• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Remake Zelda Games More Often?

Ever since the announcement of TWWHD two days ago, I've been mulling over Nintendo's recent Zelda releases. With Spirit Tracks in 2009 and Skyward Sword in 2011, Ninty needed some time to cushion itself early next generation. For the 25th anniversary, the company released Ocarina of Time 3D and Four Swords Anniversary Edition for the 3DS. Later this year, The Wind Waker hits Wii U to appease the longer wait for Zelda Wii U.

I'm traditionally opposed to remakes as newer games always draw a larger audience and are more profitable but Nintendo's playing its cards wisely and spacing installments out accordingly. With the first drastic power jump in Nintendo systems in awhile with the 3DS and Wii U, the time for sharpening old graphics and adding more features has never been better.

Should Nintendo continue to remake Zelda games at the same pace as for the last several years or after TWWHD releases solely focus on delivering the new Zelda 3DS and Wii U experiences?

Honestly, I don't mind it at all. A classic argument for why companies like Nintendo shouldn't make remakes is because it snatches up development time for completely knew installments. It makes sense, people want a totally new game as opposed to a remake.

However, -- taking OoT 3DS for example -- I doubt that it took much time for Nintendo to re-vamp the graphics of Ocarina of Time and re-configure the coding (or whatever it is they do, I'm no tech-expert) so that its compatible for the 3DS; the same goes for TWWHD. Remakes are a great way to fill in transition time between knew releases, and I personally welcome a more crisp looking Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time.

As long as it's one at a time and a considerable distance in terms of release date, yes. One HD remake is better than a collection of HD remakes for it allows the developers to focus, enhance, and improve the one game they are remaking instead of just slapping new improved graphics on it and nothing else. But I think they should focus on the new Zelda game first and remake an established Zelda game later. Gives us both a balance of new and nostalgia for the audience.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm no that big a fan of remakes. I'd rather they just release a game on the Virtual Console. Unless the game becomes almost totally forgotten to everyone except fans. MM desperately needs a resurrection. No one outside of geeks like us seem to know about it. In my book it is the second greatest game ever. (Just you try and guess which is first).

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
...Ehhh not really. Maybe once every 10 years if the graphics look seriously outdated like OoT and MM.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Honestly, I don't mind it at all. A classic argument for why companies like Nintendo shouldn't make remakes is because it snatches up development time for completely knew installments. It makes sense, people want a totally new game as opposed to a remake.

However, -- taking OoT 3DS for example -- I doubt that it took much time for Nintendo to re-vamp the graphics of Ocarina of Time and re-configure the coding (or whatever it is they do, I'm no tech-expert) so that its compatible for the 3DS; the same goes for TWWHD. Remakes are a great way to fill in transition time between knew releases, and I personally welcome a more crisp looking Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time.

Not to mention, we've had a steady stream of Zelda games that hasn't let up ever since Ocarina of Time was released. Increasing the rate of new releases would be more problematic, in my view, than decreasing it. Nintendo needs too keep the series from being an annual thing. In any case, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that remakes keep Nintendo from giving us new Zelda games.

I love remakes, and I'd like to see more.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
As long as it doesn't get to the point where we're getting a seemingly "new" Zelda game every couple of months as is what's happening to Mario, I'm fine with it.

True, I'd much prefer if they focused all their efforts on the new Zelda game instead of constantly looking backwards, but then again if remaking the games to conform to modern quality standards is what allows new players to experience older games I'm all for that. I'd never have experienced Pokemon Gold/Silver version if they hadn't been remade for the DS, nor Chrono Trigger for that matter. Making the older games playable on newer systems is key in keeping these games relevant, that's why I'm really wanting Majora's Mask to be remade for the 3DS so that more people can experience this gem of a game.

It's all about the format for me, really. If the original game is completely incompatible with modern standards, and if there is great demand for it being remade, then it should be remade, as it doesn't seem to be that incredibly difficult to update the textures and such. However... if the game is still playable on modern systems, then I don't really see the point.

I'd rather have new games now to be honest, all I ever hear from the Zelda fan base nowadays is what should be remade or what petitions we should start to make Nintendo remake something. So..

tumblr_m8yqo4Qfyi1ql5yr7o1_r1_400.gif

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd love to see Zelda annualized; the series has been pretty much dead outside of giving us a gimmick for controls as well as different visuals each release. Whether said annualization (not a word) is through remakes -- MM3D, OoTHD, ALttP3D and the list goes on -- or through new games, I honestly don't give a hoot. This 3-5 year wait for a Zelda title is nerve-wracking, to be honest, and I'd prefer for Nintendo to bridge the gap with even a familiar title given new life.

But, this isn't about annualizing Zelda. It's about remakes themselves. What are the pluses of remakes? Well, from what I can see:
- More money for Nintendo
- Old games get updated mechanics (sometimes), more fluidity, better visuals
- New players get to experience old games made in the modern age, for the modern age
- They're very easy to hand off to a third/second party developer, so no time is cut from Nintendo's EAD making new installments.

Minuses? From what I can see:
- Old players shell out money for a game they already own
- Series gets stagnant (possibly) with all the Re:[insert title here] entries
- Costs /some/ money on Nintendo's part

Now, I know there are far more pluses and minuses that I'm leaving out; I'm not too big on economy and don't know the ins and outs of the business world. In spite of that, I believe remakes could hinder the series as much as heal...but I don't really care so long as I get my Zelda fix, even through the illusion of a "new game" that is actually something I've played dressed in new paint. (^--that's redundant)

I'd love to see Zelda annualized; the series has been pretty much dead outside of giving us a gimmick for controls as well as different visuals each release. Whether said annualization (not a word) is through remakes -- MM3D, OoTHD, ALttP3D and the list goes on -- or through new games, I honestly don't give a hoot. This 3-5 year wait for a Zelda title is nerve-wracking, to be honest, and I'd prefer for Nintendo to bridge the gap with even a familiar title given new life.

But, this isn't about annualizing Zelda. It's about remakes themselves. What are the pluses of remakes? Well, from what I can see:
- More money for Nintendo
- Old games get updated mechanics (sometimes), more fluidity, better visuals
- New players get to experience old games made in the modern age, for the modern age
- They're very easy to hand off to a third/second party developer, so no time is cut from Nintendo's EAD making new installments.

Minuses? From what I can see:
- Old players shell out money for a game they already own
- Series gets stagnant (possibly) with all the Re:[insert title here] entries
- Costs /some/ money on Nintendo's part

Now, I know there are far more pluses and minuses that I'm leaving out; I'm not too big on economy and don't know the ins and outs of the business world. In spite of that, I believe remakes could hinder the series as much as heal...but I don't really care so long as I get my Zelda fix, even through the illusion of a "new game" that is actually something I've played dressed in new paint. (^--that's redundant)
Good points. An annualized Zelda series would make some money for Nintendo, but wouldn't that also mean lesser quality games with lesser development time? Unless they use the same engine for every game.

Good points. An annualized Zelda series would make some money for Nintendo, but wouldn't that also mean lesser quality games with lesser development time? Unless they use the same engine for every game.
Or hire a larger time or work with people outside the company, the development process would see a slight speed up.

I'm all for remakes, i don't mind if they remake every single Zelda, in fact i'd prefer it. Zelda has only really impressed me six times out of the 16 attempts that it has had and since Wind Waker barring TP i havent enjoyed a single game and i didnt like the Oracles that came before WW either. I don't have much faith at all in Nintendo to craft a Zelda game that I'm going to wholly enjoy becuase the series seems to be more about selling the hardware now rather than the game itself which is a shame and it was even said that TP was the last Zelda game of its kind and really since TP i havent liked where the series has gone at all.

So yeah i'd like to see more remakes. MM, ALttP, LA and TP would all be lovely to behold once more now that we have OoT3D and WWHD alongside them.

I truly hope that ZeldaU is a game that interests me i just can't see it happening, nor can i wit the 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm fine with remakes. When a game gets notable improvements, it can only be beneficial. The rate at which they make them is good. If a game were ported through use of the Virtual Console, though, I'd be just as happy. Cheaper price and zero development time. That's not to say remakes slow down creation of a new Zelda, necessarily, but I'd enjoy a mere port as much I would a remake.

Last edited:
I don't generally mind unless it doesn't become the norm for Zelda. As much as I like them, I do want to eventually see a new Zelda game and not just make remakes to keep us occupied for the next major title. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were pretty much games to keep us occupied for Skyward Sword and they were completely new games. Majora's Mask was the only Zelda game I wanted remade after Ocarina of Time 3D, after that I would of been a little uneasy with other potential remakes. In general I wasn't too happy when they announced WWHD for the Wii U, but it did lower the chance of Majora's Mask being on the Wii U, so it wasn't all in vain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom