• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should the Characters We Meet Play a Bigger Part in the Game?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Everytime we play a Zelda game we get into villages and talk to characters. Sometimes these characters are helping us in our quest or with side quests. But what if these characters are a part of the game itself and not only be used as side quests hosts? Like every character contains a key to solve a puzzle to continue in your quest like unlocking a temple or something? Just being more than just a character in a game living in a certain village. I see so many characters and sometimes I wish Nintendo would have done a bit more with them so what do you think? I have nopt played all Zelda games so tell me if I miss something :P

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is something Majora's Mask did excellently, and it's something Skyward Sword brought back somewhat, but wasn't quite as efficient at it. I hope to see Zelda Wii U go all the way with it and bring back that kind of interactivity found in MM, because it really helps bring the in-game world to life. NPC's that stand around doing the same exact thing and saying the same exact lines throughout the entirety of a game is bland and somewhat immersion-breaking. Having them act like real people by having places to go, things to do, and problems to solve AIDS in immersion, because they... well, act like real people.

It's honestly something more video games in general should do. Zelda's not the only one guilty of it.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Everytime we play a Zelda game we get into villages and talk to characters. Sometimes these characters are helping us in our quest or with side quests. But what if these characters are a part of the game itself and not only be used as side quests hosts?
Hmmm, I'm assuming you're talking about characters in general, if so then I believe Ocarina of Time and A Link Between Worlds did just what you are asking for. In OoT, you were constantly bombarded with characters that played some-sort of role in the game. You technically meet all of the sages as a child (save for Rauru), and have to go and save them once you become an adult. There are also characters like Malon, Talon, Dampé, etc. who all play a small role in Link's journey. Most of the characters Link met in OoT held some sort of significance within his journey. In ALBW, literally almost the same thing applies.

Vee said:
Like every character contains a key to solve a puzzle to continue in your quest like unlocking a temple or something?
Hmmm, well I know in ALBW you need to conquer the Thieve's Hideout in order to get the Sand Rod, which gives you access to the Desert Palace. If you're talking about something like that, then I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to that in a future installment.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Characters being more important in the game would be pretty nice. I already ranted in another thread about how I want the characters to be more involved and so you feel more connected to them, especially Zelda herself. She was pretty involved in Skyward Sword but I still didn't like her. I just wish there was a reason for me to like her, or for anybody to like her. I feel like they could hugely expand the plot of the games and make the stories deeper if they had characters play bigger roles, like having the people Link knows get involved with the story more, rather than just... be there.

So yeah. I hope they make it happen.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
I think this is a great idea. As already mentioned, Majora's Mask did great in this area, and the time travel made for a logical reason for characters saying the same thing if that's what they did. I think it would be difficult for this kind of concept to hurt a game unless it was focused on too highly by Nintendo and ultimately ended up distracting TOO much from the main story, but I find that unlikely to happen.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Bigger part in the side quests maybe, but bigger part in the main game? No.

I'm confused what would be the problem with having side characters play a bigger part in the main quest. I think that it would make for a more involved and dynamic world by making it feel like the story was driving itself instead of making it feel like Link was the only one moving the story along. It would make things seem more urgent, like what your doing is actually having an effect on the world.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
What about Makar and Medli in the Windwaker? They were side-characters at first, but they developed to be great additions to the storyline and the gameplay. I like your idea though, some characters in Zelda should get more quality time.

Salem

SICK
I'm confused what would be the problem with having side characters play a bigger part in the main quest. I think that it would make for a more involved and dynamic world by making it feel like the story was driving itself instead of making it feel like Link was the only one moving the story along. It would make things seem more urgent, like what your doing is actually having an effect on the world.
The problem is the game would have to devote more cutscenes to side characters if they play a bigger role in the main quest.

Side quests are okay because they're optional.

Salem

SICK
when you said the problem was that they'd have to devote more custscenes for sidequests,is that a problem b/c of the time they'll have to put into making those cutscense,or is it just b/c you dislike them
Mostly because I dislike long cutscenes, if too many characters have to be involved a lot of the characters then that means... too much.

Playing the game for the first time I have to watch everything.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Don't want to get off topic, but I'm gonna say really quick, I love cutscenes. :P

As for what the OP is referring to... I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I guess you just want more characters to be important? Honestly, I think that it makes more sense for some characters to have less significance than others. Like, those random NPCs that wander around Castle Town in Twilight Princess? Those made the game feel larger and more alive. Not everyone in real life is involved in your personal story, afrer all. There are some people who are simply side characters.

Now, we COULD talk about giving side characters more development and personality. I might not mind that, haha. And maybe more in-depth side quests could be interesting. Or... we could have MORE of these important characters. But I don't think that's really necessary.

Could you give an example of what you meant, Vanessa? People seem to be talking about different things on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom