• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Sega Re-Enter Console Market?

I don't think they should. At least, not at the moment. Maybe when Microsoft and Sony quit the console business. Then it would be back to "What Sega does and Nintendon't".

No I dont think they should. Its already over for them and they are already struggling as a business right now so adding a console would make things worse I think.

G

garomaster

It's unfortunate, but no SEGA shouldn't re-enter the hardware business. Due to poor software as of late and lack of funds they just wouldn't be able to handle it. It's a real shame because they really were great back in the day. If anything though, Nintendo should buy out SEGA. Could you imagine that? SEGA making games for Nintendo exclusivelly! Maybe with a little convincing, some of the old SEGA franchises could be revamped and brought to life on the Wii U!!

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Detailed answer: Sega can't afford another screwup. So, the answer is no.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Lol first page mostly "yes" and now this page mostly "no." I understand that Sega is struggling as a company, and tbh it isn't looking too good for them. However, if Sega were to get it's financial house in order and come up with some quality franchises, I think they could enter the hardware business and succeed. I know I would buy a system out of nostalgia and admiration for the company as long as it matched my five point expectation list. If these things were to be included, wouldn't you want that 90s feeling of turning on your home console and hearing the iconic "SEEGGAAAA?"

i think it would be almost pointless to try and match the current line of consoles as far as functionality. since all gaming consoles today are based on online multi player, multi media enhancments (things like psn, xbox live, netflix, etc.) i think if they could do something that was more along the lines of single player style gaming and constructed a console that was built just for playing games and wasnt a multi tasking media computer then it would have to be done really really well. if they could make this happen it could be a success...but you have to remember most people are really into the online aspects of gaming. gaming at home isnt like it used to be. so in that respect it would have to do more then just make a super rad system. we as consumers and gamers would have to change the way we play. it could be a way to get younger gamers into an older style of game play while offering them a new system instead of just going out and buying a used genesis. i think it would be hard for most people to get into again. i could see a lot of, "wait so i cant watch dvds/blue ray with this" or " what do you mean i cant browse the internet, isnt this a next gen console?"

i think it would be almost pointless to try and match the current line of consoles as far as functionality. since all gaming consoles today are based on online multi player, multi media enhancments (things like psn, xbox live, netflix, etc.) i think if they could do something that was more along the lines of single player style gaming and constructed a console that was built just for playing games and wasnt a multi tasking media computer then it would have to be done really really well. if they could make this happen it could be a success...but you have to remember most people are really into the online aspects of gaming. gaming at home isnt like it used to be. so in that respect it would have to do more then just make a super rad system. we as consumers and gamers would have to change the way we play. it could be a way to get younger gamers into an older style of game play while offering them a new system instead of just going out and buying a used genesis. i think it would be hard for most people to get into again. i could see a lot of, "wait so i cant watch dvds/blue ray with this" or " what do you mean i cant browse the internet, isnt this a next gen console?"

otherwise its just another rushed ps3 or xbox ....and if you already have one if not both of those.... its just kinda dumb to spend the money on something you already have

No. Sega's main franchises keep on getting questionable reviews, and it seems like sonic is their only first party series now. If they want to team up with valve and help them with the steambox then by all means, they can go right ahead.

Yes, but there may be hope still. Other studios like THQ are struggling significantly more. Also, rumor has it that Sega is planning a revamp of the Sonic franchise although it remains to be seen if there is any substance whatsoever in that whispering.

I would LOVE it if they did. The Dreamcast was one of my favourite systems<3
But it's definitely not a possibility for them...They haven't been doing so well, and as much as I'd like to see them come out with something new, it'd be more disappointing if it was a bad system than if they didn't have anything at all....

A

arevinator

it is vey unlikely after previous failures but still they should keep it in mind. They can either stay a dying, bottom-feeding software company with increasingly crappy results or take a leap of faith and try to regain their old reputation. Many sega fans would buy the console no matter what it ended up being. It would be awesome if sega was the company to bring back good ol' 8 and 16 bit platforming or do something totally new to reassert the gaming power they once held. The main thing I think is that they are too scared after what happened with the dreamcast.Alot of times in business you have to take risks to turn a company around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom