• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Go Third Party?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, but according to someone here you ARE the character and you're IN the game cuz graphics... All immersion means is that you spend a lot of time doing something. You don't have to like your job to be immersed in it. The Wind Waker doesn't have to look realistic for it to be an engaging experience. Anyway, I think this guy lost his marbles or something.

Implying he had any marbles to begin with.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So if everything in Zelda looked like Skyrim that wouldn't seem odd to you? That seems odd to me. Some hyper-realistic bokoblin coming after you and when you kill him you get a little small key? You push some blocks and pick up some bomb flowers that look real? A real ****ing person pulls out a leaf and turns on a giant fan that sends them damn near out of orbit? Sorry but the concept and puzzles in TLoZ are much too fantastical to look real. It's just wrong.
When did I say I want a Skyrim based Zelda game? I just said I'm not completely against realism. Plus wanting realism doesn't imply completely realistic settings, characters, items etcetera.

Salem

SICK
When did I say I want a Skyrim based Zelda game? I just said I'm not completely against realism. Plus wanting realism doesn't imply completely realistic settings, characters, items etcetera.
Honestly, the most "realistic" looking Zelda, TP, isn't all that realistic looking to begin with.

When people say they want more realistic Zelda, what do they mean?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Honestly, the most "realistic" looking Zelda, TP, isn't all that realistic looking to begin with.

When people say they want more realistic Zelda, what do they mean?

Usually just TP Zelda. I myself call it "realistic", because for Zelda, that's as realistic as it gets. But the reason I want it is because I feel the series needs a balance between realism and cartoony. Wind Waker styled graphics are way too cartoony...but so far, we haven't really seen a realistic extreme for Zelda and I don't think we will. TP feels like the nice middle ground between cartoony and realistic. Although OoT 3DS styling might work...

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I'm not even sure a release of Zelda will help boost Wii U sales substantially at this point.

Welcome to this generation of Dreamcast.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
No they should not with less compition the price will most likely jump next gen.

Also no excuse other the lazyniss hm so people who just want to sit down after a long days work are lazy?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I never said you did. I said if that did happen would that not seem odd to you?

My original reply was "I'm not totally against the idea of realism". That some how turned into comparisons to Skyrim, which was not what I was referring to. However Skyrim, like Zelda, is a fantasy game based loosely on medieval times. So technically it wouldn't be bad to compare the two.

However, my reply was basically me saying I'm not against realism in Zelda. It doesn't imply that I want a fully realistic game. However, answering your question: no. I'd be prepared to explain why in another thread (if it's made) as it's kind of off topic here.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Off topic, but still being discussed here.

Am I the only one that thinks Skyrim isn't really immersive? Sure, it has amazing graphics, but there are a lot of things that take you out of the game. Zelda is one of the most immersive series I've ever play.

Not like immersion makes or breaks a game though.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
On PC and with mods, Skyrim can provide a much more immersive experience, the graphics look better than PS4 games, and the better controls allows you to interact with the game world more naturally.
With modding it could be, but that's not how it was meant to be played. I've seen modless LPs of Skyrim on PC and it's the exact same but better graphics and faster loading time.
Don't judge Skyrim until you played the PC version. Furthermore, how could you even say Zelda's more immersive when it's in THIRD PERSON? That itself takes major points off immersion.
First person isn't immersive at all. It's not like looking through the characters eyes. It looks more like the camera was just strapped to their face. And the position of the character's hands would be awkward if you held weapons like that for real. Even when you look straight down it looks awkward. Third person is more natural, and I found Skyrim better in third person. I may be nitpicking, but saying graphics and first person are the only things that make immersion is nitpicking to the extreme.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Furthermore, how could you even say Zelda's more immersive when it's in THIRD PERSON? That itself takes major points off immersion.

Again, immersion is achieved thorugh engagement. Not being physically in a character's head doesn't matter. Hell, games like Tetris, Civilisation, or even Minesweeper can be immersive even without characters of any kind. If you forget the world around you, become absorded in what you're seeing, doing, hearing, thinking, then you are immersed. Deep gameplay can have a far greater immersive effect than anything visual.

The fact that you seem to think immersion relies heavily on graphical clout and camera perspectives suggests that the technical aspect is what you favour in video games, so much so that you seem to neglect or out-right ignore the strength of gameplay, design, and artwork with regards to immersion. Video games don't require the latest hardware or the highest frame-rates or the most realistic effects to be immersive; they just have to make you forget the world around you. Playing Pong against a friend can be as immersive as hunting elk in Skyrim. It all depends on how you respond to it, not on what it looks like.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I think the reason is that you people define immersion differently.

Your definition of immersion is being immersed in the game at a high level, being "lost" in the gameplay and the story.

My definition of immersion is being immersed in the game at a low level, feeling that you're physical in the game world and experiencing the world exactly as the character would. Becoming the character, not just emotionally, but literally. Catching my drift?

Not saying your definition is wrong, just not the same as mine.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immersion said:
im·mer·sion noun \i-ˈmər-zhən, -shən\
: complete involvement in some activity or interest

Yes, I'm saying your definition is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom