• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Make a Darker Kirby Game?

Kirino

Tatakae
I think they definetly should.Now,i'm not talking blood,gore,and nudity.I just mean maybe a 10+ one,with a better and darker plot(I was thinking an overpowered dark kirby),less happy envioments,creepy music,ect.What do you think?

Id like one, but really, id like a 3D game, played like a zelda or mario, (with a full 3d world and 3rd person view)

Maybe not 10+, it should be E for Everyone, but OoT was E for Everyone, and if kirby gets dark, thats as dark as it should get, IMO.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Well, whether they should or shouldn't is a difficult question to answer.
However, I find that, given Kirby's history and the fact that he's an adorable pink puff ball, I don't think a "darker" Kirby would be well received.
Yes, people have been playing Kirby since they were kids, and a lot of those people have grown into adults now and have more mature tastes, but personally I think Kirby should stick to the reason why people loved the series in the first place.
Personally, I would be a little disheartened if I played a dark Kirby game. Kirby is bright, imaginative, and...cute.
The problem that a series has when it gets older is that it becomes difficult to please both the audience that grew up with the series and the new audience it has to bring in.
The older audience might want something to satisfy their more mature taste, and the new audience might want something that appeals to their younger taste.
But, given that Kirby is indeed an adorable pink puff ball, I don't think a dark side would really work well unless it is a sort of.....cute nightmare land sort of thing.
But, no, I don't want to see an evil Kirby, and I don't think a dark game would do well with the Kirby series unless, as I mentioned before, it's cute and lighthearted.

KratosFan

JUDGEMENT!
Well, the problem with a Dark Kirby game, is Mainly the Fact that, since the very beginning, Kirby has been a cute little puff ball who sucks up enemies and steals their powers. It has never even REALLY had a plot, and is usually just meant to be FUN like most platformers. The Only time story is REALLY Present is in the games' openings, and to advance game play, such as in Canvas Curse. So not only would it be weird for them to incorporate a dark story into kirby, but it would be weird for them to incorporate much of a story at ALL. Kirby is just supposed to be a game almost anyone can pick up and play at any point, and not worry about what's going on, so adding in a storyline, would totally change what kirby is about. So all in all, it wouldn't be a very good idea

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't really like "dark" themes for most Nintendo characters. I wouldn't really like a darker Mario game, either. Mario is supposed be fun and light... and Kirby is even more so. Zelda can kind of get away with darkness, but even there I feel like it can be overdone.

I would like innovation in the Kirby series, yes. But I don't think this is the kind of innovation that I want to see.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
...but Kirby is a cute pink ball that put himself into chronic storage to one day awaken as a big strong Star Warrior. I'm honestly not sure if you can replace the adorable face of Kirby with a serious plot. I must confess, though, the music styles have drastically changed (or at least within Kirby Air Ride), so that could be the sign of something.

However, Kirby has always had that charm. Then again, Super Mario and Legend of Zelda have had their charm way back in the day of the 80s, however, Legend of Zelda has gone quite a bit dark, and Super Mario's overall style hasn't really changed that much. I guess the question here would be if fans would be ready for change. I'm not sure if fans would love for a 20 year old game series to go to the dark side.

My only argument is that Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks were a bit dark in the story's overall tone, yet they were able to pull it off. Kirby, however, despite it's good gameplay mechanics, seems destined to be a game that looks like it's for kids, have the difficulty for kids, yet be aimed more at teens/adults. We have seen Kirby star in a dark game, that being the Subspace Emissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it turned out alright; but, that's Smash Bros., not his own title.

So, could Kirby have a dark game all to himself? I have to say the jury is out, but the judge is leaning a bit more on the no side.

Mute

一員
I actually was unable to come up with an appropriate start to what I'm going to say because the thought of a "darker" Kirby game just sort of throws me for a loop.(Not meant as an insult or anything, just... Kirby.) However, that aside, the only time I would ever agree with it is if they did something that they've done already. Which usually incorporates the final boss as being the darkest thing in the game, completely contrasting the rest of the game. Notable examples include Dreamland 3, 64, Amazing Mirror, and Canvas Curse. Those 4 stand out in particular because they're otherwise bright and cheerful until you get to the final boss, then the music changes to a creepy, intense sounding theme. Along with that, the backgrounds change, usually getting darker, and then the bosses appear, usually looking pretty intimidating.

To me, those are the closest I want Kirby to get to being "dark". As for the plot itself being dark, I can't comment on it, I rarely play games for the story.

T

The_man

I think they should go for it for sure. Im not talking about puppy killing, satanic kirby, but a little more than smiles and sunshine for the duration of the games. I mean even the enemies look so freakin happy as there engulfed by just the cutest darn vacuum in the world. I guess what im saying is, as a gamer it would be nice to put a twist on something like 20 years of mind numbing gameplay

if the could do it well, then yes
but that's just it...i don't think they could do it well, kirby is too well defined
...nintendo probably don't think they can do it either, don't think we'll see one anytime soon

Kirby was created for first-time gamers and small children. Yes, I know we all love his games. I have a blast with each and every one of them, but that doesn't change the main target audience, which is younger gamers. It's debatable whether or not series like Zelda or Metroid should become darker, since those "themes" are up to interpretation depending on the player, but it's simply not that way for Kirby. Kirby should stay just as he is: The most adorable puff ball on earth with rated E games focused just on cuteness and gameplay. It was never meant to be anything else.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
NOt really, I mean Kirby is a pink puff ball in a cute enviroment, with trees with faces etc. Even now with Kirby's Epic Yarn all the "enemies" look like very polite cute people. Also Kirby is a game that appeals to young gamers, if you make a dark Kirby that looks like a black puff with evil red eyes and pointy teeth, I would have a lot of nightmares. Young people afraid+ adult people that think its odd:Kirby is Dead for Nintendo.

Is like making Mario run to supersonic speed and Sonic eating mushrooms from a yellow? box. That cant just BE!!!

Hanyou

didn't build that
Kirby is already pretty dark.

Seriously, go back and play Kirby 64. Yes, the Kirby "look" has always consisted of simplistic designs, bright colors, and upbeat music--but that's precisely why at times, Kirby games turn into High-Octane Nightmare Fuel. The motivations of the villains, the designs of the enemies, the change in tone of the music, etc. can very quickly turn Kirby games from a romp in a snowy field into a nail-biting battle against an eldritch abomination that puts Cthulhu to shame.

I don't know what Kirby games most people have been playing, but Kirby games are already dark and sinister. If they made it any darker overall, it would likely reduce the impact of the more memorable, more powerful moments in Kirby games.

Kirino

Tatakae
I don't want to change it dramatically.I want Kirby to still be the adorable little fluff ball he is,just a slightly darker,and more complicated story,some creepy atmospheres(sorta like the boo houses in Mario)and slightly more imtimidating bosses.Just some small changes.

Hanyou

didn't build that
In that case, I don't think it would be so bad since, like I and a couple other people have pointed out, Kirby already has several dark elements.

So long as they kept it cute and dark at the appropriate times, it could work. Perhaps increase both extremes enough that the overall tone of the game still matches the appropriate Kirby atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom