New Hyrule as Hyrule for the sake of argument but I think it's fair to say that The Hyrule Fantasy might not really fit every game. Although it's a sick name, it would totally fly these days even if it didn't fit all that well.

LA didn't have much to do with Zelda except that the game kind of revolved around Marin, who was something of a dreamy representation of Zelda. Still, you could say that LA and the Oracle twins don't have a lot of Zelda in them so the name doesn't fit perfectly there.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I hate to be that guy but saying that made me think, Luke how many games don't take place in Hyrule? Koholint, Termina, Labrynna, Holodrum, The Great Sea, New Hyrule, Hytopia...I'm too lazy to look it up but I think that's somewhere around 8ish games. You could totally count the Great Sea and Maybe even New Hyrule as Hyrule for the sake of argument but I think it's fair to say that The Hyrule Fantasy might not really fit every game. Although it's a sick name, it would totally fly these days even if it didn't fit all that well.

LA didn't have much to do with Zelda except that the game kind of revolved around Marin, who was something of a dreamy representation of Zelda. Still, you could say that LA and the Oracle twins don't have a lot of Zelda in them so the name doesn't fit perfectly there.

I'd call the Great Sea, Hytopia, and New Hyrule all aspects of Hyrule. I suppose it's more that I want a game that steps out of Hyrule without having to minimize it by claiming it's a parallel world.

It's Zelda's legend, we're just living in it!
Edit:
Hyrule Fantasy like it was called in japan, we know about the exceptions but the next big game will always go back to Hyrule in some way​
I'm sure you and most folks here already know this, but just for posterity: the series is still "The Legend of Zelda" in Japan.​
And even though the original FDS game is called The Hyrule Fantasy: The Legend of Zelda in the title's most literal order, it was understood this was one of those odd cases where the main and subtitles were essentially inverted (for instance, the logo is like The Hyrule Fantasy: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA) akin to The Lost World: Jurassic Park or Hellbound: Hellraiser II.​
(Yeah, it's confusing.)​
In any case, I prefer "The Legend of Zelda." "The Hyrule Fantasy" is a bit esoteric and even reminds me of a romance, and in any case just seems to work better for me as a subtitle. I really do like how 'The Legend of Zelda' implies you're not the main character and you and your adventures are actually the fun videogame-y supporting portions of a much larger story centered around the Zelda(s).​

Last edited:

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
you'd call a completely new continent an "aspect" of a previous continent?
Yeah, totally, like how the Caribbean was once called the "West Indies".

This makes me imagine a game with an expansionist, colonial Hyrule that Link has a genuine moral dilemma about serving and Ganondorf is kinda right about wanting to overthrow.

THAT game could totally be called The Hyrule Fantasy.

But yeah I'm definitely of the belief that The Legend of Zelda is a confusing title, and that if they'd stuck with The Hyrule Fantasy we'd have achieved world peace or something.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yeah, totally, like how the Caribbean was once called the "West Indies".

This makes me imagine a game with an expansionist, colonial Hyrule that Link has a genuine moral dilemma about serving and Ganondorf is kinda right about wanting to overthrow.

THAT game could totally be called The Hyrule Fantasy.

But yeah I'm definitely of the belief that The Legend of Zelda is a confusing title, and that if they'd stuck with The Hyrule Fantasy we'd have achieved world peace or something.

If Nintendo made a Zelda game where Link was a 21st century westerner who believed that settling in a new land because your home had been destroyed was "evil imperialism", I would be done with the series. No matter your view on the morality of it, no human in the history of the world (smell the extreme figurative language!) thought that expanding ones country was a net negative until our privileged butts did several years ago. And much less if their country has been destroyed and they needed to resettle in a new place.

If Nintendo made a Zelda game where Link was a 21st century westerner who believed that settling in a new land because your home had been destroyed was "evil imperialism", I would be done with the series. No matter your view on the morality of it, no human in the history of the world (smell the extreme figurative language!) thought that expanding ones country was a net negative until our privileged butts did several years ago. And much less if their country has been destroyed and they needed to resettle in a new place.
You seemed to take an awfully specific idea from someone's use of the terms "expansionist" and "colonialist," but yes, people generally soured on those things after World War II.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
You seemed to take an awfully specific idea from someone's use of the terms "expansionist" and "colonialist," but yes, people generally soured on those things after World War II.
Yeah, it's a concept pretty specific to this moment in time. I know a lot of games like the idea of a modern game (and modern Link by extension) but I've always appreciated the timelessness of the series. Before your know it, Link will have pink hair and be riding a motorcyc- you know what, scratch that, he's always had an identity crisis.images (10).jpeg

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I was not specifically referring to the necessary resettlement seen in the "New Hyrule" from Spirit Tracks. I was merely jesting that a game featuring a "Hyrulean Empire" with a conquistador complex could reasonably be titled "The Hyrule Fantasy". Everything I said was a hypothetical remark about that title. I am not here to make this a political discussion about actual imperialism in real life.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I was not specifically referring to the necessary resettlement seen in the "New Hyrule" from Spirit Tracks. I was merely jesting that a game featuring a "Hyrulean Empire" with a conquistador complex could reasonably be titled "The Hyrule Fantasy". Everything I said was a hypothetical remark about that title. I am not here to make this a political discussion about actual imperialism in real life.
Totally agree, I just hope Nintendo doesn't want to make it political either. It would turn so many people off. I'd RP that story for sure though. "The Hyrule Fantasy" does have a romantic ring to it, if they choose to do something a bit more broad with the movements of the kingdom, they could absolutely do like an RTS spinoff series under the heading "The Hyrule Fantasy".

On the contrary, empire and conquest being universal evils is hardly political or controversial at all and I think a game that puts Link and Zelda as plucky rebels in a quest to stop her wicked stepmother that usurped the crown from assembling the eight pieces of the macguffin cannon and using it to conquer Hyrule's neighboring kingdoms in the name of the supposedly superior Hylian race would prove quite popular indeed.

"The Hyrule Fantasy" might be too broad a title for such a game, though. "The Legend of Zelda: Macguffin Cannon," though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom