• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Should The Original Or DX Version Be Added As A Post Game Unlockable?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

So this was a Daily Debate topic I wrote on the frontpage that I really liked, and I figured I'd share with all of you. I know not all Forum members care to check the actual frontpage, and might not want click the link I provided, so the content will be quoted below:

the-legend-of-zelda-links-awaken.jpg

We’re almost a month away from the release of the Link’s Awakening Remake, and my excitement for it is building! While some friends of mine were talking about the remake a few days ago, an interesting thought came up that has been sticking with me: What if the Link’s Awakening remake offered the original or DX version of the game as a post-game unlockable?

The Nintendo Switch’s life-cycle is already in motion, and with the upcoming release of the Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo may be shifting focus away from games that are available on the 3DS e-shop. Therefore, it’s possible that the 3DS e-shop could end up being shut down like the Wii Shop Menu was, meaning that Link’s Awakening DX may not be available at some point. So, a nice goodie that could be added to the Link’s Awakening remake would be the addition of the original version of the game or the DX version. That way, people will still have a piece of the Game Boy era, which is especially great if they never had a 3DS or an original Game Boy or Game Boy Advance.

It’d be kind of like how Metroid Zero Mission offered the original NES Metroid as a reward for completion of the game. That was back in the Game Boy Advance era, so it should be simple to fit additional data for Game Boy or Game Boy Advance games onto a Switch Cartridge. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to the original or DX version of Link’s Awakeningbeing added to the remake, because considering the remake’s price, the more content the better!

What are your thoughts? Would you enjoy being able to unlock the original or DX version of Link’s Awakening? Or would you rather wait for the original to be ported up through Nintendo Online instead? We’re interested to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

This Daily Debate was inspired by Discord User ChaosMiles07#7782

It would certainly be nice but I cant see it ever happening.

I imagine the game may release as part of the Nintendo Online Service at some point in the future, having it available on a cartridge that will sell millions may deter people for paying for a service for something they already own.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It would certainly be nice but I cant see it ever happening.

I imagine the game may release as part of the Nintendo Online Service at some point in the future, having it available on a cartridge that will sell millions may deter people for paying for a service for something they already own.
Unfortunately I do think this what they will do, but it feels like adding games to Nintendo Online is a slow crawl. We still don't even have SNES games available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom