• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Nintendo Get Rid of Link?

H

Hero of Winds11

Should Nintendo get rid of Link? If so.... Who will be the new hero/heroine? How will they explain it in the games?

Personally i think Link should stay.

Big Octo

=^)
... It's pretty biased to say something like this on a Zelda forum. There's really no good reason to get rid of Link, at all. He's here to say, no reason to worry or doubt. It would be rough to make the games, so why do it? As I said before, the only answers you'll get on this site are no.

Last edited:
... It's pretty biased to say something like this on a Zelda forum. There's really no good reason to get rid of Link, at all. He's here to say, no reason to worry or doubt. It would be rough to make the games, so why do it? As I said before, the only answers you'll get on this site are yes.

I think you mean...no :p

And yeah, its indeed a strange question here :dry:

H

Hero of Winds11

You're right, thanks for letting me know! I'm not even a teen yet and i'm new to fourms of any kind so i saw something like this and thought that it was ok to post something like this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, get rid of Link. He's the worst character gaming has ever seen. He sucks and I hate him. :lol:

Really though, I wouldn't mind an LoZ with a female protagonist (*NOT* Zelda, Midna or any of those kinds of characters) and Link could be a side character of sorts. Just for one game, to see how it'd work out. I mean, we got BS Ancient Stone Tablets with two Mascots and that game was actually great. Link doesn't *have* to be the only hero(ine) out and about.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
having a game with a different protagonist could be good but that would need to be a one off, Link is one of my favourite game characters so i would cry if they got rid of him

MW7

Well Link is a link to the player so I wouldn't throw that away. I'm a little annoyed that Link has basically transformed into a character. However, I think you should be able to choose the gender of Link as well as control other characters as well. The instances in Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks in which you could switch between Link and another character were some of my favorite parts of those games. I think stuff like that should happen more often, but I also think Link should transition back from being a character to being a link to the player.

why should they get rid of him hes the hero of time he saved hyrule many times so they have no reason to get rid of link

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
My take on it is: Who's Link? It's pretty clear that many of the Links throughout the series are not really the same character, the only reason many see him/them as one is because a lot of people insist on referring to the character as Link. Is he a character, or just an iconic image of the series?

Now, getting rid of the image of the green-clad kid would make the games pretty unrecognizable, in my opinion. As well-known as The Legend of Zelda's winning formula is at this point, that'd be making a change to a pretty familiar aesthetic. I don't really count games like Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks in which you had the choice of a second run without the green clothes, since you still had to play the game with them to get to that point.

Last edited:

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I don't see any harm in making a Zelda game with a different protagonist. At least once, as an experiment. Maybe not for one of the major consoles, but I handheld one could be a good experiment.

Kitkat

Gimme a Break
When I started reading this I thought you were crazy, but when I thought about it, it really wouldn't matter to me. Link doesn't have a personality anyway besides, running around, and screaming at everything like a maniac. The other characters are the ones with the personalties, like skull kid, zelda, and midna. I actually like the idea of getting rid of link now and having a changeable character.

It could be interesting to have a protagonist that doesn't look like Link typically does.

Miyamoto and Nintendo are holding on to the belief that Link should never have a voice and should be a blank state so the player feels like the character, and Zelda games are mostly defined by their gameplay, so they could probably get away with using a totally different character, or at least a version of Link that looks completely different than the typical Link with elf ears, light brown hair, and green tunic.
They pretty much did this with Wind Waker when they introduced Toon Link, and some people hated it because in their minds it wasn't typical Link.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Why get rid of Link? Meaning this would getting rid of Legend of Zelda Series. Just like JuiceJ said. I know that some of us would like to see Link be something else for change, rather than being a Hero, but getting rid of him would be awful. There's no need to get rid of Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom