• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Go Third Party?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Oh, but remember, that doesn't matter because the hardcore market had nothing to do with it. It was just the casuals. All the hardcore gamers went to Sony and Microsoft, and their successes had nothing to do with the mainstream market whatsoever. ;)

Damn, you're right. What was I thinking? Nintendo is ****ed.

#RIPNintendo

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
You've already stated the difficulty in that. There's tons of Emulators for Android. They're going to have to give people a reason to pay for games they can emulate just as easily for free. Even if it's free to play with microtransactions, people would rather play the original and not have to deal with them.

It's not like everyone on Android downloads them, there's still a humongous potential market there for people who might like some official Nintendo games advertised with additional features. But regarding what you said, the same can be said for PC. Why release any game on PC when they can so easily be pirated, and are? Because not everyone pirates despite the option being there. Similarly, not everyone on Android emulates games despite the option being there, and it's hardly a risky endeavour for Nintendo either, we're not talking triple-A development budgets here.

But these are the sorts of avenues Nintendo could actually explore, which other companies have done.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't get your sarcasm. Even the hardcore gamers who initially bought the Wii didn't end up getting good use out of it as there lacks hardcore titles on it.

Who the hell are these hardcore gamers you speak of because they sound really cool. Do they play games surrounded by barbed wire? Do they sit down on couches that are on fire? Or are they the ******* audience that buy a console for a yearly dose of Call of Duty? I'm a gamer and I got plenty of enjoyment out of my Wii, still do. My Wii didn't need explosions or army men to be considered hardcore.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's not like Nintendo hasn't really exhausted all of their options either...they could very easily go back to the Motion Gaming plan and try to capture the casual market. MS has crippled themselves with their rep and their M-rated games turn off casuals and families (this is why I don't think Nintendo's done much to advertise COD), so Nintendo has a fighting chance at getting the Wii's numbers back. Alternatively, they could copy their competition, grab third parties, and use the first party titles to give themselves a boost. It's just...they need to stop being different for the sake of being different. Being different for the sake of a different audience is fine, but unless that's their future plan, they really should stop. Simply being different makes it harder to attract support...particularly from third parties.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Who the hell are these hardcore gamers you speak of because they sound really cool. Do they play games surrounded by barbed wire? Do they sit down on couches that are on fire? Or are they the ******* audience that buy a console for a yearly dose of Call of Duty? I'm a gamer and I got plenty of enjoyment out of my Wii, still do. My Wii didn't need explosions or army men to be considered hardcore.

All of my ^.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Oh no, CoD is actually a casual series.

Hardcore means a lot of time dedication. Always looking to master every game you come across. Playing extremely competitively, not just for fun. Playing sophisticated and challenging games.

Look at the Dota or CS community.

As for games, look at game like The Witcher, Starcraft, or ARMA.
So LoL and all that stuff in ONLY ONE GENRE
also witcher 3 is coming to wii u I believe.

Nintendo has been around since the 1800's and their still going pretty strong, I don't think they will ever go third party.

And a fun fact if you guys don't already know this or didn't believe me, Nintendo was founded in 1889, they produced playing cards.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Not just one genre. CS is a hardcore arena FPS. Dota is a MOBA, Starcraft is a RTS, ARMA is a hardcore simulation FPS.

And Mercedes is right. CDPR said Witcher 3 is a next-gen game that won't be toned down to accommodate the Wii U.
Ok then sorry for this misconception I must of misread something in my search but, aren't MOBA are more specific form RTS?

What makes them so hard core any way?

There seems to be no H&S in them. (Your not going to find that one in your technical dictionary). These game just seem cold at least to me.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam

Hardcore means a lot of time dedication. Always looking to master every game you come across. Playing extremely competitively, not just for fun. Playing sophisticated and challenging games.

...No. Just no.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo

Your definition of what is "hardcore" is incredibly vague, in fact it doesn't even make sense in some aspects. You are applying hardcore to games you are dedicated to, thus you are a hardcore fan of said games. That, to you, make it a hardcore game. You see first hand the dedication of the community even more so yourself; however, your view on games/series that you're not as familiar with is shallow.

A hardcore game doesn't really make that much sense. Well it could, but it doesn't really give a game and identify, in fact it's an awful identity to give a game because it's so vague. Hardcore essentially means devotion, dedication etc. so it applies more to the fanbase than the game. So I guess you could say a game is defined as "hardcore" through it's fanbase -- maybe you were alluding to that I don't know. However, this is where your viewpoints block your outlook on other games.

You're basically looking at this from a biased perspective, your own. Any game can have a hardcore following - even the simplest. I mentioned this in another thread, but look at a series like Super Smash Bros: a fighter revolving around Nintendo's prime franchises though that only scratches the surface of this game's incredible depth and how hardcore it's fanbase is. Even Call of Duty has hardcore following and a big one at that. You see? your definition of a hardcore game can apply to most, if not the majority of all games. Complexity and simplicity aren't defining factors of what is and isn't hardcore - it depends on the fans.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Your definition of what is "hardcore" is incredibly vague, in fact it doesn't even make sense in some aspects. You are applying hardcore to games you are dedicated to, thus you are a hardcore fan of said games. That, to you, make it a hardcore game. You see first hand the dedication of the community even more so yourself; however, your view on games/series that you're not as familiar with is shallow.

A hardcore game doesn't really make that much sense. Well it could, but it doesn't really give a game and identify, in fact it's an awful identity to give a game because it's so vague. Hardcore essentially means devotion, dedication etc. so it applies more to the fanbase than the game. So I guess you could say a game is defined as "hardcore" through it's fanbase -- maybe you were alluding to that I don't know. However, this is where your viewpoints block your outlook on other games.

You're basically looking at this from a biased perspective, your own. Any game can have a hardcore following - even the simplest. I mentioned this in another thread, but look at a series like Super Smash Bros: a fighter revolving around Nintendo's prime franchises though that only scratches the surface of this game's incredible depth and how hardcore it's fanbase is. Even Call of Duty has hardcore following and a big one at that. You see? your definition of a hardcore game can apply to most, if not the majority of all games. Complexity and simplicity aren't defining factors of what is and isn't hardcore - it depends on the fans.

You're almost there but not quite. It has very little to do with the fanbase and more the player. Having a huge following doesn't make the game hardcore, just popular. The main thing here is, there's no such thing as a hardcore or casual game. Playing a certain game doesn't make you a "hardcore" or "casual" gamer. For lack of better words, hardcore and casual are more play styles then they are a defining aspect of a video game or the player. Am I more of a hardcore gamer for collecting all the stars in a Mario game than someone else who plays video games as much as I do who didn't? No, I just had more personal enjoyment with that game. We're still both gamers.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Hardcore itself is a pretty vague term...but yes, I think most people would use it to refer to players who are dedicated to gaming, seek challenge, and enjoy M rated titles...or games that appeal to these people

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom