• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Go Third Party?

Salem

SICK
What kind of logic is that? The sales of Nintendo's hardware is poor and Nintendo also has the weakest hardware. Unless you mean Sony and M$ should both go develop for PC, which Sony is already doing, I fail to see your reasoning.

The Xbox One has already outsold the Wii U in some countries.
Those aren't good enough reason for Nintendo to quit making consoles, as long it makes a profit out of games in the end that's pretty much all that matters, financially.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nintendo makes games their way and that's why their systems are always so...different. It's part of the reason why I think they've stayed in hardware. I'd rather see Sony and MS go third party. Nintendo's software may be weak and it may not be traditional, but I seldom see the corrupt practices come from Nintendo's consoles. I don't see DLC scams and BS micro transactions from Nintendo consoles nearly as much as its competitors. Also, their systems are cheap...which matters more to me than graphics.

EDIT: Also...just going to address the elephant in the room...but you seem very ill informed and uneducated in several aspects of your various arguments. Low sales aside, I'd say the Nintendo hardware department is in better shape than Sony's and MS. Yes, I'm serious.

DarkestLink

I think I agreed that it was weak...I was referring more towards what's going on with the companies right now and how things are working.

If Nintendo stopped making consoles it would be the end of their games. No more Super Mario, No more Zelda, No more Fire Emblem etc. Nintendo would rather die than go third party and I don't see them doing that anytime soon, in fact ever.

Sheik

:the:
If Nintendo stopped making consoles it would be the end of their games. No more Super Mario, No more Zelda, No more Fire Emblem etc. Nintendo would rather die than go third party and I don't see them doing that anytime soon, in fact ever.

I... agree with this.
Nintendo's games have always matched up with their hardware. They kind of make some games to specifically pair with the system in, uh, harmony. They make their unique games to uniquely match up with their unique systems. Their freedom would be restricted if they had to put their games on a different system.
And Nintendo enjoys its freedom.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Care to explain why their games would die? They can make the same games for other platforms.

It's just part of Nintendo's culture. They are literally "all or nothing". I think it was Iwata who said this, but they would rather shut down completely than go third party.

Anyway as to the topic, I would definitely like to see Nintendo go third party. I'm tired of the kiddy ******** that overlays all of their consoles (at least from the Zelda side of things). I want to see amazing graphics, realistic art styles, and I want tons of players. I want online interaction. I want all of the stuff that Nintendo just won't - due to their thinking patterns - participate in.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Controversial topics again I see.

Well, Nintendo are still a hugely successful company. At the moment the Wii U is doing bad, but I'm still certain it will turnover a profit when all is said and done. However, even if it was to theoretically fail does that mean Nintendo should give up? Hell no. Nintendo's is the most established gaming company and the most long standing - it has a heritage and it's still widely successful even as of now.

I get the idea that you're getting on to Nintendo is a company on the edge well they're not. Do I mention the DS? Do I mention the Wii? Hell do I even mention the 3DS? There you have 3 consoles which are massive commercial success. The Wii U has had a slow start, but Nintendo aren't in a desperate situation in order to make rhos incredibly stupid decision.

From a business perspective, you are giving away one of Nintendo's biggest strengths, it's 1st party titles. That would mean no need for their own consoles and that would cause an incredible drop in revenue. I can't believe that anyone would think this is actually a good idea. Also, regarding the picture, I don't care that much for graphics. A lot of the PC community are incredibly picky about this - the logic of a game is 10x better because it runs in higher frames is ludicrous. The separation between graphical power from 7th to 8th gen doesn't even seem like much to the naked eye and it doesn't greatly detract from the experience. Zelda is series that isn't first and foremost about wow look at this game's visuals; it never has been.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why are you all so hostile. He asked a simple question: should Nintendo go third party. He did not say "Nintendo and all of its followers should go to hell and freeze over". God loves you all and I do too. Stop with the negativity and hostiltiy, this is not good for a proper Community, please just cease and desist!!

Now again i agree that Nintendo should go third party because they do nothing besides games that would make anyone even anything. Gamenesia tells it better http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/no-one-should-want-nintendo-to-stop-making-hardware

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think this guy is just a die hard fanboy for PC and wants to see everything else die. What's with all these dumb threads about Nintendo being doomed and better off third party as well as the end of all consoles? Really? You seem to base all your arguments around power. Just because the Wii U isn't as powerful as the other consoles doesn't mean they should go third party.

For example, what the hell does this...

I'm pretty well informed about hardware, being a PC gamer, and I have to say that the hardware in the Wii U is very weak. It's certainly not even close to the PS4 or Xbone.

Let's see...

CPU: PowerPC 1.24 GHz tri-core. So many things wrong with this. PPC is an obsolete architecture. There's nothing impressive about a 1.24 GHz clock speed, and tri-cores have been around for nearly a decade. The PS4 and Xbone both have 8-core x86 processors both clocked higher than the Wii U.

GPU: AMD Latte GPU capable of 350 GFLOPS. This is only slight better than the PS3. The PS4 and Xbone's GPUs are 1300 GFLOPS and 1800 GFLOPs respectfully.

RAM: 2 GB DDR3. There are smartphones with more RAM than this. The PS4 and Xbone both have 8 GB each.

See what I mean?

have to do with anything? Nintendo's always been weak in power but strong on innovation and easy on wallets. We've already been through the whole "Genesis does what Nintendon't" and it means absolutely nothing for Nintendo as a company. The Wii was the most successful console last gen, and that thing was practically a Gamecube with motion controls.

Just because the Wii U is struggling right now, doesn't mean Nintendo should just call it quits. Damn, I can't imagine anyone giving up on life just because they came across some hard times...

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Worst case scenario is Nintendo goes completely handheld...but I find even that to be unlikely.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't think it's time for them to go full-blown third-party and do a SEGA yet, waaaaaaaay too early a call, but I do think they should explore other avenues and stop being so afraid to adapt. Pachter made an actual good suggestion on his webcast the other day, for a change, that they could start putting old GBA games onto iOS/Android, like Square keep putting up old Final Fantasy games, to try and get some money out of the lucrative mobile market, either paid for or free with some microtransactions. It's worked really well for Square so far, and people would want them considering how much the GBA emulators are downloaded on Android. They'd probably have to make them free though because of that.

I think we'll know whether they should or shouldn't go third-party, at least on consoles considering their still quite healthy handheld endeavours, whenever their next console comes out. If that tanks like the Wii U I think then maybe it's time to at least consider launching their games across other platforms. Until then, though, I think it's way too early for us to think they should/will become a third-party developer. Even if that does happen they could still manage 1 more console, Nintendo do have quite the cash pile after the booming successes of the Wii and DS afterall, every company's allowed at least 1 or 2 duff products before we count them out, but I give them 2 more attempts maximum to turn things around in the console area before I'd say just stop.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The Wii was the most successful console last gen, and that thing was practically a Gamecube with motion controls.

Oh, but remember, that doesn't matter because the hardcore market had nothing to do with it. It was just the casuals. All the hardcore gamers went to Sony and Microsoft, and their successes had nothing to do with the mainstream market whatsoever. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom