• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should NPCs be Killable?

Should NPCs be able to be killed?

• Total voters

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yes and i should get a third of the proceeds of any responses to this thread as you nicked it offa me in the SB.

Satan gets the other Third

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I don't think Nintendo will ever allow NPCs to be killed at the hands of Link. It turns the game a lot more violent and it puts in another potential timeline split

Quin

Disaster Master
Zelda isn't an RPG. Link isn't an evil person. So no, nothing more than something like a secret like you had with killing sakon. I'm fine with yiga and bandits and the like though.

Quin

Disaster Master
Really? If I'm gonna join an evil organization that worships a pig and was ran by a big idiot, I'd make sure they at least have some fashion sense.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Really? If I'm gonna join an evil organization that worships a pig and was ran by a big idiot, I'd make sure they at least have some fashion sense.

WHAAAAA, the Yiga clan do have.............a........ no wait they don't you're right there. The fact they worship a pig is proof enough.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't know why you'd want to. TLoZ has never been about freedom of roleplay in the RPG sense. The option to murder NPCs for whatever reason in RPGs is there if players want to play their role that way. But Link is Link. The focus of TLoZ isn't on playing a roll and expressing yourself through your actions. This form of expression is unnecessary.

It would also stand in stark contrast to the series' tone, and it would impact the series' reception and rating.

That having been said, murder isn't out of the question as far as I'm concerned. Sakkon the thief from Majora's Mask is notable for being the only killable NPC in a Zelda game. Thing is, his death makes sense for the situation in which it could take place. It's actually not the optimal outcome from a strategic standpoint since it eliminates useful options that otherwise become available later. Plus, given that time resets throughout the game his death isn't final. It also initially happens only by accident if you didn't expect it to play out that way. Murdering NPCs in this way is entertaining and useful and even personally impactful to players, but I don't think players need the option to go around indiscriminately killing anyone they please.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There are some characters I would love to kill. That dude, Hagie, in Tarrey Town wants you to take out some guardian stalkers and then as a prize he gives you a red rupee and also makes fun of you. I'm like dude, why the hell can't I push you off a cliff??

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I think that I would use this mechanic only on the NPC’s I hate the most like the Snot Kid or Beedle idk. Link’s a pretty good dude and I don’t like the idea of him becoming a criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom