• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should the BSs of the Older Games Be Updated?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
We know that the old games (pre-OOT) have always been filled with facts that don't normally make sense, but they could be updated to fit the stories of the new games.

Take Alttp for example, it got an update with a new BS manual (japanese) which explained new facts. So I ask you, do you think the older games (including handheld) should have their BSs relooked and re-edited by Nintendo?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
A Link to the Past was already updated(yes, palace of the 4 swords for the win), and LA doesn't seem like it needs any Update.

In what concerns both LoZ and AoL, those two games need more update than any other game, specially LoZ.
Some hints to where it should be placed in the timeline would be pretty good, as well as a fairly enhanced plot, because the LoZ plot is the typical: "princess got kidnapped, now move your lazy butt to save her or die trying", and we all know that Zelda is more than that

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Yes, a remake of The Legend of Zelda or Adventure of Link would be nice. I've posted some in at least one other topic about a "Metroid Zero Mission" remake of Adventure of Link, which would involve expanding upon the story. The same thing for The Legend of Zelda would probably help "fix" the timeline better, but I would prefer Adventure of Link to be made easier. XP They could probably mend the backstory of that game quite a bit to make the timeline work better. The Legend of Zelda is part of Adventure of Link's back story, so maybe the second game would be a better one to remake with a re-outlined story, since that would give us more of all of the details we need about that time period.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Nah. I want there to be flaws and loopholes.

If the timeline and story of the Legend of Zelda was set in stone, then that would put us all out of a hobby. Lol

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
It would be nice to get these updates, but that would require every game that needs an update to be remade and re-released which would cost Nintendo a butt load of money. The updated re-releases would only attract theorists and I am sure that theorists are not the only people that the Nintendo crew has on their minds.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Nah. I want there to be flaws and loopholes.

If the timeline and story of the Legend of Zelda was set in stone, then that would put us all out of a hobby. Lol

Spreading Chaos isn't good, is it??
Adventure of Link doesn't really need an update... the story/backstory work perfectly, from my point of view.
It is the original legend of zelda that has the huge problem of missing backstory.
Also, the lack of dialogues in-game and poor argument of the game don't help at all.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
It would be nice to get these updates, but that would require every game that needs an update to be remade and re-released which would cost Nintendo a butt load of money. The updated re-releases would only attract theorists and I am sure that theorists are not the only people that the Nintendo crew has on their minds.

To reprogram a 2D game, I don't think it would cost that much, especially if they redid it on Wiiware. Using outdated hardware shouldn't be that hard.
And releasing it on download would lower the cost of money lost.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Spreading Chaos isn't good, is it??
Adventure of Link doesn't really need an update... the story/backstory work perfectly, from my point of view.
It is the original legend of zelda that has the huge problem of missing backstory.
Also, the lack of dialogues in-game and poor argument of the game don't help at all.

Maybe the fact that we have never been told the placement and the fact that LoZ doesnt have a BS is supposed to tell us something.

To reprogram a 2D game, I don't think it would cost that much, especially if they redid it on Wiiware. Using outdated hardware shouldn't be that hard.
And releasing it on download would lower the cost of money lost.

You have a point, but I still highly doubt we will ever get the updates that we want. As DvSag said, it would put us out of a hobby if they gave us updates that made the timeline for us.

L

Link367

No, I think if they had to reupdate the pre-OoT games they would end up changing the story of an entire game. It'd also cause chaos unto all Timelines. Because there aren't many games before OoT (in my view.) And it would cause chaos unto the games. Sure, adding an extra dungeon to a remake would be fine. But to completely re-do it would make the game completely different.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
No, I think if they had to reupdate the pre-OoT games they would end up changing the story of an entire game. It'd also cause chaos unto all Timelines. Because there aren't many games before OoT (in my view.) And it would cause chaos unto the games. Sure, adding an extra dungeon to a remake would be fine. But to completely re-do it would make the game completely different.

Why change the basic story, what I'm talking about is the backstory and minor details leading to the story.

Link can still save Zelda in HF (LOZ) I just want to know if his real adventure was more interactive than what we saw. And to add facts that can link the games to others in order to lessen the confusion.,

L

Link367

Yes, but if it added all that extra detail it wouldn't be same game.

I think it may be up to new games to have back-stories that help fill up the gaps the previous games left, more than editing the past ones into something different, even if we are just talking about the instruction booklet.

Legend of Zelda was the first game they created, I doubt back in the the NES they really thought about making a timeline, I don't even know how is that people, including N-staff, managed to place it inside one.

I think the old back stories are fine. I feel like I mention this on every post about timelines, but if we just put LoZ and AoL in a new hyrule after the WW flood, all the problems just disappear. I think the real BS problem is figuring out how the imprisoning war mentioned in ALttP relates to OoT and TP. I have my theories, but there are other threads about the imprisoning war, so I'll keep them to myself.

Anyway, I think Kokiri Kirl is right. Rather than reworking old games, I think new games should have to have intricate enough backstories to make it all work. Honestly, I think they do.

The only Zelda game that's backstory really needs to be updated is Zelda 2.

They should get rid of the prince and wizard subplot, and insteed of waking up an ancient Zelda, Link will insteed wake up the same Zelda from the first Zelda game.
The idea of a ancient sleeping Zelda(who may or may not be the first Zelda)always seemed silly to me.
They should have just had the sleeping curse be part of a backup plan that Ganon had should he ever be killed.

That's the only Zelda game backstory that I think needs the most updateing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom