• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Release Amiibo Content As Paid DLC?

Amiibo take the concept of locking content behind a pay wall to a new level. Poorly priced DLC is one problem, but with Nintendo, additional content is now being tied to physical items with limited quantities. The first few games to make use of this system did so without impeding the main gameplay experience. Smash Bros. simply offered a CPU that could be customized and trained, while Mario Kart 8 provided cosmetic changes that made racers don a suit of the tapped Amiibo.

The same can't be said about Wii U games in 2015. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse unlocked new power-ups and abilities with compatible Amiibo. Splatoon's Amiibo allow players to tackle segments of the single player in missions under certain conditions (e.g. using a sniper only or low ink). This problem is exacerbated by the fact that these games don't have much content to begin with. In a sense, Amiibo have become the equivalent of on-disc DLC, a means for players to pay extra for what should be included from the start.

Unfortunately, Nintendo has really found a market with these figurines. Soon, there will be Amiibo cards to boot. I wonder if Nintendo is considering the possibility of simply releasing Amiibo content as paid DLC. It's a double edged sword. On one side, it seems only natural that they would get more buyers if the contest was more readily available. Nintendo has nothing to gain from scalpers. If anything, the shortage of Amiibo only frustrates gamers. But on the other hand, perhaps this lack of supply is intentional to build the hype, despite what Nintendo claims. By making Amiibo content easily accessible, the Amiibo are demoted to simple figurines and people may be more likely to delay on a purchase, knowing there is no limited physical quantity holding them back.

Even though Amiibo have been a runaway success for Nintendo, they're disgruntling from a gamer's perspective. That said, maybe not everyone feels the same way I do.

How should Nintendo move forward with Amiibo? Should they continue playing their cards the same way as they have up to now or is some change needed? Is DLC a sound approach to releasing this content?

D

Deleted member 14134

Nintendo has found a clever way to enter the DLC market and use the same tactics other companies do but release it in a cute little statue form that won`t draw fire from their fanboys. Some people would buy the statue from purely a aesthetics standpoint but using it as a way to have paid locked content on a disc is no better than what EA and other big companies do. But wait, it`s Nintendo so it can`t be as bad as them righté

As for Nintendo holding back, I believe this could be true to help Amiibos sell and also keep the price as high as they want it since there's a tight demand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Finished, playable content on the disc should not be locked behind any type of pay-wall, and if this was EA or Activision doing it many people who are currently defending Amiibos would be the first ones to be *****ing about it. But god forbid if Nintendo fans ever say anything negative about their beloved.

All that's happened here is Nintendo have found a sneaky way to make people accept on-disc DLC which is to make them buy a pretty statue and, to be honest, I'd buy with no additional content unlocked. Whether this is good or bad remains to be seen but people are, at the end of the day, entitled to spend their money how they like and if people don't mind it then so be it. And if people are willing to pay, I don't think Nintendo are "evil" for continuing to produce it. Now I'm very detached from people who dislike DLC, I like it and see more good examples of it than bad, but I don't want to support on-disc DLC you need to buy regardless of the distracting statue that comes with it. I think it's a bad territory to be straying into, and one of many bad decisions Nintendo have been making recently.

I think Amiibos should continue of course, I love the look of them and they're arguably quite successful despite Nintendo's deliberate efforts, but if they need to unlock anything in the game, it should be purely cosmetic.

Last edited:
Finished, playable content on the disc should not be locked behind any type of pay-wall, and if this was EA or Activision doing it many people who are currently defending Amiibos would be the first ones to be *****ing about it. But god forbid if Nintendo fans ever say anything negative about their beloved.

All that's happened here is Nintendo have found a sneaky way to make people accept on-disc DLC probably with, which is to make them buy a pretty statue which, to be honest, I'd buy with no additional content unlocked. Whether this is good or bad remains to be seen but people are, at the end of the day, entitled to spend their money how they like and if people don't mind it then so be it. And if people are willing to pay, I don't think Nintendo are "evil" for continuing to produce it. Now I'm very detached from people who dislike DLC, I like it and see more good examples of it than bad, but I don't want to support on-disc DLC you need to buy regardless of the distracting statue that comes with it. I think it's a bad territory to be straying into, and one of many bad decisions Nintendo have been making recently.

I think Amiibos should continue of course, I love the look of them and they're arguably quite successful despite Nintendo's deliberate efforts, but if they need to unlock anything in the game, it should be purely cosmetic.

What she said <3

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I enjoy when amiibo unlock what feel like bonuses, such as the costumes in Mario Kart 8 and the customisable AI in Smash Brothers; I support these. You're not encouraged to get certain amiibo figures specific for this content, either, especially since it's so open. It should be seen as just bonuses and isn't taking away anything from the game. Even in Kirby & the Rainbow Paintbrush, although it requires a Kirby character, all you're missing out on is power-ups that make the game easier, right? Regardless, these were obviously added as content under the mindset of "What can we give to the players who have bought amiibo?" other than "What content can we lock behind amiibo?".

However, there is content that obviously shouldn't be locked behind amiibo. Granted, some is lenient, such as the mode in Mario Party 10 that requires at least one Mario character, but then Splatoon comes along and asks you to get up to three new amiibo if you want to unlock exclusive missions and costumes that aren't just aesthetic. That's a no-go from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom